Hayes vs non-Hayes

Sept. 10, 2007, 9:05 a.m.

I love my Hayes. I have a set of the old purple Hayes and a set of Mags. (basically the same) I haven't bled them in 2 seasons and they are still really powerful. Mine also do not squeal or make noise. But it took a little while to get mine set up just the way I like.
Mine are set up like light switches though. If you pull the lever, they stop the bike dead in its tracks. When you're really flying though, this high power has more modulation simply because of how fast you're going. I'm used to riding like this (even way back in the day when I bmx'd) so I know how to control it.

My wife's Nomad has Juicy 5's, and I like them too, but they're not dramatically different in any way.

I haven't tried any new Hayes, so maybe they suck now, I don't know.

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.

Sept. 10, 2007, 12:16 p.m.

How bout the Hayes el camino brakes? I dont see many of those around….

Sept. 10, 2007, 1:12 p.m.

I had Hayes mags for years and was happy with them but they tired me out on long days with massive arm pump. Also the lever adjust moves around.

I got Avid Juicy 5 on my Demo 7 and they are so much better. you won't be dissapointed.

Sept. 10, 2007, 1:43 p.m.

if you give juciys a good bleed the don't fade out,

Yeah they do. Long sustained steeps like at Sunpeaks or the bottom of Harper will get Avids fading. It takes a few seconds at the bottom for them to cool enough to pump back up. Surprisingly my el-cheapo Shimano Deores didn't fade out at all.

Sept. 10, 2007, 1:58 p.m.

Yeah they do. Long sustained steeps like at Sunpeaks or the bottom of Harper will get Avids fading. It takes a few seconds at the bottom for them to cool enough to pump back up. Surprisingly my el-cheapo Shimano Deores didn't fade out at all.

or just don't brake so much, slowpoke..

Why I dislike Saint/Avid:
1) Saint are VERY pricey (I mean 1 lever costs $300!!!)

ok, really, what kind of Kool-Aid are they feeding you at Steed?

They're $122 for 2..
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=6434

I got a whole setup of Saint Brakes, 2+yrs ago for $420 at an LBS. Go spread your BS somewhere else.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Sept. 10, 2007, 2:05 p.m.

You'll probably need to re-bleed them. Most brakes shouldn't do that, plus, you have to brake like you would in a car - quick, shorts bursts so they don't overheat. With my first set of 7's a couple of years ago, first thing I did was bleed them, I raced on them for a season, rode lots of steeps, and bled them at the end of the season when I sold them. They never once gave me any trouble.

Sept. 10, 2007, 2:10 p.m.

I hated my hayes because: on/off braking, messy to bleed, poor modulation, heavy, master cylinders blow pretty easy and they are noisy as hell.

why i love saints: modulate like a dream, super reliable, easy to bleed with little mess, light and most importantly they stop good

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Sept. 10, 2007, 2:11 p.m.

You'll probably need to re-bleed them. Most brakes shouldn't do that, plus, you have to brake like you would in a car - quick, shorts bursts so they don't overheat. With my first set of 7's a couple of years ago, first thing I did was bleed them, I raced on them for a season, rode lots of steeps, and bled them at the end of the season when I sold them. They never once gave me any trouble.

yeah, I've never had problems with any of my Maguras either. You don't even have to re-bleed them when you cut and shorten the housing. Right now I have 3 sets (2 Louise FRs, 1 Louise BAT) I have bled a front one 1 time when I had to switch a caliper to a different style, that's it, in 2+yrs. I do go through a couple sets of rear pads on my DH bike a year though.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Sept. 10, 2007, 2:18 p.m.

Hayes has the Stroker, but like Manitou…does anyone care anymore?

man if i go by what everyone on this board says im riding the shittiest bike in the world.

cannondale gemini frame
hayes mag brakes
manitou front and rear suspension

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Sept. 10, 2007, 2:24 p.m.

or just don't brake so much, slowpoke..

Normally I have no defence for that, but Sunpeaks on Smitty's or Honeydrop that just isn't an option.

Sept. 10, 2007, 2:29 p.m.

ok, really, what kind of Kool-Aid are they feeding you at Steed?

They're $122 for 2..
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=6434

I got a whole setup of Saint Brakes, 2+yrs ago for $420 at an LBS. Go spread your BS somewhere else.

:lol:

Epic.

Sober

Sept. 10, 2007, 2:53 p.m.

Normally I have no defence for that, but Sunpeaks on Smitty's or Honeydrop that just isn't an option.

Does it make your arm hurt too? ;)

Sept. 10, 2007, 2:54 p.m.

Does it make your arm hurt too? ;)

I just heard a whooshing sound as something zinged over my head…

Sept. 10, 2007, 3:10 p.m.

If bled correctly they sure have endo power.

Endo Queen :grinno:

:safrica: :canada:

If you aren't here to help please use the exit door.

Sept. 10, 2007, 3:18 p.m.

hmm well i notice mine fade when there's only dot 4 in and it needs a bleed, but when i use dot 5 synthetic (the funky looking purple stuff) and give it a good bleed they don't fade at all, even ripping joyride up at whistler was fine.. what year are your juciys 7s? mine are the 07s maybe they corrected the problem??