Help me source a formula free hub body

Nov. 10, 2019, 4:04 p.m.

Anyone know where I can find some info regarding Formula freehub bodies? My current rear wheel uses a formula rear hub (boost148 standard) with a Sram XD driver installed. I'd like to do away with the XD driver and fit a standard freehub body so I can use a wider range of cassettes. The formula website offers no help whatsoever, so I'm hoping NSMB will come through for me. Any suggestions on where to look?

The hub is low end Formula DHT148 probably found rebadged by many manufacturers a few years ago (bike is a 2016). I'm just now starting to regain the time and interest to ride my bike once in a while, I'm really hoping that something as simple as swapping a freehub body on a low-end hub will not be more difficult than buying a new wheel, because I'll probably give up on bikes entirely at that point

Last edited by: t_w on Nov. 10, 2019, 5:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 11, 2019, 1:36 p.m.

The problem with Formula is they make so many hubs that may or may not utilize the same or similar freehub. If your shop can't sort you out, you may end up trying a couple of freehubs which you think may be compatible before/if you are able to find the appropriate one. One idea is to try and reach out to the bike manufacturer, especially if they spec the same hub on a different model bike in their lineup.

Out of curiosity, what cassette are you hoping/wanting to run? Sunrace has recently started making cassettes at a more reasonable price for xD drivers, and e13 also have some nice and functional albeit costly xD options.

Nov. 14, 2019, 5:05 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

The problem with Formula is they make so many hubs that may or may not utilize the same or similar freehub. If your shop can't sort you out, you may end up trying a couple of freehubs which you think may be compatible before/if you are able to find the appropriate one. One idea is to try and reach out to the bike manufacturer, especially if they spec the same hub on a different model bike in their lineup.

Out of curiosity, what cassette are you hoping/wanting to run? Sunrace has recently started making cassettes at a more reasonable price for xD drivers, and e13 also have some nice and functional albeit costly xD options.

Thanks UFO, I haven't logged into to NSMB for years now, but that's a name a remember from the beginning.

I'm wanting to swap to Shimano 2x11; but nearly any 11spd cassette will do the trick.  I'm all about simple, functional, affordable and easy to source parts for my bike so no matter where I'm riding I can get rolling again if something breaks... and the XD really is none of those so I'd like to do away with it.  Call me old but the proprietary stuff in the bike industry still grinds my gears, the less of it I have the happier I am.

I think I'll set up the 2x11 with my existing XD cassette, a fresh chain and ride it until it's toast then start thinking about lacing up a new rear wheel with a standard hub.

Nov. 14, 2019, 11:28 a.m.

IIRC Livetoplay and Orange Sport Supply (Distributors) have some Formula freehubs. You would need to order through your LBS.

Nov. 16, 2019, 10:27 a.m.

Understand the want for other cassettes, but XD is more "industry standard" than "proprietary". SRAM's had 90% market share on high end OEM spec for quite a while now. 

Likely any shop in the world you visit will be spilling over with XD stock, now and into the future.

With Shimano switching to microspline, finding the old standard might even become difficult.