Helmet nerds? Tech nerds? Help and Input please

May 8, 2021, 12:55 p.m.

Now...I want to get a new helmet for park duties. Am running a 4 year-old but crash free TLD D3 but would like to upgrade.

I would love to have MIPS and am looking at a few options.

Weird thing...the weight of the current D3s is about 1225gr apparently, the Bell MX9 Mips (for MX duty) is 1500gr.

Now...two questions:

1. Better geo on dh bikes and bigger jumps equal higher speeds, but helmets get lighter? Would it not make sense to go the other way? If you go full on park riding there is not that big a difference between mortals and their 'bike speeds' and 'mx moto speeds'.

By now you should realize that I love to think such thoughts while browsing.

I know that people think that crashing at lower speeds with a heavy helmet makes for whiplash and brain injuries. Yes, but what if a rider crashes at high speeds going down a jump line or powering through high speed berms ... which would be nicer to have, a lighter bike- specific helmet or a helmet that is specific for enduro/mx riding? 

2. What shall I get?

Help me please, tech geeks and helmet nerds. 😅

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Last edited by: Mic on May 8, 2021, 12:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2021, 4:20 p.m.

100% MIPs for me, no question.  I put a dent into my Giant Rail MIPS (lightweight enduro halfshell) in Italy with a big rock laying in the bushes I decided to roll into.  Ripped the MIPS system out of the helmet!  Rode out without any concussion effects.

May 8, 2021, 5:59 p.m.

You might have access to differently cert'ed Moto FFs in Europe than we have over here.  Maybe the Arai or Shoei MX lids are lighter and/or cooler than the DOT MX lids here?

My TLD SE moto lid (DOT Cert) is significantly hotter and heavier than my TLD D3 (which I replaced with a Fox Rampage Pro Carbon last year)

May 9, 2021, 7:47 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

100% MIPs for me, no question.  I put a dent into my Giant Rail MIPS (lightweight enduro halfshell) in Italy with a big rock laying in the bushes I decided to roll into.  Ripped the MIPS system out of the helmet!  Rode out without any concussion effects.

Yes, I agree. I got the Giro Trant for trail duties, and got my little one a Bell Full9 Fusion which has MIPS. He is ten and my brain is my workforce - no point in trying to save money the wrong way.

May 9, 2021, 7:52 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

You might have access to differently cert'ed Moto FFs in Europe than we have over here.  Maybe the Arai or Shoei MX lids are lighter and/or cooler than the DOT MX lids here?

My TLD SE moto lid (DOT Cert) is significantly hotter and heavier than my TLD D3 (which I replaced with a Fox Rampage Pro Carbon last year)

Hmmm....I was thinking along the lines of a Bell MX9. It is about 1500gr, has MIPS but sure as hell is truly hot. The interesting thing is that the MX9 is only "slightly" heavier than a Giro Disciple in XL which is apparently at 1300gr. 

The Bell MX9 is 1500gr. 

Or I simply get the same as I got for my kid. He really likes the feeling of the Bell Full9 Fusion. It definitely looks big and burly but is quite light. I would say a great option for a 10 year-old. 

TLD D3 with MIPS is about as expensive as a D4 which has MIPS, and I am not paying so much money for a helmet. There are less expensive options out there than 350 to 550 Euros for a helmet.

May 10, 2021, 7:34 a.m.

Heavier doesn't necessarily mean better. Due to improvements in technology a newer helmet could offer the exact same protection and durability at lighter weight.

That being said my new POC is definitely heavier than the Smith it replaces. Hotter too. But way more protection/coverage and also the new MIPS technology so it feels worth it.

May 10, 2021, 9:01 a.m.

As a data point for fat heads not much fits or is in stock at the LBS

the only thing that fit me was the Giro Atlas but I put a big crack in the back falling backwards

the XL Bell Sixxer fit really well and it has MIPS

for skiing Giro G9