Help! Which specialized bike is for me?

Dec. 7, 2015, 2:17 p.m.

I will start by saying that I am so confused on what to buy. I am looking for a versatile bike to ride on the north shore. This year, I have done 100 rides for 1700km with 50km of climbing.

The two bikes that I ride are a 2012 Norco sight and a 2012 (26) Rocky Element. I am usually in the middle to 1/3 of the way down the leader board on Strava to give you a sense of my abilities. I would say that enjoy and clean most of the black trails on fromme and seymour, but often take the easier lines.

I am looking to go big wheeled (29) and get something that goes up and down better that what I am currently riding. I am 6'2" and about 210-215 lbs.

I think that the Camber, Stumpjumper and Enduro might all fit this bill. I know that I would have a pile of fun on any of those bikes.

I do want some more bike on the way down, but I still want technical climbing performance and to continue to enjoy climbing trails such as no quarter. I mostly ride the Sight these days unless it is in the shop so that is really my benchmark. I nearly always ride from home so I have a few km on the road to cover as well.

Looking to hear your thoughts / opinions on:

- is the enduro too much bike for me?
- is the camber not enough for the shore (seymour and fromme)?
- is the stumpjumper too much of a compromise and I will still want two other bikes?

thanks!!
s.

Dec. 7, 2015, 3:57 p.m.

Owned them all. Stumpy 29" is the the one if you can only have one.

The 16 version is bonkers stiff laterally (unlike the current Enduro) has the SWAT jazz and has pretty good geo. New Camber has the same front triangle so isn't dramatically lighter and it runs out if travel earlier.

However the bike I would recommend above all others is a 6Fattie with a set of light 29" wheels. Then you've got a Stumpy 29" for Squamish etc and a bulldozer for around here.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 7, 2015, 4:10 p.m.

However the bike I would recommend above all others is a 6Fattie with a set of light 29" wheels. Then you've got a Stumpy 29" for Squamish etc and a bulldozer for around here.

I really like the idea of a multipurpose bike compatible with 29/650+ for different types of riding with different wheels…

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 7, 2015, 4:24 p.m.

How about a Rocky Mountain Instinct BC edition? I had an Instinct last year and beat the crap out of it. It always kept coming back for more. Good local company with good support. I have friends with the Specialized Enduro and a friend with a stumpy evo. All these guys ride at a really high level and ride almost everyday. The enduro is consantly in the shop. Ovalized BB in the frame. Had to warranty. Big run around. Pivots are constantly getting destroyed. Needs an overhaul once a month. Now theres a crack in the seat tube and he's only had this warranty carbon frame since summer. The other problem with the enduro is the "california style geo" the HTA is 67.5 with a 6" fork. It feels so steep and unstable compared to more modern geo 29rs. The stumpy is holding up better. The good thing with the stumpy is the HTA is 67.5 with a 140mm fork, so you can easly get it slacker by bumping the pike up to 150mm or 160mm. Fluid Function in Squamish can get that done for around $75 I think. If I had to buy a specialized, I'd get the stumpy just for that reason. 5" of travel on a 29r gets the job done pretty well. I'm pretty funny with the brands I support and prefer to buy from smaller companies, local whenever possible and with more a progressive style of Geo and design. Does specialized make a nice looking bike? Yes. Is it my cup of Tea? No. More like Buckley's cough syrup, "it tastes awful, but it works" Hahaha :)

Dec. 7, 2015, 4:59 p.m.

I really like the idea of a multipurpose bike compatible with 29/650+ for different types of riding with different wheels…

It's the game changer for one bike guys.

The only problem is apart from XC races I doubt I'd use the 29" wheels that much. Such is the hilariousness of 650b+.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 7, 2015, 5:03 p.m.

Sounds interesting - the 29" wheels fits right into the 6fattie frame?

Dec. 7, 2015, 5:09 p.m.

How about a Rocky Mountain Instinct BC edition? I had an Instinct last year and beat the crap out of it. It always kept coming back for more. Good local company with good support. I have friends with the Specialized Enduro and a friend with a stumpy evo. All these guys ride at a really high level and ride almost everyday. The enduro is consantly in the shop. Ovalized BB in the frame. Had to warranty. Big run around. Pivots are constantly getting destroyed. Needs an overhaul once a month. Now theres a crack in the seat tube and he's only had this warranty carbon frame since summer. The other problem with the enduro is the "california style geo" the HTA is 67.5 with a 6" fork. It feels so steep and unstable compared to more modern geo 29rs. The stumpy is holding up better. The good thing with the stumpy is the HTA is 67.5 with a 140mm fork, so you can easly get it slacker by bumping the pike up to 150mm or 160mm. Fluid Function in Squamish can get that done for around $75 I think. If I had to buy a specialized, I'd get the stumpy just for that reason. 5" of travel on a 29r gets the job done pretty well. I'm pretty funny with the brands I support and prefer to buy from smaller companies, local whenever possible and with more a progressive style of Geo and design. Does specialized make a nice looking bike? Yes. Is it my cup of Tea? No. More like Buckley's cough syrup, "it tastes awful, but it works" Hahaha :)

Not 100% sold on specialized, but I do think I want 29. Spesh was the easiest brand to compare the three bikes.

How was the technical climbing on the instinct? I had a look at a second hand large - was a bit concerned that I might be better on the xl so did not pull the trigger. Would you put th instinct more xc or more AM than the stumpy?

cheers, s.

Dec. 7, 2015, 5:40 p.m.

Not 100% sold on specialized, but I do think I want 29. Spesh was the easiest brand to compare the three bikes.

How was the technical climbing on the instinct? I had a look at a second hand large - was a bit concerned that I might be better on the xl so did not pull the trigger. Would you put th instinct more xc or more AM than the stumpy?

cheers, s.

Ya you are kind of an in between L and XL guy. I'm the same but with M and L. The instinct was incredible on all climbs, but I guess most 29rs are. I'm on a 27.5 this year and you do notice the difference. The nice thing about the instinct is it's super adjustable. It's lighter duty than the Enduro, but i'd say it competes directly with the stumpy. Check in with Lynn Valley Bikes or Different bikes to see if they have a demo you can take out on Fromme for a rip. Or I think Endless Biking has one you could rent for a couple hours. If you do take one out, bring some allen keys so you can try it in a neutral geo setting and then in the slack setting. You'll be blown away it how fast that bike can blitz in the slack setting. You can go from 66.6 to 68.2 HTA! Pretty rad. Also, I'm not sure what your budget is, but there's some sick 29r from around here.
Canfield Riot, Banshee Prime, Evil The Following, Kona Process, Transition Smuggler. All those are sick

Dec. 8, 2015, 10:14 p.m.

Do you think you could run a Banshee Phantom as your do it all bike on the shore?

Dec. 8, 2015, 11:08 p.m.

I ride a carbon stumpy 29. No issues at all. Great trail bike that I'm not scared to ride hard. Beat the crap out of it regularly and it still rides like new.

Then I read this the other day:
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/exclusive-first-ride-specialized-enduro-with-6fattie-27-5-tyres/

So….after the holidays I'm building up a set of 27.5 wheels to throw some purgatory 3.0 tires on.

Dec. 9, 2015, 7:32 a.m.

and this…

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/di-a-2016-expert-discussion-the-future-of-plus-size-tyres/