Hayes 9's... Class action lawsuit?

July 14, 2004, 11:35 p.m.

Originally posted by NooNer
**so if it were a car company and the bolts holding the calipher to the rotor are faulty and work there way out there should be no recall? its about saftey, if you cant stop you may take a serious tumble. personally i will never ride hayes again, but thats only because i got my mitts on some xt's.

anyhow, i think a lawsuit is completely out of the question. its an easy fix, if loctite doesnt work …. use JB weld :P **

There is a difference between something you can feel and see that is loose and something hidden behind the wheels. My friend had to tighten it every run at Whistler so I know what the problem is. Why should there even be recall on a bunch of fucking bolts? Last time I checked, a dealership for cars should EASILY be able to fix the problem and same with a bike shop in this case.

Im black on the inside.
FYI: Im blacker than black.
bmx>mtb

July 14, 2004, 11:41 p.m.

Why should bike shops take the hit for Hayes?

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

July 15, 2004, 5:45 a.m.

Originally posted by Ashek
**You guys complaining about your brakes not working crack me up. Take some time to see how they work, and WHY it comes loose, and then fix it. Its not that hard. The amount of crap we put parts through is astounding.

Ive seen people riding with zipties and elastic bands around their levers so they wont pop out bitching about how crappy their brakes are. All it takes is an hour to take them apart, see how they work, replace small parts (90% of the time its the washer) and reassemble. SIMPLE.

Quit bitching and learn from your mistakes. Here, I even did the work for you.

http://bb.nsmb.com/newforum/showthread.php?s=[HTML_REMOVED]threadid=31349

Lawsuit.. right.. thats a very american way of thinking. "I have a problem so I'll blame it on moneybags" **

Perhaps you are not getting the point of this thread, the problem is not form crashing.

The problems is out of the box on new un used brakes.

The brakes that come on the $2000 bikes that you are looking at buying and have not even ridden yet now need a 1 hour over haul before you can even ride.

you have an Intrestring point of view.

Who should pay for this fix?

The coustomer that just bought a $2000 bike or the shop that made maybe $200 on the bike sale?

Perhaps you should stop and take a closer a look at the problem.

New parts should work like new and not require large ammounts of labor out of the box.

The nice thing about a free market is that we have choice on what we buy, and there fore less and less people are buying hayes brakes.

They will have to fix the problem sooner or later. The longer they wait the more they hurt their rep

July 15, 2004, 7:15 a.m.

I saw this a lot on 03 HFX-9s but haven't seen
it yet on 04 HFX 9's so they may have fixed it but it still sucks for owners of the 03 system.

July 15, 2004, 8:07 a.m.

I have 04's and they have the same problem. I am going to write hayes today. And ya I agree with the last post, the problem isn't from a crash. I'll let you know what hayes says.

July 15, 2004, 8:55 a.m.

:lol: Go get 'em!!!!

A safety issue? Give me a break guys….bring that one to court…what is more dangerous? You engaging in downhill mountain biking, or levers that need the reach adjusted?

Don't be silly.

Your reach adjusters need blue locktite. Blue locktite is designed to be used in applications where vibration can loosen fasteners, yet still allow those parts to be moved with tools without damaging them. (read: something like reach adjusters fits this description to a T)

Use a sharp tipped object with a dab of blue locktite on it to apply a small amount of the product to the reach adjust threads. You may need to do this every now and then…but I assure you it is a lot less work than trying to bring Hayes to court because you can't be bothered to do this little fix that most would classify as maintenance.

July 15, 2004, 8:58 a.m.

Originally posted by ridefruita
**Perhaps you are not getting the point of this thread, the problem is not form crashing.

The problems is out of the box on new un used brakes.

The brakes that come on the $2000 bikes that you are looking at buying and have not even ridden yet now need a 1 hour over haul before you can even ride.

you have an Intrestring point of view.

Who should pay for this fix?

The coustomer that just bought a $2000 bike or the shop that made maybe $200 on the bike sale?

Perhaps you should stop and take a closer a look at the problem.

New parts should work like new and not require large ammounts of labor out of the box.

The nice thing about a free market is that we have choice on what we buy, and there fore less and less people are buying hayes brakes.

They will have to fix the problem sooner or later. The longer they wait the more they hurt their rep **

Take a deep breath and a step back… :lol:

We are talking about a dab of blue locktite…no overhaul, no 1 hour of service, no cost…A dab of locktite and your issue is fixed. It is part of the set up.

You are customer, you have free choice in what you buy. You don't like them? No worries, buy another brake. :)

July 15, 2004, 9:01 a.m.

of course court is a stretch…more humour then anything…
But Hayes should stand by it's product and figure out a better solution then lock tight…other specs don't require it. Could you imagine a car company saying that you have to apply locktight to your brakes after every 4 * 4ing experiance.

For the record the shop applied blue lock tight and it lasted all of 2 rides….I am told red may work better…but does this mean it will be hard to get the bolt out if ever needed.

July 15, 2004, 9:04 a.m.

Originally posted by 1994canucks
**of course court is a stretch…more humour then anything…
But Hayes should stand by it's product and figure out a better solution then lock tight…other specs don't require it. Could you imagine a car company saying that you have to apply locktight to your brakes after every 4 * 4ing experiance.

For the record the shop applied blue lock tight and it lasted all of 2 rides….I am told red may work better…but does this mean it will be hard to get the bolt out if ever needed. **

4x4'ing presents more problems for your vehicle and warranty than bolts coming loose, but we are not even talking about loose bolts. It is a reach adjuster, that's all.

I wouldn't use red locktite..the Red compound is designed for one time use to freeze the parts together….the blue allows things to be adjusted without re-applying. With red, there is no guarantee you will be able to use the reach adjuster again before stripping the head off the adjuster (and you need this adjustment as pads wear).

Put more blue on to build it up.

You can also use teflon tape (plumbers tape).

July 15, 2004, 9:06 a.m.

This problem is not only limited to the HFX 9's

I have the loosening problem with my Mags as well (after every run at Whistler the lever would be further and further in). It is an inherent design flaw in the reach adjustment screw on both the Mags and the HFX 9's. I simply see this as another thing on my list of weekly bike maintenance.

I would however rather have to apply a little locktite from time to time than destroy the master cylinder in a crash (if this is the real reason for the cruddy design).

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

July 15, 2004, 10:22 a.m.

Meh, mine works now. Blue Loc-Tite worked for me, but not at first:D

.243 racing wethepeople

July 15, 2004, 10:25 a.m.

It's a design flaw and it should be addressed… period. Funny how every LBS has the same opinion about these 'POS brakes'.

As for safety… how about you're rippin' your local trail/DH at speed, coming in to a tech corner… you go to bleed some speed and your already loctited, adjusted lever comes in to the bar, crushing your fingers in between while trying to get some power to your brakes… they bailin' hard, injuring yourself.

Hayes would be found liable ….and/or the LBS for not making one aware of the faulty/unsafe product they just sold you with your new bike and/or not explaining how to properly maintain it's short comings.

Des

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

July 15, 2004, 10:26 a.m.

Have you tried to replace the actaul hardware?? Vibration will cause the bolt and round retainer nut to wear . Buy new pieces and lock tight ASAP and you wont have any problems.

Worked for me.

July 15, 2004, 10:28 a.m.

Its funny how my old hayes brake from 1999 works fine. its almost like they make the brakes shitty on purpose so they can have a cheap OEM product and an "upgrade"

July 15, 2004, 10:42 a.m.

There is no conspiracy, please put away your tinfoil hats.

No one is making brakes that are faulty on purpose as a design. Thats just bad business, nevermind it being illegal. There IS no design flaw. The reason that the bushing is loose, is to allow the lever to go back and forth with just the force of a little spring, and the pressure in the oil line itself. BECAUSE the bushing is a LITTLE loose (its not a lot on a new brake, if thats what were talking about now) and it has a bolt in it, with repeated use, it will come loose, if you dont apply some sort of thread sealer. If you have a problem with locktite, take a look at how many bolts in your bike have locktite on them from the getgo. Brand new brakes shaking loose after 2 rides? if theres no locktite on it, im not surprised. Thats both yours, and your shops fault. You, if youre technically minded, should forsee this, and check all bolts before EVERY RIDE, read your manuals. Your shops, if your too lazy to do this and take it into them to get it tuned up.

Also, if anyone bothered to read the docs on Hayes website, they describe this exact problem, and give a reasonable solution, what is it? locktite.. oh surprise, it seems to work for everyone else.

At some point I gotta call bullshit on this.

I wish my lawn was emo, then the grass would cut itself.