Have bike bag will travel?

April 7, 2009, 6:21 p.m.

I would not want to tare my bike apart that much. I dont think a bike bag would offer enough protection.
Posted via Mobile Device

I beefed up the protection that the Dakine bag offers with a few pieces of foam and a padded fork bag. I took the fork off for my last travels but was later told that if I unbolted one end of the shock there would have been enough room to keep the fork on.

Thankfully, it worked well for 4 legs of plane travel so far.

April 8, 2009, 8:28 p.m.

I was talking about those poor bastards that take there swing arms off to fit in the unpadded hockey bags.

But that is a good tip about the fork bag for extra protection.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

April 15, 2009, 10:04 a.m.

I've used carboard boxes, padded and unpadded bags.
Cardboard is a bit of a pain to pack and cart around, but cheap, disposable and light weight.
Unpadded kinda freaked me out, but hey, my bikes are pretty burly and take the abuse well. The unpadded bag was a bit slender as well, which made packing tedious, but the airline check-ins where sometimes painless.
The big bag was a dakine monster, heavy and big and $$$, but relatively easy to pack and very re-assuring.
I have since sold the Dakine bag and now work on cardboard boxes only. This is primarily because of the non-use storage of said box is tedious, and when I go somewhere with my bike, I don't want to have a big black albatross around my neck. Much easier to ditch the cardboard, ride around whereever you want then dig up a new box for the trip home.

Chirp

April 15, 2009, 1:16 p.m.

storing the Da-Kine bag is a problem - its freakin huge! I just lean it against the wall in my study

I can fit all my spare tires and bike parts in there, and my 2 cats have decided to use the top as a nice shelf to snooze on, so its all covered in cat hair..hmmm

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/