Hardtail or Full-suspension Trailbike

Dec. 14, 2020, 11:05 p.m.

Now...did something impulsive yesterday. At times decisions like that can happen. 

After I got a used 2018 Process 165, size S, for my little one (turned 10 and is already 150cm tall) from a trusted bikepark, I asked if they had another one in L or XL. 

They did...and I got some images, and agreed. Soon-ish I am going to be the happy owner of a bike with a little too much travel but quite a sturdy one, given that I am on the heavier side.

Dec. 15, 2020, 6:01 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

After I got a used 2018 Process 165, size S, for my little one (turned 10 and is already 150cm tall) from a trusted bikepark, I asked if they had another one in L or XL. 

They did...

Congrats to both of you. Enjoy the new to you rides. :-)

Dec. 15, 2020, 1:43 p.m.

Soon-ish I am going to be the happy owner of a bike with a little too much travel but quite a sturdy one, given that I am on the heavier side.

Sounds like fun!

Dec. 15, 2020, 3:32 p.m.

Now...did something impulsive yesterday. At times decisions like that can happen. 

They did...and I got some images, and agreed. Soon-ish I am going to be the happy owner of a bike with a little too much travel but quite a sturdy one, given that I am on the heavier side.

Congrats! Pics when you get it!

Dec. 15, 2020, 4:28 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

Congrats. Funny how life takes you in different directions. I doubt you were considering a 165mm travel sled when you posted this thread. I think you now have good reason to still get a hardtail. 

#1 you probably got a good deal on this bike 

#2 you didn't really fill the niche you were looking for

Dec. 16, 2020, 12:20 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Congrats. Funny how life takes you in different directions. I doubt you were considering a 165mm travel sled when you posted this thread. I think you now have good reason to still get a hardtail. 

#3 N+1 

Thanks everyone, I definitely post pics of both. Life is sometimes ... surprising, I never wanted to have an enduro bike since I have a DH bike as well, but thought "What the hell, I am a bit heavy, so a light trailbike might be overwhelmed at certain times" and the deal was great, regularly serviced and a full service before I get it (shock and fork, bearings, etc) for 1500 - that is pretty unreal, I think. 

I am really curious if I ride any differently, never had a squishy pedally bike.

Dec. 16, 2020, 7:54 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

#3 N+1 

Thanks everyone, I definitely post pics of both. Life is sometimes ... surprising, I never wanted to have an enduro bike since I have a DH bike as well, but thought "What the hell, I am a bit heavy, so a light trailbike might be overwhelmed at certain times" and the deal was great, regularly serviced and a full service before I get it (shock and fork, bearings, etc) for 1500 - that is pretty unreal, I think. 

I am really curious if I ride any differently, never had a squishy pedally bike.

I’ll go out on a limb and predict it will be the most ridden bike in your stable. Modern trail bikes are surprisingly capable.

Dec. 16, 2020, 12:27 p.m.

I’ve got a 2015 Process 153. I thought it was going to be too much travel for me too, but it’s been a really fun bike. 

I recently got rid of my hardtail, and I am now even looking at getting rid of my Cyclocross bike, making my 153 my only pedal bike. My commute to work is 50/50 road/trails. The 153 is geared better for going up, fits me better, and is way way more fun on the trails. 

You and your son are going to have a lot of fun on the new bikes, congrats!

Dec. 18, 2020, 3:14 a.m.

Waiting, and ... waiting, and... waiting.... and really excited. I am sooo curious how that is going to ride. I tried my kiddo's bike and that one feels like tons of fun, size S. Oh my....

Dec. 19, 2020, 6:01 a.m.

Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but picked this up last night. Lots of OT, saving, and eBaying all of my other bike stuff, but worth it! Hoping to get the first ride in this weekend.

Added my fork and a few other bits.

Dec. 19, 2020, 7:56 a.m.

Nice!

Almost time to start the 2021 bike threads

Last edited by: Poz on Dec. 19, 2020, 8:15 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 30, 2020, 7:24 a.m.

Now....bike arrived this morning...finally. Did a short spin on some fire roads and a bit of singletrack. 

Feels awesome but really a galaxy away from my old Stylus. Post pics as soon as I can figure out how to attach images.

Dec. 30, 2020, 9:27 a.m.

Regarding attaching photos, I just upload whatever photo I want to share on pinkbike and then copy the .jpg URL of the image to the nsmb forum