Help me with tire choice

Aug. 23, 2017, 11:49 a.m.

So basically im in need of new tires on my downhill bike but im not sure what to do.  My current setup is minion dhf's ust front and rear on 823 rims, 26 inch wheels.  For the last year or so ive had a tube in the front though.  The first decision is weather i want to go tubeless.  Its been so hit or miss I find.  For the last year or so my rear has been fine but there was a time where one of the wheels would just go flat and then id fill it up and it would be fine and i was also having burping problems for a while.  Then sometimes it works fine.  I think ill stay tubeless as i have 823's, so do i need ust specific tires or can I do it with any tire? I was reading some people say they have no problem running regular minions tubeless. 

The other problem is it seems very hard to find 26 inch ust minion dhf's online (havent checked lbs yet). Ive been thinking of trying a dhr 2 on the rear but they dont seem to make a ust one (goes back to the question of do i need ust to go tubeless).

I think i want to go dhf front and dhr 2 rear. Anyone have much experience with the dhr 2 vs a dhf on the rear? And if im not getting ust what compounds/sidewalls should i go for.  There seems like theres 10 options for every tire now and im so out of the loop.  Thanks peoples.

Aug. 23, 2017, 12:30 p.m.

DHF's & Magic Mary's are my primary choice.

Next question is which is cheaper. Magic Mary's for $50 CDN?  Sold.

I tape my DTSwiss 570's as if I were going tubeless, but run tubes.  When I get a flat, I have time to get down to the bottom without riding my rim the way down.

In terms of compound, I go with Wirebead Vertstar's.

Aug. 23, 2017, 3:18 p.m.

Check the German sites like bike24.de (good Maxxis selection), bike-discount.de etc. as yeah, UST is pretty rare these days.

I have never run UST so can't comment there, but my non-tubeless ready Maxxis DH casing DHF and DHR2 work on my tubeless ready rims. They do leak sealant through the sidewalls and only lose maybe 30% pressure after sitting for a week. I figure topping them up once every couple months with an ounce of sealant is adequate.

I used to run DHF front (SuperTacky) and rear (3C) and switched to 2.4 DHR 2 rear this year. DHR 2 has better straight line braking with the wide paddle knobs in the middle, cornering feels about the same to me but I am no pro. DHF 2.5 ST up front is awesome.

My current DH bike came with Magic Mary's. I liked them but the wear was too fast on VertStar. One of them had a warranty failure (bubble) so I went back to Maxxis. They had awesome grip though.

Last edited by: grambo on Aug. 23, 2017, 3:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.