Heart Rate Monitor That Works With Android

April 21, 2017, 4:16 p.m.

What are people using?

What is available?

I have a Fitbit but it works odd with Strava and doubles my rides and is not very accurate.

I am currently looking at the Wahoo Ticker or Polar H7.

Here is BR picture...

April 21, 2017, 5:53 p.m.

I've got the wahoo tickr. It works with android, but it sucks. For whatever reason mine comes undone really easily. Last ride it come off and got wrapped around my rear hub.

It used to be good, I bought a second one and they changed the design a bit and now it easily falls off.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 21, 2017, 10:56 p.m.

Garmin chest strap is ANT+ compatible and works great.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 22, 2017, 5:06 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Garmin chest strap is ANT+ compatible and works great.

Which garmin are you using? Option one option two

April 22, 2017, 6:52 p.m.

The less expensive one.

April 22, 2017, 7:49 p.m.

The less expensive one.

Do you have it paired to a garmin device or just your phone? Are you using it with Strava?

April 22, 2017, 7:50 p.m.

Posted by: dutch

I've got the wahoo tickr. It works with android, but it sucks. For whatever reason mine comes undone really easily. Last ride it come off and got wrapped around my rear hub.

It used to be good, I bought a second one and they changed the design a bit and now it easily falls off.

What do you mean by falls off easy? it unclips? or slowly loosens? How the hell did it fall off?

April 22, 2017, 10:17 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

The less expensive one.

Do you have it paired to a garmin device or just your phone? Are you using it with Strava?

I typically use a Garmin Edge 500.  I also use it with my Garmin Montana 400, and have used it with my Android phone.  Can't remember when (or if ) I replaced the battery.  The strap comes off and I throw it in the washing machine.

April 22, 2017, 10:29 p.m.

Go Ant if you can because charging Bluetooth versions are a pain.  I have the MiO wrist and its fine except falls down on hot days, due to sweat, and long downhills. After 3 ride it requires a charge, so now you have to go find the small charger and gets to be first world problem after a while. :)  Garmin Ant straps are great and no need to replace battery for at least a year.  

Check if your phone is ant compatible here.  My samsung S6 and garmin Ant HR works fine with strava.

April 23, 2017, 8:26 p.m.

The Wahoo Tickr is a poor design if you ride with a backpack. The elasticated strap has poppers at either end and the HRM part has popper receivers so effectively bridges the strap.

Unfortunately, you need the strap quite tight otherwise it slides down when you get sweaty but being tight means the poppers are always under tension and it's very easy to pull the poppers out, especially when using a backpack with chest strap. I've also lost the HRM part and had the chest strap come loose so never bother wearing it when using a backpack.

Also, with the phone in the backpack and the HRM upfront, the Bluetooth connectivity is marginal (Bluetooth won't work through water which is what most of your body is made off, plus you'll usually have a 3 litre camelback.

Long story short, great for road bike rides with no pack and Garmin on the bars....for the mtbing I do, as useful as a chocolate teapot....

On the plus side, it takes CR2032 batteries which last for ages

April 26, 2017, 4:41 p.m.

Just ordered the fancy Garmin f of MEC. Hope it lives up to the hype.

April 26, 2017, 4:58 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: dutch

What do you mean by falls off easy? it unclips? or slowly loosens? How the hell did it fall off?

Like SixZeroSixOne mentioned, the tickr uses the body of HRM to secure the strap around your chest.

I thought it was a good idea at first as my friend had lost the the body on his polar HRM which has a strap that completely goes around your chest. I figured with the tickr if it popped open you would notice it coming off.. but you don't and it ends up in your rear wheel.

You can see what I mean here: