Helmet or Handlebar Lights?

Sept. 15, 2016, 11:43 a.m.

Ah, you've got twice as many lumens as I run. That said, I think all the lumens in the world couldn't make nightriding even close to day riding. The shadows, the hotspots, the creepiness. It's something allright. God I can think of some freaky times in the pouring rain/mud.

Wanted…fat bike for strange winter night rides. :idea:

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 15, 2016, 2:47 p.m.

What would folks recommend for an all in headlamp for bc skiing? (well more like side country- I like to go for a skin up/ rip down a few days a week after work)

Right now I have a magic shine with a headlight harness adapter thing. I'd like something with a self-contained battery as having it in the backpack necessitating a cable is a pain during the transition.

I would like many, many lumens.

Oct. 5, 2016, 10:30 a.m.

So wanna move up the quality of my lights.
Have the magic shines, not bad but too much like a spot light.
Want something that floods better. A bar remote would be pretty pimp too.

Suggestions and experiences?
Brock

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Oct. 5, 2016, 10:46 a.m.

Brock

I have two handlebar mounted lights (light rider lumina 500 and a Lezine 500 lumen), and a helmet light (gemini 800 lumen).

The setup seems to work for the few night rides I get in every winter. The thing is that I will mostly rider technical trails on Fromme at night vs high speed, so I've not often had the situation or feeling that I'm moving faster than the lights can project - which to me is the scariest part of night riding. Also, I will ride familiar trails which helps.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Oct. 5, 2016, 11:11 a.m.

Bar and helmet fo sho.

Rode Dales on a solo night ride the other night. That was spooky and kinda hairy.

Oct. 5, 2016, 12:14 p.m.

Brock

For a quick fix to get a broader beam pattern from your MagicShine you can chuck in one of these lenses: https://www.amazon.com/Angle-MagicShine-Gemini-Lights-Headlight/dp/B004WLCLQY

I've been running one of those in my bar light, with a standard spot style MagicShine on my head, very happily.

Oct. 5, 2016, 1:53 p.m.

Just a reminder for solar storm x2… Bought two, one has stopped working after a couple uses, you get what you pay for!

Oct. 5, 2016, 2:54 p.m.

Oddly enough when I used to do Fromme in the 1800's whilst on my penny farthing, a good old fashion torch lit up the trail pretty good.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 5, 2016, 3:26 p.m.

I have two handlebar mounted lights (light rider lumina 500 and a Lezine 500 lumen), and a helmet light (gemini 800 lumen).

The setup seems to work for the few night rides I get in every winter. The thing is that I will mostly rider technical trails on Fromme at night vs high speed, so I've not often had the situation or feeling that I'm moving faster than the lights can project - which to me is the scariest part of night riding. Also, I will ride familiar trails which helps.

the good news is that you will never move faster than your lights will project, ha ha!! but i catch your drift… familiar trails for sure.

pretty happy with the Gemini Duo with a bar mount 'older' Lezyne. many equivalents. that Bontrager light is awesome, wife uses it and a heavy Serfas triple on helmet. Duo is small and light on the head.

Oct. 6, 2016, 6 a.m.

Brock

Gemini lights have been great for me , 3rd season on them and no issues , also use the lights for night builds and camping and such so they have more uses than just mountain biking

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 6, 2016, 10:26 a.m.

Gemini lights have been great for me , 3rd season on them and no issues , also use the lights for night builds and camping and such so they have more uses than just mountain biking

This makes me happy as I just ordered two yesterday.

Oct. 6, 2016, 10:52 a.m.

This makes me happy as I just ordered two yesterday.

Yeah they look good.
Ordered from the Gemini site?

Oct. 6, 2016, 1:16 p.m.

Yeah they look good.
Ordered from the Gemini site?

Yup. Although there seems to be a bit of a shipping delay due to some public holidays.

Oct. 13, 2016, 7:59 a.m.

Just a reminder for solar storm x2… Bought two, one has stopped working after a couple uses, you get what you pay for!

Yeah went for a night ride up Fromme last night before the storm cycle arrived.
One of my magic shines shit the bed.
They really are crap. Get what you pay for x2

http://www.ferei.com/en/products.asp

looking at these.

Oct. 13, 2016, 8:29 a.m.

Yeah went for a night ride up Fromme last night before the storm cycle arrived.
One of my magic shines shit the bed.
They really are crap. Get what you pay for x2

http://www.ferei.com/en/products.asp

looking at these.

Going from cheap/intermediate chinese (Magicshine) to expensive chinese versions? If it were me i'd go with something that has better batteries and 'known' build quality. For close to the price you are looking at there (for just the bar light) you could get a Gemini bar and helmet setup.