Hey single-bike people - how often do you get a new bike?

Feb. 2, 2018, 7:55 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Also depends on if there is something you think you want to replace your current ride with?

I've been on an approximate 1.5 year upgrade cycle for decades. Constantly chasing the next evolution.

I feel like the industry has finally arrived somewhere though. The geo and fit are dialed, the technology doesn't get in the way. All those changes I wished for all those years have been made. Man, I'm satisfied. 

Blind Bearing puller, bearing press, regular suspension maintenance. My steed is going to stay out of the carbon cesspool and under my butt till it's uncool and kids point and laugh at it. 

My bike that is, not my butt. My butt will always be an object of admiration.

Feb. 2, 2018, 8:03 p.m.

One doesn't find a new bike; a new bike finds them.

Feb. 3, 2018, 7:49 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Posted by: shoreboy

Also depends on if there is something you think you want to replace your current ride with?

I've been on an approximate 1.5 year upgrade cycle for decades. Constantly chasing the next evolution.

I feel like the industry has finally arrived somewhere though. The geo and fit are dialed, the technology doesn't get in the way. All those changes I wished for all those years have been made. Man, I'm satisfied. 

Blind Bearing puller, bearing press, regular suspension maintenance. My steed is going to stay out of the carbon cesspool and under my butt till it's uncool and kids point and laugh at it. 

My bike that is, not my butt. My butt will always be an object of admiration.

I was thinking along the same lines. Bikes are a pretty mature product now and other than a few bikes outside the box things are pretty similar. So there is less reason to buy a new bike for new technology. I’m super happy to be on my first generation Bronson. It’s got three summers on it which I haven’t done in ages. And I only have one mountain bike so all off-roading are on it. 

Changing standards is one reason I got the Bronson. 650 wheels seemed to be taking over and I could already see 26 tire selection getting thin. So one has to decide, purchase a stock of tires so I have them and worry about rims if a when I wreck one and run the bike into the ground because with the small wheel size it was already worth less in most peoples eyes rightly or wrongly. Now it’s do I want to ditch the Bronson for a boosted bike? No because I got some nice wider rims used from a buddy and found a new non boost DVO  Diamond so the bike is good for at least another season. 

When I was racing XC though a new bike annually was what I did. Big miles and racing 25 times a season put the hurt on a bike and they were not so tough those light XC bikes.

Feb. 3, 2018, 8:32 p.m.

A blind-bearing puller is the one thing I've yet to buy and I fucking need one.  I think I could get away with a cheap Chinese one ala KMS or Summit.. do you agree?  Where did you get yours Hepcat?

Feb. 3, 2018, 9:18 p.m.

I have one if you are really in a bind.  I think I got mine from Princess Auto.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/blind-bearing-puller-set/A-p8104036e

Feb. 3, 2018, 9:47 p.m.

Thanks shoreboy, I forgot about Princess Auto.. probably the same one that KMS sells.  Would you agree that for the amount it's needed for bikes, it'd make no difference than buying "a good one"?

Feb. 3, 2018, 9:53 p.m.

I didn't buy one yet. I'm going to buy the Enduro Fork Seals puller for $144, unless someone knows of a better suggestion? 

Up till now I've gotten by with prying off seal covers and regreasing bearings, but it's time to yank them.

Feb. 3, 2018, 10:07 p.m.

That might have been where I got mine from come to think of it.  Its pretty good quality and works well.  It isnt a super precision piece of equipment, so im not sure how much difference there would be between a 'good' and 'bad' set.   Im happy to lend mine out to anyone who wants to come by (East Van) and yank a few bearings out of their frame.

Feb. 3, 2018, 10:15 p.m.

Current bike is a 2017 Range and my old bike is a 2002 Banshee Scream. I guess my turnover is 15 years!

Feb. 4, 2018, 11:17 a.m.

Ha!  Very similar... current bike is a 2017 Norco Sight... previous bike was 2007 Brodie Hoodlum (with a bunch of upgrades/changes along the way of course).

So 10 years for me!

Feb. 4, 2018, 3:03 p.m.

From a 2005 Reign to a 2015 Scout. Massive, confidence inspiring difference with modern geo.

Feb. 5, 2018, 1:58 p.m.

roughly the same here - 2005 Kona Stinky to 2015 Kona Process -  leaps and bounds ahead of where I was. And now with pedalling

Feb. 6, 2018, 3:17 p.m.

Lasted almost 4 years on my first trail bike since I got back into MTB a few years ago. Lasted only 2 summers on my DH bike before buying a pimp rig, but to be fair the first DH was a total beater.

Feb. 7, 2018, 3:38 a.m.

I still ride two rather old 26", a ten yeasr old Cove STD that had not been ridden properly before last year where I basically logged about 500-600 kms downhill (1000km bike parks, lift rides incl). I plan on riding it until it breaks, simply because I do not have the funds to buy a new 27.5"....and I test rode the Commencal Furious. Oh boy...that was a revelation.

The other one is a 6 or 7 year old Stylus and I know its shortcomings (short bike, feels more like a bmx and the wheel size again) but I want to ride it until it dies as well or I no longer get any spare parts, notably tires.

Feb. 7, 2018, 9:02 a.m.

This thread made me curious about how many bikes I've owned since I moved to BC and started taking MTB seriously in 2007. My tally is 21 bikes,  I think that I have a serious problem.

Last edited by: rnayel on Feb. 7, 2018, 9:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.