Helmet replacement frequency

March 18, 2021, 11:11 a.m.

Assuming NO impacts/crashes that would justify immediate replacement, how often do you replace your trail helmet? I’m also assuming trail style helmets that aren’t hard shell (i.e. POC Tectal, Oakley DRT5, Giro Montaro, TLD A2, etc).

I tend to use mine between 150 and 200 days per year and sweat lots so I tend to replace them about every 3 years because that “felt” about right to me for ages. I have no idea how quickly helmet materials degrade with sweat, dirt and UV though. 

Do you replace less or more frequently than that and why?

March 18, 2021, 11:23 a.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

Assuming NO impacts/crashes that would justify immediate replacement, how often do you replace your trail helmet? I’m also assuming trail style helmets that aren’t hard shell (i.e. POC Tectal, Oakley DRT5, Giro Montaro, TLD A2, etc).

I tend to use mine between 150 and 200 days per year and sweat lots so I tend to replace them about every 3 years because that “felt” about right to me for ages. I have no idea how quickly helmet materials degrade with sweat, dirt and UV though. 

Probably every 2-3 years for me.  Usually happens when the liner padding totally rots out or else when I find a great deal on a new one.

March 18, 2021, 12:15 p.m.

Every two or three years here too. I figure all the little bumps from low branches, dropped helmets and slight blows in crashes add up.

March 18, 2021, 12:26 p.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

That feels like too long between replacements. I do around 120 days off road a year plus a handful of road riding. Every other year for me makes sense. So many little dings, damage in transport, UV damage, etc.

March 18, 2021, 12:44 p.m.

2 years and I retire them to pathway riding until a retention system breaks or the foam padding packs down. That is, unless the spidey sense tells me it's time for a new one because the old one just feels like it's getting there.

It is a seemingly wasteful thing to me but I justify it by thinking about how much single use plastic the hospital threw out on my behalf last time I was there.

March 18, 2021, 1:35 p.m.

I think that having a timeline for replacement probably works well for most people. Peace of mind, and getting something that is newer (less stinky!) and perhaps lighter with better airflow is always nice. There is evidence that shows the foam doesnt really degrade, even over long periods of time. So assuming the retention system still works AND it hasnt been dropped/crashed/bounced off a tree, the helmet will still protect you far beyond the 3 year mark. It also looks like sweat and UV damage have little effect on the actual foam, but does have effect on the shell portion of the helmet.

https://helmets.org/replace.htm

Last edited by: shoreboy on March 18, 2021, 1:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 18, 2021, 5:07 p.m.

Thanks for the replies. You’ve collectively twisted my rubber arm...bought a new helmet today.

March 19, 2021, 9:48 a.m.

I replace when needed . Or if a new design catches my eye . And I have money to buy it LOL. Currently waiting for my new helmet from 100%.

March 19, 2021, 10:57 a.m.

I’ve had my POC trail helmet forever. At least 6 years. My TLD full face is getting up there too  probably 5 years. I typically only replace them when I crash and I had a bit of hiatus from riding after I got them. 

My buddy’s 6 month old Fox Rampage was left on his roof while shuttling. I believe Fox gave him 15% off his new one.

March 19, 2021, 11:58 a.m.

Probably about every 5 yrs, I'm a Fat head so not many helmets fit and shops don't really stock them

so If i try on a bike or ski helmet that actualy fits I buy it

for the fat heads out there try an XL Bell Sixxer for bike and an XL Giro G9 for ski

I dropped a helmet on the canal du Midi in France I hope the suspension system accommodates  which ever frenchman picked it up

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 19, 2021, 12:03 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 19, 2021, 12:25 p.m.

1-2 years for me.