Helmet or Handlebar Lights?

Oct. 14, 2016, 2:17 p.m.

My lights showed up yesterday, looking forward to trying them. I went with a 4 cell for the handle bars to give me a bit of a extra time and a 2 cell for the helmet (didn't want to be carrying all that weight).

Question: do most people mount the helmet battery on the back of their helmet or stick it in a pack?

done both but prefer the helmet .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 18, 2016, 7:54 p.m.

I wouldn't trust the regular pack, I didn't ever use it for 2 hours straight. but my light head died not the battery so I don't really trust the light at all haha

Oct. 18, 2016, 10 p.m.

Question: For those who use the Solarstorm X2 lights, when ordering on Lightmalls do you just order the regular 4cell battery pack or do you get the larger/waterproof options.

I would be using the lights for 2 hour rides at most, ideally not in the rain.

Thanks!

I'd buy the waterproof. When I bought mine that wasn't available, and I spent an extra $20 on plasti-dip to waterproof the batteries myself. If you live in BC, they'll get wet.

As for capacity - I find the 4 cell is ample for my 2-3 hour rides. I generally just have the bar light on, set to low level, when climbing, and then put both lights on full for the descent. With that pattern I generally have more than enough light for most rides.

Oct. 19, 2016, 8:15 a.m.

Just got my new X3 with waterproof 8 cell battery. First ride last night and was very happy with beam spread and depth. Worth the 80$

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Oct. 19, 2016, 9:21 a.m.

I just wrap the batteries with a couple of layers of electrical tape. Sure you're not gonna be able to submerge them but that's more than adequate for splash/light drizzle protection.

Unless it's absolutely pissing down, then you should be at home drinking whiskey anyway.

Oct. 19, 2016, 9:46 a.m.

I picked up 2 "Nitefighter BT40S". So far so good. Much better beam than the solarstorm x2's which i find have a narrow beam.

Looks like its on sale right now:

http://www.gearbest.com/bicycling-gear/pp_180805.html

bought it based on the mtbr reviews:

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/user-review-nitefighter-bt40s-cat-review-963636.html

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Oct. 19, 2016, 12:50 p.m.

What would folks recommend for an all in headlamp for bc skiing? (well more like side country- I like to go for a skin up/ rip down a few days a week after work)

Right now I have a magic shine with a headlight harness adapter thing. I'd like something with a self-contained battery as having it in the backpack necessitating a cable is a pain during the transition.

I would like many, many lumens.

One thing to remember about night-skiing is that the snow reflects a ton of light, so your needs are not as intense as with riding. I haven't done a ton of skiing at night, however, when I have, a regular $50 headlamp (Petzl) was more than adequate. Would more light have helped? Sure. But your quest to find a self-contained unit may be as simple as grabbing the best/brightest headlamp at MEC and giving that a whirl.

Nov. 10, 2016, 11:49 p.m.

Got some Solarstorm X2's off Lightmalls, and so far they have been excellent while riding. However I have read a couple horror stories about the cheap chargers blowing up and starting fires/damaging houses. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to improve safety while charging these lights? If i were to charge them with a surge protector cord in a metal box would that lower the risk? Any alternative chargers or recommended extension cords to use with these?

Nov. 12, 2016, 1:21 p.m.

Anyone know a good site to order a replacement Magicshine battery? Haven't had much luck with Google so far…

Nov. 13, 2016, 9:17 a.m.

Anyone know a good site to order a replacement Magicshine battery? Haven't had much luck with Google so far…

Look up dragonbones on here. I picked up a couple Solarstorms from him (haven't used yet) and a couple extra batteries to power my MagicShines - which they do - same connector. Haven't tested in real world but they power them fine testing in the house.

Nov. 14, 2016, 7:04 a.m.

3 out 0f 4 magic shines have died, kaput.
Lasted a dozen rides max.
Two crapped out while on a ride.
Total garbage.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Nov. 14, 2016, 8 a.m.

Got some Solarstorm X2's off Lightmalls, and so far they have been excellent while riding. However I have read a couple horror stories about the cheap chargers blowing up and starting fires/damaging houses. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to improve safety while charging these lights? If i were to charge them with a surge protector cord in a metal box would that lower the risk? Any alternative chargers or recommended extension cords to use with these?

Just put them on a dedicated power bar surge protector. Never had an issue with mine. Have not tripped the fuse on the power bar.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Nov. 14, 2016, 5:14 p.m.

….or buy something that has a CSA or cUL approval.

All electrical devices must have one of these approvals (or equivalent) to be sold in Canada. If they don't, you're taking chances….with your $$ and/or with your insurance coverage.
It's worth noting that even CSA or cUL stickers can be forged, but all must have a listing number that can be verified with the approving party. Is it worth it for bike lights? That's your call.

Nov. 12, 2017, 2:41 p.m.

I thought it would be a good time to revive this thread. Anyone got some new lights/discoveries to share? Any brands out there that you'd like us to look into as far as review units?

Nov. 13, 2017, 10:05 a.m.

There are some GloWorm and MagicShine lights mentioned in this thread: https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/lights-2017-2018-129638/?page=1 that I'm pretty curious about.

It seems that the super cheap lights like the X2's are now total shit, and I think there are tons of folks like me that don't want to shell out the $600 or whatever it is for Lupines or whatever the hot stuff million lumen light is these days, but still want something decent.  There seem to be stuff around the $200ish mark out there for us.

I'd do a "Forum test" of those lights, I ride a lot in the dark this time of year...