Hayes Bleed issue

May 23, 2004, 11:22 a.m.

I have a set of Hayes Mags, 2002 model. I've bled them myself a half dozen times, my friend tried twice and even my LBS gave it a go, still no Hayes stopping joy. I've never not been able to bleed my brakes, I'm pretty comfortable with the process, and have done it successfully dozens of times before.

Here's the problem:

The hose is new (steel braided) and was installed correctly with a new olive at each end. When you open the caliper bleed screw, you have to open it damn near all the way to be able to force fluid through and even then, you're lucky to get the fluid moving. It's almost like there's a blockage in the master cylinder, fluid just doesn't move through it at all.

Anyone ever experience this before?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

May 23, 2004, 12:17 p.m.

take the drain bolt completely out and inspect it. sometimes the end can be crushed limiting the ammount of fluid to bleed through the system. if thats not the problem, take apart your master cylinder … its very simple.

ps - by drain bolt, i mean the bleed screw in the calipher

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor
It happens to be like:
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
"She used the poison in his tea
and kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story
It's no fun til someone dies

May 23, 2004, 7:17 p.m.

You can take the caliper apart without removing the hose, so you could try that and check for blockage in the caliper.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells