Hayes Dominion A4 - real live review?

Oct. 29, 2019, 9:05 a.m.

Hi,

I'm looking forward for new set of brakes. Used to run Shimano Saint and now Sram Code. Saint was good but a bit to much on/off, Code is okay but I miss some extra power(on my 29" enduro) and I don't like the fading... Currently I use it with Trickstuff pad's and 200mm front+rear.

Hayes Dominion A4 - has somebody experience or comparison with Saint or Code? Would be great because review's sounds good but real live? :)

Magura - no option, Hope - to less power...

I weight about 90kg and my trails are steep and I use a lot of rear break just for "holding low speed"

Thanks a lot!

Greetings,

Mike

Oct. 29, 2019, 9:59 a.m.

Magura MT7/MT5 are a good option. I'm running the MT Trail (4 piston front/2 in rear) setup on my 29er hard tail and it's been a fantastic combo. Easily as powerful as Saints and good modulation.

Hope Tech3 V4 aren't as immediately powerful as Saints in my experience but resist fade like a mofo

Dominion, have a couple of friends on them and love them, no first hand experience. from MTBR: https://reviews.mtbr.com/hayes-dominion-a4-brakes-review

Oct. 29, 2019, 10:17 a.m.

I would also say MT7/MT5 could be included as an option. World-cup DH winning brake.

I was between the new Code or the MT5s with MT7 pads. A Guy in the Whistler bike park lineup had some MT7s and said he had Codes before. He recommended I go with the Maguras. I haven't swapped in the MT7 pads yet, but they could potentially be a on-off like the saints. I find I'm locking up the rear more-often than intended. That being said, I'm coming off TRP's that I really really struggled to lock up ever, so it could just be me.

Oct. 29, 2019, 10:17 a.m.

No experience with Hayes, reviews seem promising. Shimano 4-pot XT/XTR is a bit more modulation/feel than Saints. You can find the previous gen 8020/9020 on sale pretty cheap these days as well, another option to consider.

Oct. 29, 2019, 10:22 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Magura MT7/MT5 are a good option. I'm running the MT Trail (4 piston front/2 in rear) setup on my 29er hard tail and it's been a fantastic combo. Easily as powerful as Saints and good modulation.

Hope Tech3 V4 aren't as immediately powerful as Saints in my experience but resist fade like a mofo

Dominion, have a couple of friends on them and love them, no first hand experience. from MTBR: https://reviews.mtbr.com/hayes-dominion-a4-brakes-review

The Marguras are great... Just put on the 4 piston Shimano xt's a few months ago,  really like them.  I weight 190 pounds and found there is no fade, even on huge descents.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-shimanos-all-new-xt-4-piston-brake.html

Oct. 29, 2019, 11:42 a.m.

Everyone's lined up at the gate waiting for feedback before purchase. Hayes should send everyone interested on this thread a pair and open the floodgates...

Oct. 29, 2019, 12:25 p.m.

Buy Magura MT5. Cut line to length and throw away Lever/Body. Buy SLX Lever/Body. Install on Magura line. Profit.

Oct. 29, 2019, 1:06 p.m.

What's wrong with the MT5?

Also where are you getting cheap Levers and Bodies from? I have 3 Shimano and 4 SRAM Calipers that work, but need new levers. Buying a whole new set of MT5s was about the same price though.

Last edited by: Cheez1ts on Oct. 29, 2019, 1:08 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 29, 2019, 2:39 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Buy Magura MT5. Cut line to length and throw away Lever/Body. Buy SLX Lever/Body. Install on Magura line. Profit.

Nice. Connection hardware?

Oct. 29, 2019, 3:16 p.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

What's wrong with the MT5?

Also where are you getting cheap Levers and Bodies from? I have 3 Shimano and 4 SRAM Calipers that work, but need new levers. Buying a whole new set of MT5s was about the same price though.

The MT5 levers are awesome until they aren't. Not sure what the deal is but I suspect the reservoir isn't big enough to hold enough fluid and when the system gets hot, it expands and blows out the front seal. It's happened to me a few times and a few other buddies. The brakes are sick until then though. The Shimano upgrade (Shigura) provides even more power with a reliable lever/body. The value in the Magura brake is in the caliper imo. Just Google it and read some forums, I've been beyond happy with mine.

Last edited by: T-mack on Oct. 29, 2019, 3:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 29, 2019, 3:17 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Posted by: T-mack

Nice. Connection hardware?

The Shimano olive and barb work on the magura line and vice versa.

Oct. 30, 2019, 10:56 a.m.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback!

I ordered the Hayes :) Will let you know my feedback in a view weeks...

Greetings,

Mike

Dec. 26, 2019, 11:57 p.m.

Hi,

after serval rides, my short feedback.

Setup including cutting cables(cables are bigger that those from shimano or sram, but fit into the internal routing of my megatower) and bleeding is fast forward. Bleeding the "dual" head ist a nice feature - also had some small bubbles. Lever feeling is very nice. T106(had just two rides with them - will test it in future again) are nice but the T100 are more consistend as soon as they get hot. Brake power is great - like a saint but modulation like code. During heavy rain and snowfall the brakes are very loud and it takes some time until power comes. They need some temperature to operate like the should. Organic pad's like trickstuff win here. Also a little of brake point wandering as they get hot, no big deal and not as much as shimano - more like the code.

Fazit: Dominion is a powerful brake but also the loudes brake I ever had :) Would I buy them again? YES

Looking forward how they will be on long decents in a bike park and how the handly the high temperature . 

Greetings,

Mike

April 16, 2020, 5:04 a.m.

update - still happy with the Domnion's