Hey single-bike people - how often do you get a new bike?

Jan. 31, 2018, 1:19 p.m.

And how many days per season do you get in?

I'm about to embark on my third season on mine and though it's doing well I'm getting a little antsy. The third season is usually where things start going wrong more bigly.

Does your upgradeitis tend to drive your new bike buying? Or do you wait until your bike gets a little long in the tooth to start shopping?

On one hand my current bike is working great. It's easily the best bike I've ever had. But bikes don't last forever. And by the end of the 2018 season I'll be lucky to give it away but it's worth something to sell right now.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Last edited by: craw on Jan. 31, 2018, 1:44 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Jan. 31, 2018, 1:51 p.m.

Average about a season and a half per bike.

I ride a lot.

Jan. 31, 2018, 1:52 p.m.

Actually, a season and a half per frame and fork.  I go through parts like shedding skin.

Jan. 31, 2018, 2:45 p.m.

Even if a bike's not worn out at the 1.5 season mark do you just start shopping for another?

Jan. 31, 2018, 2:48 p.m.

This answer will vary depending on how and where you ride it?  Reductimat put in a gazillion feet in the park this past season, thats gonna be tough on any bike. 

I ride a fair bit, but rarely in the park.  I dont think Ive ever 'had' to replace a bike, most often its an upgraditis thing.  Im also not too hard on equipment and take care of things before they become a problem if I can.  Im only just replacing my current bike that Ive had since 2012-2013 ( 26" 4 LIFE), almost exclusively because I want to, not because its on its last legs.

Jan. 31, 2018, 4:12 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Even if a bike's not worn out at the 1.5 season mark do you just start shopping for another?

I've broken a frame on a high speed drop once in my life.  I don't ever want that to happen again.

1.5 years has been just a pretty consistent average, not something I came to through science.

A big driver on this has been the changing standards forcing me along a path of full replacement combined with a, "oooooo that looks purty".

Jan. 31, 2018, 11:13 p.m.

Sorry, not single-bike, but two bikes. Usually replace them after 5 years, by that time they're pretty much clapped out (even though I maintain them and replace parts regularly). I'd say I average about 150-200 rides a year (closer to 200), those range from 1 hour loops to all-day adventures. No park, 2 races last season (1 enduro, endurance "marathon" race), 4 planned this year. After 3.5/4 years, the repairs/replacements seem to start to get more frequent and more expensive. Moreover, after 5 years, the difference in geo/spec/suspension is notable.

Feb. 1, 2018, 9:58 a.m.

By any of these numbers I'm a little ahead if I replace now. But I'll be into clapped-out unsellable city by the end of 2018. I guess it's either commit now, or ride it into the ground.

Feb. 1, 2018, 10:10 a.m.

Also depends on if there is something you think you want to replace your current ride with?

Feb. 1, 2018, 10:39 a.m.

Every 2.3 mths... 😉  but seriously I used to upgrade every year when simpler standards allowed such folly.   Usually through frame and a few component upgrades.  Nearly impossible to do that anymore.   I own a bike shop so in my observations most riders buying high end bikes are in it for at least 2 seasons.  Racers generally only 1 as they want the latest and greatest.

Feb. 2, 2018, 7:38 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

By any of these numbers I'm a little ahead if I replace now. But I'll be into clapped-out unsellable city by the end of 2018. I guess it's either commit now, or ride it into the ground.

if the bike in question is the Wreckoning, what would 'upgrade' to? from what i've read it would be tough search to best the riding experience you would get from that bike. and being a carbon wundermachine, i don't believe it claps out. i'm sure all pivots and worn parts could be replaced, boingers tuned and refreshed, rolling parts as needed. are you looking for a longer bike, i guess the Wrecker is a bit short by some very current standards. give small wheels another go? i've thought about going long travel 29 but i really like having both wheel sizes as the small wheels are just so nimble and cool feeling. 2 girlfriends are fun.

Two girlfriends are expensive, IIRC.

Feb. 2, 2018, 10:35 a.m.

I'm not single, but I upgrade my bike once every 2 years...but I buy used bikes...so no idea what that means for your question

Feb. 2, 2018, 11:20 a.m.

I don't ride as much as I want too...or really should...haha, but I am on my 4th season on the Prime. Been antsy for a new bike for 2 years now...but have yet to ride a bike that is better. Usually, I break the frame before the two-year mark...so this is something new for me...lol.

Last edited by: pedalhound on Feb. 2, 2018, 11:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 2, 2018, 11:33 a.m.

Maybe it's time for a hardtail. I'm now the right age for my honourary Chromag.

Feb. 2, 2018, 4:01 p.m.

If this is indeed a Wreckoning, it'll still hold notable value even if its clapped out. As long as its refurbishable you won't need to worry about riding it into the ground.