Hayes Replacement Brake Pad Options

April 25, 2006, 9:42 a.m.

Just wondering what anyone uses for replacement pads for Hayes. Is there anything people like better than the basic stock pads?

April 25, 2006, 10:05 a.m.

Stick with the regular hayes ones….the other ones all suck…either they suck in the wet or only last for a couple rides.

I have no children and my tits are super perky.

April 25, 2006, 10:06 a.m.

I pretty much thought that might be the case. Never really had a problem with teh Hayes pads, so why change.

April 25, 2006, 11:43 a.m.

shit I can never remember which brands work and which don't. Hayes and EBC seem to be the best. I think Fibrax work pretty well, and Jagwires are decent. Chep MEC pads are just that but they're OK for the back, you just have to replace them more often. Look for pads with a good amount of metallic bits in the pad

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 25, 2006, 12:41 p.m.

AZTEC pads aren't bad either.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

April 25, 2006, 3:28 p.m.

My advice would be to get the "FULL METALLIC" version of the brake pads and not the 'SEMI' metallic version. If you have the stock HFX-9 brakes, most come with semi metallic pads installed. If you have Hayes Mag brakes, they usually come stock with full metallic pads (could also be the reason people say the Mags have much more stopping power than the nines …. when in fact its just the pads). The way you can tell is by looking at the backplate (the part the brake pad material adheres to) …. if its a brass color with holes, its a full metallic pad. If the metal plate is solid black with no holes (I believe) its a semi-metallic brake compound.

The semi metallic brake pads don't seem to have the power that the full ones have, although they are more modulating. If you ride XC you might prefer these pads. However if its pure stopping power you want, I would recommend the full metallic pads hands down.

April 25, 2006, 3:36 p.m.

MEC has the sintered (metallic) pads for $22. best deal around

April 25, 2006, 3:38 p.m.

………and MEC sells actual "Hayes" pads for around half price as the bike shops.

But you didn`t hear that from me.

support your LBS.

04 RMX Team with05 Boxxer WCs …..say hi

stop repn me…i dont deserve it, its true, im a phoney…a big phat phoney!
so what….big woop….wanna fight about it?!

I like to race………does that make me a racist ? :banned: