has pairity saved you $

Oct. 6, 2007, 9:55 p.m.

Unfortunately, I think it's a pretty fair comparison given the way free trade and cross border shopping have gone over the past couple of years. I have a pretty good grasp on the difficulties of running a brick and mortar bike shop (fixed costs like labour, rent / lease, higher purchasing costs, differences in currency valuation between time when pricing is set and goods are delivered, etc. etc.).

The average consumer, however, doesn't differentiate between the two types of purchasing options (local, online) and so many people research purchases these days that almost everyone knows USD online retail prices when they come into a shop, esp. for a substantial purchase. At a certain price point the extra hassle associated with sending stuff in for warranty becomes worth it to the consumer.

The bicycle marketplace is changing and buying and selling gear online is here to stay. Many LBSs are going to have to react accordingly to survive. If certain distributors are going to stonewall online sales, that COULD mean fewer shops carrying less stock and / or others going grey-market.

And FWIW, I think it's worthy to support local shops despite current pricing differences. Most of them are mom-and-pop shops and very few shop owners are rolling in their 5.0s with the ragtops down.

Not what i meant. Buddy was saying he can get a freemastrat for the lbs for x or the same freemastrat for less from a online US source. A better comparison is between a retail source up here and a retail source in the US.

But I agree that the lbs will see some difficulties due the quick availability of stuff online for far less in many cases. For example Mavic Crossmax SX are about $760US and suggested retail up here is $1350. $760 plus shipping and brokerage fees and taxes and get them in two days or so
is a no brainer. Until you have issues of course.

For simple stuff like a saddle or stem where a warranty is really unlikely is one thing but a fork spewing oil is another. I much prefer going to the shop to vent in person. And I like to talk to the shop guys and get advice.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 6, 2007, 10:57 p.m.

For example Mavic Crossmax SX are about $760US and suggested retail up here is $1350. $760 plus shipping and brokerage fees and taxes and get them in two days or so
is a no brainer. Until you have issues of course.

overtime in coquitlam has em for $800can.

Oct. 7, 2007, 12:06 p.m.

Holy Jebus!!!

http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_product.php?pid=1821

Wow!! Now I really don't have a excuse not to try clip's.

1. Massing savings -[HTML_REMOVED] Check.
2. Sticking it to Norco -[HTML_REMOVED] Check.

Oct. 7, 2007, 12:27 p.m.

Remember, we have almost Free Universal Health Care, so in the end, we win. Every time you crash your bike up here and have to go to the hospital, there is no charge, in the US however….

Broken left tib-fib: week in the hospital, IV meds, surgery for titanium rod, prescription meds, and physical therapy = $42,680. After Aetna Health Insurance provided by employer = $2,486 copay. God forbid that happened 2 years ago snowboarding when I was a IT contractor with no health insurance….

Personally, I'd rather pay more for bike parts!!

"If at first you don't succeed, it will definitely leave a mark!!"

facebook.com/robholio

I wish people would stop whining about braking bumps, they happen and thats why there is full suspension, man up ya posers…

sliding downhill is like sex or pizza …even the bad stuff is pretty good

Oct. 7, 2007, 1:10 p.m.

And FWIW, I think it's worthy to support local shops despite current pricing differences. Most of them are mom-and-pop shops and very few shop owners are rolling in their 5.0s with the ragtops down.

amen. I feel a little dirty not buying the brakes from my LBS. That said I have spent, quite literaly, well over $15K there in the last 11yrs and referred them around $10K in sales. So, I only feel a little dirty. Like it or not we live in a capitalist society with VERY well educated consumers. Canadians by in large are quite frugal.( probably due to the fact that CCRA wants a whole lot of what you made to pay for your visits to the emerg.) As a result we want to get the most out of every penny. The laws of supply and demand are at work. While prices here are higher now the increased purchasing power of the Loonie will mean that prices will become closer. It is unlikely that they will be the same as in the states. That said if my LBS can close the gap on prices to within 10-15% of a US retailer, I'll stay home. But when the difference is 50%, I have to take advantage. I've got 2 kids coming in the next 9 months and I have to make every penny count. Which is why I'm getting tires for the car in the states (again $232 cheaper. buy 3 get one free.)…and my Mum is buying an Acura in the states. ( she'll save close to $9K.) :damn:

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

Oct. 7, 2007, 1:18 p.m.

I just bought a bike off ebay and it was nice not having to pay a premium on the exchange.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Oct. 7, 2007, 4:55 p.m.

its good that some folks are realizing you gotta factor EVERY penny extra it costs to shop stateside … that includes gas to get down there

AND the consider hassles you might have if you ordered the wrong part or need warranty

People underestimate the health care thing ,basicly they won't refuse you service.The X-wife used to admitt folks (admitting clerk not a doctor) to surrey memorial which is actualy only 15km from the border who were obviously from the U.S. but didnt have med insurance and as one of the largest indo canadian areas in Canada she also seen alot of folks from india

my buddy kacked his leg up at bigwhite ,as a self employed financial advisor he hadnt paid any health care premiums in 5 years he still got it all for nothin

Oct. 7, 2007, 6:02 p.m.

If you order online, you still are paying GST (and perhaps duty), so the Canadian health care system is stilling getting a chunk of the action.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 7, 2007, 7:37 p.m.

If you order online, you still are paying GST (and perhaps duty), so the Canadian health care system is stilling getting a chunk of the action.

not true. no tax/duty/fees on the brakes i just bought.

Oct. 7, 2007, 10:53 p.m.

not true. no tax/duty/fees on the brakes i just bought.

The only way you aren't going to pay GST at the border is if the Customs personnel let you through (which is really at their discretion) or if you smuggle the item. All goods coming into Canada are subject to GST charges to be paid by the end-consumer (you). This includes used items (I paid GST on my used bike purchased from ebay). And you will pay duty if the country of origin is outside of the NAFTA agreement (US/Mexico). So if you were to buy a Norco (Canada is the country of origin) or a Santa Cruz (USA is country of origin) in the US, you would not be subject to any Duty charges. You will pay exactly the same amount of tax whether you purchase at your LBS or at the border. Of course, bikes and parts are not subject to PST regardless of where you purchase them.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Oct. 7, 2007, 11:09 p.m.

I was searching around on ebay today and thought it was pretty cool when the price was listed at $225 USD and $221 Canadian.

It's all about fun.

My Blog

Oct. 8, 2007, 10:25 p.m.

not bike parts but I was in Washington for a few days and went to Fry's in Renton and picked up a Free Agent 500 gig drive for $169. on the way back today I stopped in at the Best Buy in Mount Vernon and they had Western Digital 500 gig drives for $119 so I picked up one of those as well.

no duties on hard dries so it might be worth looking online. Future Shop had a similar WD drive on for $330.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Oct. 9, 2007, 12:19 p.m.

The only way you aren't going to pay GST at the border is if the Customs personnel let you through (which is really at their discretion) or if you smuggle the item. All goods coming into Canada are subject to GST charges to be paid by the end-consumer (you). QUOTE]

or in my case DHL. I've order online a number of times from the states. only once for bike parts. All orders were under $300. All were shipped via courier ( suppliers chosen method/company) and have yet to pay any taxes…..hmmm. All goods are subject to GST, but there appears to be some discretion involved here as to perhaps the declared dollar amount at which CCRA is going to bother assessing GST on items arriving via mail/courier. only a theory

Oct. 9, 2007, 3:03 p.m.

Remember, we have almost Free Universal Health Care, so in the end, we win. Every time you crash your bike up here and have to go to the hospital, there is no charge, in the US however….

Free? You don't pay taxes? It ain't close to free brother. From the BC Med (OHIP or what have you) premiums to the taxes that pay for other portions of it, it ain't even close to free. Probably better that a full private system, but I am not really qualified to answer that.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 9, 2007, 4:20 p.m.

I bought a video camera in the states for $300 less than here.