Help me make up my mind - Im deadlocked!

July 12, 2018, 6:43 p.m.

Oil is not proprietary on the fork, the guys at SW directed me toward the correct stuff for my DeVille.  I cant remember the name of it right now, but it is sitting in my garage since I did my last oil change.  They can still service them I believe (you probably have to ask specifically), but might not have access to all the parts and definitely wont do any warranty stuff.

July 12, 2018, 8:10 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Same frame, diff colours.

2016 Maiden unlimited new versus 2018 used Maiden

the red one is always faster

July 12, 2018, 10:13 p.m.

Bought the 2018. Can’t wait to let’er rip. It sure is pretty and blingy.

Vaea’s bike

July 12, 2018, 10:16 p.m.

Bought the 2018. Can’t wait to let’er rip. It sure is pretty and blingy.

Vaea’s bike

shit dude, didn't you notice that crack near the axle of the fork when you zoom in on the pic?

July 12, 2018, 10:31 p.m.

Of course I saw that!

That’s why I bought it!

July 12, 2018, 11:34 p.m.

BOS stuff is nice. I've heard getting parts can be a pain. BrenDog is repping BOS on the new Scott DH bike and to be steezy like him so should you.

July 13, 2018, 10:18 a.m.

I have nothing but praise for my 160mm DeVille.  It is now relegated to back up duty on my old 26er, but I had several seasons of use with no issues whatsoever.  Seals and oil can be sourced locally, the rest of the parts could be tough to find I agree.

July 13, 2018, 4:33 p.m.

Yes - I’ve heard they’re awesome forks and shocks. I’ve never heard anything bad about their performance. 

Dropping $5k on a new bike knowing that if something goes wrong on the fork there are no replacement parts, and knowing that I can’t even service the shock, is however a different story. 

Maidens are super fun. Just back from the Park. It’ll take a bit to figure balance points with the short rear end - but seems like a great bike. What a difference new tires make tho. My god. I know this but every single time I experience it it’s a revelation.

July 16, 2018, 3:19 p.m.

You made the right choice IMO. Fox Factory on the Maiden right? Unless Swerx can fully service the BOS stuff you are gambling especially with how hard the park is on bikes. Also the paint job on the 18 Maiden is soooo much nicer than the old blue.

How are you finding the Maiden compared to your Legend in rough/technical stuff?

July 16, 2018, 5:34 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

You made the right choice IMO. Fox Factory on the Maiden right? Unless Swerx can fully service the BOS stuff you are gambling especially with how hard the park is on bikes. Also the paint job on the 18 Maiden is soooo much nicer than the old blue.

How are you finding the Maiden compared to your Legend in rough/technical stuff?

I bought my BOS Void Air from SWerx.  BOS site doesn't list a service centre or distributor for NA now.  It's more of BOS actually getting parts to service centres. BrenDawg/Dog is running BOS suspension on his prototype Scott DH bike.  Maybe BOS is serious about Mtn bike suspension again. 

We need more suspension options than FOX/SRAM!

July 17, 2018, 10:40 a.m.

Yes, Fox 40 Factory upfront and X2 Factory rear. Nice combo! Loving the Army Green/Black/Orange colors and mine has blingy Hope and Deity orange accents on it to. I think its a looker! It does however not fit well in my NS rack!

I'm finding it really hard to compare versus the Legend because of the tires. The Maiden is sticking like glue to slabs and polished rocks. I wasn't happy with Legend tire set up.

Getting comfy on the Maiden on Garbo tech (OSin, Goats, InDeep is my fav lap) was faster than expected, maybe because its a lot of slower janky stuff. Balance on flow trails is coming (I prefer tech). Its a lighter maneuverable bike and its all working well. Feels like an 8inch enduro.

The Legend needs a bit of work. Boxxer due for service and should get a new left station due to a rub wear (no performance impact but I dont like it!) that showed up last two days of the park, and new rubber front and back. I just put a DHR on the rear, but 2.3 - which isn't working for me. Debating selling the Legend or doing the work and maybe keeping it. 26r tho. Hard for me to believe that a full Saint 26r Boxxer/RC4 Legend isn't still an awesome bike - it just needs some service and rubber to become wonderful again, but that also makes it tougher to compare.

Last edited by: Ddean on July 17, 2018, 11:24 a.m., edited 6 times in total.
July 17, 2018, 10:53 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

I bought my BOS Void Air from SWerx.  BOS site doesn't list a service centre or distributor for NA now.  It's more of BOS actually getting parts to service centres. BrenDawg/Dog is running BOS suspension on his prototype Scott DH bike.  Maybe BOS is serious about Mtn bike suspension again. 

We need more suspension options than FOX/SRAM!

There are plenty of other options. Cane Creek, DVO, X-Fusion, Suntour, Manitou, PUSH. I have the new Helm on my current bike, taking awhile to dial in, but so far im impressed.

July 17, 2018, 2:18 p.m.

Yes, Fox 40 Factory upfront and X2 Factory rear. Nice combo! Loving the Army Green/Black/Orange colors and mine has blingy Hope and Deity orange accents on it to. I think its a looker! It does however not fit well in my NS rack!

I'm finding it really hard to compare versus the Legend because of the tires. The Maiden is sticking like glue to slabs and polished rocks. I wasn't happy with Legend tire set up.

Getting comfy on the Maiden on Garbo tech (OSin, Goats, InDeep is my fav lap) was faster than expected, maybe because its a lot of slower janky stuff. Balance on flow trails is coming (I prefer tech). Its a lighter maneuverable bike and its all working well. Feels like an 8inch enduro.

The Legend needs a bit of work. Boxxer due for service and should get a new left station due to a rub wear (no performance impact but I dont like it!) that showed up last two days of the park, and new rubber front and back. I just put a DHR on the rear, but 2.3 - which isn't working for me. Debating selling the Legend or doing the work and maybe keeping it. 26r tho. Hard for me to believe that a full Saint 26r Boxxer/RC4 Legend isn't still an awesome bike - it just needs some service and rubber to become wonderful again, but that also makes it tougher to compare.

It is amazing how much different a fresh set of tires is. I think you can still get 26" Maxxis DH tires from bike24.de and bike-discount.de worth a look anyway. Good to stock up on your preferred Maxxis/Schwalbe rubber for cheap so you can change em out once you start drifting and skidding too much, safety first!

I just got an NS rack and my Aurum carbon is also a bit tough to get in it because of the head tube shape, same issue with the Maiden? I need to find some straight pipe or something so I can pry the arms a bit wider to make it easier... apparently the racks are designed to let you do that.

July 17, 2018, 2:26 p.m.

I have had to bend my NSR to carry the Maiden at all - it wasn't only a poor fit, it was a NO FIT at first. Maiden head tube is square and the 40s are tight, two compounding problems. I'm paranoid of scratching the upper stantions on the 40s with the end of the finger. I bent it using a deep socket mounted to an extension, but you can also use a handle bar for leverage. Small adjustments at once. Thanks for the tire source tips - I'm on it!

EDIT: 12 tires on their way!

Last edited by: Ddean on July 17, 2018, 2:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 17, 2018, 3:19 p.m.

I just received a tire order of 6 tires (Schwalbe) from BikeDiscount.  Even got them to price match with another European online site!  Definitely worth the bulk order, and sooooo much cheaper.

I had to bend the prongs on my NSR for my latest ride.  Had a piece of black PVC pipe laying around that worked well.  Its definitely a trial and error process, but works in the end.