Helmet or Handlebar Lights?

Oct. 13, 2016, 9:13 a.m.

Going from cheap/intermediate chinese (Magicshine) to expensive chinese versions? If it were me i'd go with something that has better batteries and 'known' build quality. For close to the price you are looking at there (for just the bar light) you could get a Gemini bar and helmet setup.

Have a link for the gemini setup you speak of.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Oct. 13, 2016, 9:24 a.m.

Have a link for the gemini setup you speak of.

I guess it depends on which of those Ferei ones you were looking at. I was talking about their top of the line light that seems to be about $470CDN on its own.

http://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/gemini-sets-1

You can get any combo of the Xera, Duo, Olympia (depending on how much light you want and how much you want to spend) for less or close to that of ~$500.
Gemini has the cool bluetooth remote that controls both your lights (in one remote) as well!

Oct. 13, 2016, 9:26 a.m.

I guess it depends on which of those Ferei ones you were looking at. I was talking about their top of the line light that seems to be about $470CDN on its own.

http://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/gemini-sets-1

You can get any combo of the Xera, Duo, Olympia (depending on how much light you want and how much you want to spend) for less or close to that of ~$500.
Gemini has the cool bluetooth remote that controls both your lights (in one remote) as well!

Ya cool, had a look. You pretty happy with these? And yes wireless remote, nice.

Oct. 13, 2016, 9:35 a.m.

Ya cool, had a look. You pretty happy with these? And yes wireless remote, nice.

I dont have a set, but have heard pretty much all praise from others who do have them. They are on my list for my next set….

Oct. 13, 2016, 10:15 a.m.

I'm still using my Geoman Gear light set from a few years ago. :lol: Best money on bike accessories I've spent.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 13, 2016, 7:17 p.m.

I have a couple of Gemini Xera lights that I am very happy with. I would probably buy the Duo if was looking for a new one. I had a great experience dealing with Jim at actionled.com

Oct. 13, 2016, 7:39 p.m.

Yeah they look good.
Ordered from the Gemini site?

My son has the 1800lumen model and it works very well .

Only issue I have had is one of my battery,s was dropped and it broke the plastic housing , so I wrapped it in gorilla tape .

The same battery also has brass connectors on the plug and it has oxidized as bit and can have a bad connection at times .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 13, 2016, 7:45 p.m.

I have a couple of Gemini Xera lights that I am very happy with. I would probably buy the Duo if was looking for a new one. I had a great experience dealing with Jim at actionled.com

Dual Xera,s on the bars and the Duo on my helmet works well .

I have a 2 cell battery I zap strap to the back of the helmet , and use a Gopro mount to mount the light .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 14, 2016, 7:11 a.m.

Thx for the info guys.
Looks like I will probably go with the Gemini.
All this rain, no mtb ride this weekend. Super muddy fun trail runs looks like the call.

Oct. 14, 2016, 7:38 a.m.

Dual Xera,s on the bars and the Duo on my helmet works well .

I have a 2 cell battery I zap strap to the back of the helmet , and use a Gopro mount to mount the light .

Do you run into problems with lack of run time with the 2 Cell? On high their website says it's only rated for 1 1/2 hour. It seems like the 4 cell is worth the extra $30. Or is it?

Oct. 14, 2016, 9:09 a.m.

Do you run into problems with lack of run time with the 2 Cell? On high their website says it's only rated for 1 1/2 hour. It seems like the 4 cell is worth the extra $30. Or is it?

I have a older 4 cell, a newer 2 cell and can get hours out of the 2 cell at 900 lumen or what ever the Duo is on it,s lowest setting .

I have used the helmet light for night builds and such , and it,s been on for hours with no issues.

When riding I use one light on my bars and turn the helmet light off , when descending or techy trails it,s full lumens on all , then back to one on the way up .

If the moon is out I twilight on the FSR,s and more open sections .

Years back in the BLT days I learned to conserve my battery,s life , sucks losing your lights half way into a ride .

Hell even today I still ride with the odd guy that runs out of battery life for some reason or another.

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 14, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

My lights showed up yesterday, looking forward to trying them. I went with a 4 cell for the handle bars to give me a bit of a extra time and a 2 cell for the helmet (didn't want to be carrying all that weight).

Question: do most people mount the helmet battery on the back of their helmet or stick it in a pack?

Oct. 14, 2016, 10:03 a.m.

My lights showed up yesterday, looking forward to trying them. I went with a 4 cell for the handle bars to give me a bit of a extra time and a 2 cell for the helmet (didn't want to be carrying all that weight).

Question: do most people mount the helmet battery on the back of their helmet or stick it in a pack?

What did you buy? What was the damage?

Oct. 14, 2016, 11:17 a.m.

I have found that two lights work best for me. as previously mentioned, a flood lamp for the handlebar and more of a spot light for the headlamp. what i've found when using just headlamp is that during turns, my peripheral vision loses bearing or sight of the ground in front of my wheel because i tend to look up and ahead while i'm turning. so having that ground flood in front of the wheel really completes the picture on the turns. power wise, it really depends on your brand. I've had lamps that are of lower quality that claim 1100 lumens that are less bright than better brands that report 900 lumens. Obviously it comes down to how each manufacturer measures luminosity and how the circuitry of their systems utilize the diodes and the focus that their lenses or reflectors project the light. anyway, happy riding before the snow falls. hoping it's an awesome ski season this year.

Edit: For a headlamp, I really like the Australian Ay-Up system. I find they're really powerful despite the "900" lumen rating. Way brighter than my magicshine 1100 Lumen lamps. You can also adjust the two sides of the lamp independently, so you can get a "longer" distribution of light ahead of you. I've asked them before if they meant that the lamps and individually 900 lumens each, thus constructively making a 1800 lumen spot if the two lamps are aligned, but I've never gotten a clear answer. Doesn't really matter to me at the end, I think they're the best lights I've ever owned. the super plus side for me is that the batter is very very light, lasts a long time and can be mounted to the back of your helmet. you don't notice the battery in the back, basically weighs the same as a deck of cards. Avoids the fucky, annoying cable going into a backpack. I kept getting psyched out at first when taking my pack off at night because I was so used to having a cable running from my light to bag. It's the little things sometimes.

you don't necessarily need to the buy the MTB specific set. You get lots of stuff with just the road kit that they have. I'm happy with the Ay-Up on the helmet and a cheaper flood light on the bar.

http://ayup-lights.com/lighting-kits?product_id=2

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Oct. 14, 2016, 1:40 p.m.

What did you buy? What was the damage?

I bought 2 of the Xera, paid for a 4 cell battery for one and a head strap. Came to around $400 CDN with delivery.