Help! seized-and now stripped-bolt

Oct. 4, 2009, 12:08 p.m.

One of the bolts for my rear shock has miraculously seized in less than 12 hours, and now it is also stripped. Any Idea how I can get it off now?

Weird thing is, I didn't over tighten it and I have removed and installed this bolt close to 20 times from swapping shocks and such so I don't get what happened

Oct. 4, 2009, 12:19 p.m.

I would try vise grips first if you can get a grip on the head.

depending on the size, you might be able to cut a slot across the head, and use an impact driver to break things loose.

Check my stuff for sale!

Oct. 4, 2009, 12:24 p.m.

does it thread into a nut or into the frame?

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 4, 2009, 12:28 p.m.

bolts dont usually strip UNLESS they are over tightened. also - add grease to all bolt heads before putting them in - especially if its a metal bolt going into aluminum

Oct. 4, 2009, 12:33 p.m.

bolts dont usually strip UNLESS they are over tightened. also - add grease to all bolt heads before putting them in - especially if its a metal bolt going into aluminum

I'm assuming he means the head is rounded out.

Check my stuff for sale!

Oct. 4, 2009, 12:38 p.m.

Stripped in my world applies to threads.

if it is an "allen head" use the next size up standard(not metric) size allen socket and pound it into the offending hole….better yet,use a torx socket that will fit and grab the remaining hole.

…and lube or locktite the threads next time,hamfist!

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 4, 2009, 8:19 p.m.

I work on cars and I see a lot of stripped heads.
JB weld is your friend, take a old screw driver or one that you are willing to ruin and jb weld it to the screw/bolt.

Oct. 4, 2009, 8:33 p.m.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I should have mentioned that it's the allen head that is rounded not the threads. I swear I didn't make this super tight as I've done it many times before, it's weird. I think I may have put it together without putting the washer between the screw head and the frame. I think the screw and rocker are both aluminum

I can't get a vice grip on the head or cut a slot across the head as it's counter sunk. I may be able to cut a slot in the other side though. It threads in to a nut and some of the screw sticks out.

I'll try the next size allen key next and then the jb weld but is there a way I can release the seize first? WD40?

Oct. 4, 2009, 8:38 p.m.

find yourself a torx bit that is just slightly too big to fit. tap in lightly. turn.

and next time use sharp wrenches and make sure you have plenty of purchase before spinning. and grease them bolts up.

Oct. 4, 2009, 8:45 p.m.

this:

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0543809P/reviews.htm

rounded the head on a bolt on my stem. bought one of these. step 1: use the reamer end to ream out the head. step 2: reverse the bit, slowly drive in the the grabit end counter clockwise, at a slight angle, until it bites and pulls out your bolt. done

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 4, 2009, 8:51 p.m.

impact gun on the nut? or does the nut and bolt spin as a unit? I've never found the "pound in a torx bit" to work well, shit is usually made of cheese anyway.

oh yeah, apparently aluminum oxide is dissolved by ammonia. better pee on it. :D

Check my stuff for sale!

Oct. 4, 2009, 8:56 p.m.

Drill the head off the bolt and drive it through…

done…..

Oct. 4, 2009, 10:46 p.m.

There's some sort of "spray ice" or something like that that chills anything it's sprayed on. Careful, it's dangerously cold. Anyways, when it's applied to a stuck bolt, the metal contracts so the bolt gets thinner and the hole gets bigger. Spray that stuff on before trying any of the solutions above and it should help immensely.

Anyone know what this stuff is actually called?

iforonewelcome.com

Oct. 4, 2009, 11:33 p.m.

add grease to all bolt heads before putting them in - especially if its a metal bolt going into aluminum

how does this work for lets say those allen head bolts that go into crowns. My bolts were replaced with stronger 12.9 grade steel bolts I was given from a bike shop, instead of the regular aluminum ones. Should I be appling grease on the threads? Currently, i have a little bit of medium lock tight on those bolts? Can you apply both grease and lock tight?

Oct. 4, 2009, 11:45 p.m.

I go with a bit of grease and torque to 6-ish Nm for fork crowns, but consult the manufacturer.

you could theoretically apply thread locker to the thread area and then carefully put a dab of grease to the underside of the bolt head, but I would just apply grease to the works.

Check my stuff for sale!