High Roller II - ust?

July 6, 2012, 8:44 p.m.

Just wondering if the high roller 2 is ust/tubeless.

Thx yo.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

July 7, 2012, 12:05 a.m.

No idea.

But the inebriated part of me must say, I remember when high rollers were top notch and marzocchi ruled the earth. :drunk:

July 7, 2012, 12:49 p.m.

Just wondering if the high roller 2 is ust/tubeless.

Thx yo.

Nope, no such luck. I wanted to try a set after having a really good set of LUST High Rollers but they're only UST in the original HR. Instead, I'm on a set of Butcher Controls. We'll see how they play out.

July 7, 2012, 2:47 p.m.

It may not be officially tubeless but I haven't met a Maxxis tire yet that didn't seal up tubeless without issue. I haven't tried the new HR2 though

July 8, 2012, 12:52 p.m.

It may not be officially tubeless but I haven't met a Maxxis tire yet that didn't seal up tubeless without issue. I haven't tried the new HR2 though

I has the HR2 unmounted and figured they just stopped stamping them UST b/c, really, why wouldnt it just go that way.

Soo just goo it up as per usual and I should be good to go you say?

July 9, 2012, 2:18 p.m.

it'll prolly seal with fluid but you still won't have the UST bead

Companies making 'normal' rims and tires with a UST bead are smart

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 9, 2012, 7:52 p.m.

I had regular High Rollers 2.35 60a mounted tubeless (to tubeless rims). Lasted less than a week of riding in Pemberton before putting holes in the center of the tires (front and rear). Not sure if HR 2 casing is thicker but Id save the hassle and not bother with trying tubeless with non tubeless tires.

July 9, 2012, 8:01 p.m.

Id save the hassle and not bother with trying tubeless with non tubeless tires.

sorry but that's ridiculous.

more people running tubeless with non-tubeless tires than tubeless specific. In fact the only time I've had issues with tubeless is using DH UST Maxxis tires.

July 9, 2012, 8:06 p.m.

Maxxis is behind the ball with their (supposedly in the works) tubeless-ready bead.
Their regular tires are general ok until you push hard, then burping is a problem.

July 9, 2012, 8:15 p.m.

I had regular High Rollers 2.35 60a mounted tubeless (to tubeless rims). Lasted less than a week of riding in Pemberton before putting holes in the center of the tires (front and rear). Not sure if HR 2 casing is thicker but Id save the hassle and not bother with trying tubeless with non tubeless tires.

Pemby rocks are tough on tires.

I tore a side wall on PHD last week. Just a single ply super tacky minion though, c'est la vie and I didn't notice it until a few days later.

I also had the center of the tread puncture problem on some Minion EXO's, but within a few minutes the Stan's did its job and I was on my way.

July 9, 2012, 8:30 p.m.

Pemby rocks are tough on tires.

I tore a side wall on PHD last week. Just a single ply super tacky minion though, c'est la vie and I didn't notice it until a few days later.

I also had the center of the tread puncture problem on some Minion EXO's, but within a few minutes the Stan's did its job and I was on my way.

Yep, it's a good test of a tire up here. Tore a gash in the sidewall of a brand new Butcher Control this weekend. Have had several problems putting holes through the tread of Minion EXOs too.

Hopefully the Specialized SX casing is tougher and will hold up to rocks, that's what I'll be trying next as I really like the Butcher tread over the Minion

July 9, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

Went over a year on my HR LUST with zero problems. UST wheels, UST tires. No flats, no leaks, no burps, glorious until the tires wore out. Thought I'd change it up a bit and got a set of Butcher Controls with 2Bliss. Was going to try HR2's but wanted some kind of tubeless compatibility statement.

So far, can't get the Butchers to stay inflated longer than a day. I just de-mounted the front tonight and cleaned the rim and the bead on the tire spotless hoping that a piece of junk got in there and was stopping it from sealing. Put in fresh cup of Stan's too. If it's flat tomorrow, then I'm at a loss. At that point I'll throw the worn out HR's back on to see if it's the rubber causing it.

Most tubeless folks I know that didn't do proper UST/UST or something compatible has had burping, leaking issues, etc. That said, I think that had more to do with people pushing the limits of low pressure than the beads/goop not sealing. Tough to say conclusively.

July 9, 2012, 10:50 p.m.

Their regular tires are general ok until you push hard, then burping is a problem.

That burping is the general problem I've had. Add to that, the tire almost rolling off the rim. For those wondering, its a ZTR Flow and was a UST Minion DHF on the rear.

So whats comparable to a HR2 thats bonafide UST? Nobby nics?

July 10, 2012, 7:54 a.m.

Nics are nowhere near HR2 territory.
Try butcher sx. Bit heavier, bit softer rubber (unless you have the new terra max compound), bit faster (shorter knobs, so bit less soft loam traction), good tubeless bead. Sx casing much beefier than control (200g heavier, slightly softer rubber), will survive aggressive Pemby riding much better.

July 10, 2012, 9:32 a.m.

sorry but that's ridiculous.

more people running tubeless with non-tubeless tires than tubeless specific. In fact the only time I've had issues with tubeless is using DH UST Maxxis tires.

Ive run numerous non tubeless tires (high rollers, nevegals, minions, butcher sx to name a few), sooner than later I'll put a hole in the tread and sometimes sidewall that is too big for the Stans sealant to plug. I even put a hole through the tread on a pair of Conti tubeless mtn kings. I'm not a hack I swear! haha. I found on some tires it may take a few days for the tire to seal around the bead. Lots of shaking and reinflating but Ive always managed to get a seal, and this was on a dt 5.1d rim with a stans conversion kit.

The one exception is the Butcher Sx I had mounted tubeless on the rear with a Mavic 823. Worked great and never a flat. Just slow rolling for the summer I found.

Is the tire casing on the HR2 thicker than the HR?