Hayes rotor bolts...special tool?

May 20, 2005, 9:31 p.m.

The bolts on my 6" rotor aren't standard hex keys. They sort of resemble a star screw head…what sort of tool do I need to remove these and how much does it cost (roughly)?

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

May 20, 2005, 9:34 p.m.

The bolts on my 6" rotor aren't standard hex keys. They sort of resemble a star screw head…what sort of tool do I need to remove these and how much does it cost (roughly)?

Its a torques bit and they're pretty cheap at any tool store. Might find 'em at Home Despot. Definately at Canadian Tire. Or you can come by my place in East Van and I'll lend you mine.

Hey, I'll be in Sooke next weekend with my bike. Got any tips on where to go for some DH action??

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

May 20, 2005, 9:36 p.m.

Torx

T-25.

Pastor of Muppets

May 20, 2005, 9:44 p.m.

Thanks boys. I'm only gonna be running a rear brake for the summer, but if I decide to throw a front brake on for the winter how hard is puting the rotor back on gonna be? I've heard that even torque must be applied to all bolts otherwise the rotor will warp?

~Epictetus

May 20, 2005, 9:52 p.m.

Thanks boys. I'm only gonna be running a rear brake for the summer, but if I decide to throw a front brake on for the winter how hard is puting the rotor back on gonna be? I've heard that even torque must be applied to all bolts otherwise the rotor will warp?

All you have to do is tighten the bolts down and it's fine. The bolts are pretty much the same as the hex bolts that are on pretty much everything else on your bike but just a different pattern. The star is very easy to strip though, so be careful. I take rotors off continuously and it's pretty easy.

May 20, 2005, 10:01 p.m.

….just tighten it like changing a car tire right?

~Epictetus

May 20, 2005, 10:14 p.m.

yup….

Pastor of Muppets

May 20, 2005, 10:53 p.m.

The star is very easy to strip though, so be careful.

torx are not easier to strip, it's just that the ones supplied by hayes are somewhat shallower than normal for clearance so if you are tightening them off the axis there's a tendency to only hit a few of the "stars", resulting in slippage and stripping. using a torx screwdriver is better then the L-shaped ones supplied by hayes.

:high: :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: :high:

May 20, 2005, 11:22 p.m.

go to Canuck Tire and buy the same sized bolts except get them with a hex head.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

May 21, 2005, 12:25 a.m.

go to Canuck Tire and buy the same sized bolts except get them with a hex head.

may not be a good idea if you have a manitou fork. the bolt u may be able to get @ crappy tire will stick out more and hit the fork

:high: :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: :high:

May 21, 2005, 6:52 a.m.

may not be a good idea if you have a manitou fork. the bolt u may be able to get @ crappy tire will stick out more and hit the fork

~Epictetus