Help! IS to post mount adapter

May 21, 2008, 9:22 p.m.

Wrong adapter, or shim w/washers?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 21, 2008, 9:24 p.m.

maybe flip the adaptor top for bottom?

Join SIMBS and help mountain biking on the Rock

Get out of the way, freedom's coming through!

May 21, 2008, 10:22 p.m.

No…….that configuration is even further out of wack.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 21, 2008, 10:23 p.m.

Is that a boxxer or something?

May 21, 2008, 10:26 p.m.

'08 Pike/Hayes Nine

May 21, 2008, 10:32 p.m.

Wrong adapter, or shim w/washers?

That looks like an Avid adapter. I don't know much about Hayes or Avid brakes but the Avid units always have a set of washers (one concave, one convex) mounted between the caliper and the adapter.

Maybe that is your issue?

Either way you calipers position vs. the rotor looks like it is pretty good (at least in that photo).

If the only issue is the caliper contacting the adapter then it is either upside down (you say its not) or it is the wrong adapter.

If the caliper is contacting the adapter and it is too far inward (i.e. contact the rotor) then just add ~5mm of shims between the caliper and the adapter (top and bottom) and see how that looks.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

May 21, 2008, 11:07 p.m.

The outer edge of the rotor contacts inside the housing before the mounting surfaces meet.

Guess I'll shim but I didn't for see that it wouldn't be a bolt and forget/exact match.

Will the pads wear in w/new position against rotor?
Change pads?
Change rotor?
Both?

May 22, 2008, 12:48 a.m.

Yep, Drew is right that's an avid adapter. You need to either put a conical spacer set on there ala Avid CPS, or the equivalent amount of flat washers which I believe is 4mm. Unless your tabs are out of alignment. I recommend the flat washers as I have found that the CPS system tends shift over time (I have converted my Avid brakes to a flat washer set-up for this reason).

Oh, and get some matching adapter bolts while you're at it :)

May 22, 2008, 4:07 p.m.

Yeah it was an Avid, went back and the lbs gave me a used Hayes.

get some matching adapter bolts while you're at it

How's this? :) (what, you didn't like my canti-boss bolt from like, the '80's? :crybaby:)

:woot:

Now, that plastic clip that comes w/the fork to position where the zap strap holds the brake hose to the slider.
Directly in the rear above the decal/below where the slider starts to increase diameter? :???:

Or? :argue:

May 22, 2008, 6:17 p.m.

Haha oh man you need to get a special Manitou adapter. The one you have currently is wrong. Are you running 203mm or 160mm?