Helmet question. Out of Curiosity.

Nov. 7, 2017, 12:53 p.m.

So, I surfed the web, checking out helmets, mostly trail ones. 

Depending on the manufacturer, all have more or less the same shell, a few more vents here, a different visor, straps, etc. Same goes for coverage, at the base pretty low, but almost all do not cover the ears. 

In comparison to 80s BMX-style helmets, today's motorcycle helmets (what I see on the streets), Bell's new Super DH and the present day Giro Switchblade I really ask myself why not more helmets cover the ears as well. 

Would it not make totally sense in a normal trail helmet to cover the ears? 

Just curious.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 7, 2017, 1:08 p.m.

Sure, from a safety standpoint it does. It’s just make for a heavier, less ventilated helmet that looks goofy.

Nov. 7, 2017, 4:21 p.m.

I have never been a fan of that look, I don't surf with a hood on either though...can stand having my ears covered.

Nov. 8, 2017, 8:39 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Sure, from a safety standpoint it does. It’s just make for a heavier, less ventilated helmet that looks goofy.

Not sure about the heavier and less ventilated part with today's tech. 

I have not yet tried one but am intrigued by them.

Nov. 8, 2017, 10:02 p.m.

I find that my Fox Proframe and Bell S2R don’t retain a perceptible about of heat in my heard versus my road race helmets. Heavier, yes. Less ventilated -barely. The proframe is especially well done.

Nov. 9, 2017, 12:05 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I find that my Fox Proframe and Bell S2R don’t retain a perceptible about of heat in my heard versus my road race helmets. Heavier, yes. Less ventilated -barely. The proframe is especially well done.

The Proframe looks really odd when compared to its bigger brother. Do you notice the chinbar at all?

I never tried the Bell but had a Bell a few years ago and found the fit a bit odd, as I found that Giro has a great fit as does TLD for fullfaces, at least on my head.

Nov. 9, 2017, 2:21 p.m.

I never really notice the chin bar on the Proframe. If I'm wearing goggles I cant even see it. Otherwise, I can see it but its never bothered me in any way aside from not being able to spit when I'm sick and mucus is coming up from my lungs.

Nov. 10, 2017, 2:13 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I never really notice the chin bar on the Proframe. If I'm wearing goggles I cant even see it. Otherwise, I can see it but its never bothered me in any way aside from not being able to spit when I'm sick and mucus is coming up from my lungs.

I could not make myself wear one in traffic and on easier rides though. That looks goofy and dorky. I'd rather ride a Switchblade, I guess.

Although there is a rider in my area who only ever rides in a fullface since a twig went through one of his cheeks while taking a slow tumble.