Here's a fun one. What was the first mountain bike you owned? Second bike?

April 5, 2020, 9:02 a.m.

I got my first mountain bike in 1998, it was a GT Karakoram made  out of 4130 chromoly tubes, fully rigid and then I upgraded to a Rockshox Indy , the drivetrain was the shimano STX RC (24 speed). It had IRC mythos tires, araya rim. Good times riding that bike through fire roads in single tracks in Brazil.

April 7, 2020, 8:07 a.m.

Posted by: Wab1234

The first bike of mine was a ‘92 Giant Iguana I got on a fire sale - literally, the Gibsons bike store burnt down. I basically change all the components out to XTR and got a Halston inverted fork. Remember those forks? 2.5” of elastomer goodness...noodily AF until I figured out a stiffer hub. The covers tore, and it wore out in no time.  The second bike I did right was a Brodie Expresso frame in an eggplant color and transferred everything over. 8-speed Sach grip shifting (which it replaced the SRAM version that it cracked and I twisted right off in a race), Avid ultimate brakes, Syncros seatpost and stem and a Judy fork with a coil conversion and damper tune. I race on it for a couple of years but eventually gave it away to an under-privileged youth. Truly, that was one bike that got away.

I have one of those forks! I wouldn't dare put it on a bike now though.

April 7, 2020, 9:24 a.m.

I think all the first generation of Halson forks were recalled. On mine the upper tube on one side came out of the crown while the other side was partly out during the Test of Metal.

April 7, 2020, 9:46 a.m.

Want a dia-compe or Araya rims logo t-shirt. Kick it old school.

Aug. 1, 2020, 10:04 a.m.

Early 90s red Fuji Thrill 18". Bought it new. Could probably find a photo of it. Added those ridiculous Scott AT4 bars. Loved everything about it.

Then an aluminum Schwinn with a marzocci fork.

That got me to the early 2000's when I started to get into 24" street with a Cliffcat Hardtail.

Then back to MTB with a Kona Hardtail.

Then I ditched MTB for a decade and rode fixed gear / road in a lot in cities.

Now I'm on a sc 5010.

Bunch (20+) of other bikes in there too. Bmx all kinds of crap. Just like the rest of you.

Last edited by: Doomstep on Aug. 1, 2020, 10:05 a.m., edited 1 time in total.