Hey guys, picked up a santa cruz!!

March 11, 2007, 7:14 p.m.

thanks guys for the comments, i used to be a member here in 2002, and had a 2001 yellow kona stinky…. did whistler a few times…

i picked up some stuff today, a 26" mag 30, a 3.0 gazzoloddi for the rear, and a new full face..

so cranks are basically garbage? that hurts they are raceface forged!…

the bike is a medium, and im tall, but im going to use it this season and swap the frame out for something larger if i want to stick with it….. basically a bike for me to push up hill and ride down! cant wait!

the rear shock is on its way to push industries, has a 800 lbs spring on it?

thanks guys

Gettin' back into it!

March 11, 2007, 7:17 p.m.

and dont swap for a 24 man. how much did you get that bike for?

bought a 01 kona stinky with super t pros, etc etc, rc rear shock for 380 dollers!! then i put about 100 into it and traded it for this bike

im ahead of the game!

Gettin' back into it!

March 11, 2007, 8:13 p.m.

Holy March is like the revisit-early 2000 era month.

S8 is good, but I had problems with cracks, keep it checked from time to time (although you don't notice it too much)

oh hai!

March 11, 2007, 10:19 p.m.

no cracks on this baby,:dizzy:

picking up some diablos cranks this week hopefully of this guy from sombrio..

i need some pedels still..

also which spokes should i go with

Gettin' back into it!

March 12, 2007, 12:42 p.m.

Keep an extra shock handy those things are shock eaters. Even if the rear end gets cracks in it I have never seen one completely fail and have seen plenty of them with cracks and rode for years after.

I'm the best at being modest !

March 12, 2007, 6:28 p.m.

Those bikes are actually really fast when pointed downhill… as mentioned keep an eye on the swingarm for cracks and definitely buy an extra shock if you see one kicking around on the cheap because chances are you will blow yours up.

No reason to replace those cranks, I think most people were commenting on the length because most DHs use shorter cranks. Those RaceFace LPs are sweet, you just need to make sure everything is torqued down… they usually wear out where they interface with the BB spindle. Spindle = steel, Cranks = aluminum, Interface = Square Taper… if you ride hard you'll wear the interface eventually.

3.0 tires were great pre-sticky rubber and back when everyone was riding on round skinnies. Now almost all the skinnies are topped and new tires grip better with more pressure. I would probably swap those suckers out for a set of 2.5s… drop a few pounds and roll faster to boot.

Monster Ts (provided those aren't a set of T2s… in which case… buyer beware) are a sweet, smooth riding fork. Overkill unless you are a big guy… but as long as you aren't planning to climb at all you should be good to go.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

March 12, 2007, 6:31 p.m.

also which spokes should i go with

Plain-Jane 14G spokes. DT or WheelSmith or Sapim or Marwi or whatever your wheel builder uses. The name of the guy who builds your wheels is way more important then the name brand of spoke they use.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

March 12, 2007, 6:39 p.m.

going with competition spokes

im going with the 3.0 in the rear, its got a maxxis mobster 2.7 up front…

im a big guy so the 03 monster ts arent overkill..

the rear shock is in the mail to push industries

going with saint cranks hopefully..

should be built nice, then if its too small, ill try and get a larger framer of something!

Gettin' back into it!

March 12, 2007, 7:08 p.m.

I'm mudpuppy's roommate.

keep the 24 in the rear. If you run 26 when you ramp up for a jump is rubs the back seat.

As for cracking..it can be welded, not that big of a deal. on where the derailuer hanger is..those bracket move to the nearest to the crank holes as apprarently they crack there as well.

I've had mine for about 3 yrs and love it. I did pick up a cannondale as xc ride.
One thing to look for is an Avy shock made a huge difference over the rc..which I still have.

If you have any question feel free to pm. They are heavy bikes but fun as hell going downhill and you can ride whistler all day and not get tired.

March 13, 2007, 2:55 p.m.

cool thanks man!

picked up some holtsfeller cranks, some v8 pedels, and the bb i got was wrong, found one on pinkbike and he is CODing it

my rear shock is off to push for an overhaul,

also i am a fabricator welder at work, and we have aluminum machines ordered coming in soon, so if it does crack, Ill just die grind a groove in it past the crack, and weld it up,

hopefully it gets through this season with no damage and i can sell it and get a larger frame and swap all my parts onto it:fro:

the 24 is getting changed 100%, my seat will be a bit higher then normal so i probally wont have issues there…

i also moved those rear hangers to the farthest out hole, and no cracks their as well

thanks for your help , i cant wait to rip whistler on this thing!!

Gettin' back into it!

March 13, 2007, 2:58 p.m.

My rommate loves his super 8…its the perfect whistler bike and has never had an issue with the rear swingarm…but bought an extra just in case. I have not seen a chainring that big since I used to have a 52 on my XC rig (pre suspension days)…..other than that ride it like this till stuff wears out just make sure that that suspension is tuned right and have a blast on it eh.

yeha the ring was a 46 tooth! haha, the cranks i bought came with a 34 jobber..

i need to sell my blackspire tensioner and get a tensioner

Gettin' back into it!

March 13, 2007, 3:18 p.m.

cool thanks man!

picked up some holtsfeller cranks, some v8 pedels, and the bb i got was wrong, found one on pinkbike and he is CODing it

my rear shock is off to push for an overhaul,

also i am a fabricator welder at work, and we have aluminum machines ordered coming in soon, so if it does crack, Ill just die grind a groove in it past the crack, and weld it up,

hopefully it gets through this season with no damage and i can sell it and get a larger frame and swap all my parts onto it:fro:

the 24 is getting changed 100%, my seat will be a bit higher then normal so i probally wont have issues there…

i also moved those rear hangers to the farthest out hole, and no cracks their as well

thanks for your help , i cant wait to rip whistler on this thing!!

If you sell your 24 or want to swap for a 26 let me know, I have the same bike although its a 02. I am pretty sure its the same hub and axle width? I am running a 170mm rockshok team on the front and I find the steer tube angle to steep for me with the 26 on the back.

March 13, 2007, 4:45 p.m.

i have the 24" double wide hoop and tire… not sure if the store will give me the spokes back

i want to sell it. its very straight and lots of life left in both tire and rim,

Gettin' back into it!

March 14, 2007, 7:23 p.m.

i have the 24" double wide hoop and tire… not sure if the store will give me the spokes back

i want to sell it. its very straight and lots of life left in both tire and rim,

Sorry, I was looking to do a complete wheel swap.

March 14, 2007, 8:27 p.m.

No reason to replace those cranks, I think most people were commenting on the length because most DHs use shorter cranks. Those RaceFace LPs are sweet, you just need to make sure everything is torqued down… they usually wear out where they interface with the BB spindle. Spindle = steel, Cranks = aluminum, Interface = Square Taper… if you ride hard you'll wear the interface eventually.

Sorry man, but Race face LP's were absolute shite. I alone went through 6 sets in a season and that was from racing. I remember busting one clear off from pedalling through a G-out! That was just me. At the time I was working warranty at JH and I saw a lot of those come through. They were acceptable in XC use only and even that was questionable. Did I mention how prone to bending the spiders were? :P

P.S. I'm also referring to the old RF DH cranks, which are very similar to the LP's.