Hayes 9 question

Nov. 22, 2005, 9:43 a.m.

Hi all

Last night went for a ride and decided that I wanted to go for a swim off the teeter on Ladies because it was just so damn nice out last night :)

So as I was doing my perfect swan dive in the bike also wanted to join me, which I also thought was a great idea becasue it was so hot out.

In the process of this awsome peformance of man/machine in perfect dive formation some how I managed to reef the front break lever to the point that the long shaft with the nob on the end that goes inside the bladder came out.. "Lost the little C-clip". As hard as I tried I could get this back in.

So I had the ultimate ride down the rest of Ladies and upper/lower skull with no front break. "A side note, I have perfected the cannon ball ejection from the bike"

So anyone had this happen to the a Hayes lever and can I fix it? or is it a lost cause.. "because I would HATE to have to buy a new set of Avid Juicy 7's"

Thanks for listening to your fool…

Nov. 22, 2005, 9:53 a.m.

hayes is pretty good for small parts. i believe you have to buy more then just the c-clip put the kit cost about 15-25 bucks. i believe the kit has the c-clip,washer and threaded rod that goes into the lever. any LBS should be able to help you out.

Nov. 22, 2005, 10:21 a.m.

lol…

shouldn't cost much to fix that.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Nov. 22, 2005, 10:38 a.m.

lol…

shouldn't cost much to fix that.

so how much then?

usually when that c-clip pops out the washer also gets bent. i don't think hayes sells just the c-clip alone, although thats not to say a shop won't sell you one or you can source one yourself.

Nov. 22, 2005, 10:42 a.m.

My lbs gave me the C clip for free.

Nov. 22, 2005, 10:51 a.m.

My lbs gave me the C clip for free.

So how do i get that rod with the nub at the end inside because it seems like it does not want to go in easy.

Nov. 22, 2005, 11:31 a.m.

Ideally you would install the c-clip with snap ring pliers after the "rod with the nub at the end" has been inserted into the ball joint. You need to take the rod off the lever to install the new washer too.

Nov. 22, 2005, 11:33 a.m.

hayes does sell individual small parts. and they aren't that expensive. just hit up your LBS and get them to wip out the OGC cataolg and find what you need.

although, if you've got the money for a new set of Juicy 7 kickin around, i'd be inclinded to go that route. They are a way better brake then the Nines will ever be, in my opinion.

Life always works it self out in the end.

Be like me, ride your bike.

Nov. 22, 2005, 3:45 p.m.

Ideally you would install the c-clip with snap ring pliers after the "rod with the nub at the end" has been inserted into the ball joint. You need to take the rod off the lever to install the new washer too.

He's got it right on the money. Any shop knows this about Hayes 9's, and will be able to fix you up easily.

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.