Hans Dampf

July 12, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

Anyone else finding the regular casing not as strong lately? I've put holes in 3 seperate tires in the tread patterns. Sidewalls have been fine. Have also had a couple of other friends do the same. Just a bad summer with more sharp rocks? Schwalbe decreasing the amount of rubber to save weight?

Im pretty light and don't monster truck everything, not sure if i want to run super gravity but feel like there arent too many other options.

July 13, 2015, 6:58 a.m.

can anyone comment how tough the regular casing is compared to say, an EXO minion? I'm thinking about swapping on a set of Hans Dampf's pretty soon here but get (almost) zero flats with EXO minion's and don't want to sacrifice to a weaker tire.

July 13, 2015, 7:09 a.m.

can anyone comment how tough the regular casing is compared to say, an EXO minion? I'm thinking about swapping on a set of Hans Dampf's pretty soon here but get (almost) zero flats with EXO minion's and don't want to sacrifice to a weaker tire.

I've been running the Snakeskin casing on my AM bikes for years in the Koots… other than the previous issues with side knobs ripping off, the durability has been excellent. Not a single ripped sidewall… run tubeless BTW as well.

July 13, 2015, 1:34 p.m.

if the knobs don't rip off and you don't really need traction and don't mind paying more, then HD's are alright I guess. EXO Minions are a better tire and Butchers are a good lighter alternative if you dont need the EXO stuff.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 15, 2015, 12:49 p.m.

I've had the same experience. I love the tire, but blow through them in a season (tearing side knobs).

I'm going to give the new Nobby Nic ('15) a try. Supposedly they fit between the HD and the old NN as far a tread, but the side knobs have more support. Good rolling for a rear, and Trailstar (softer compound) for the front.

Wish me luck…

July 15, 2015, 1:52 p.m.

I've had the same experience. I love the tire, but blow through them in a season (tearing side knobs).

I'm going to give the new Nobby Nic ('15) a try. Supposedly they fit between the HD and the old NN as far a tread, but the side knobs have more support. Good rolling for a rear, and Trailstar (softer compound) for the front.

Wish me luck…

I am running the new Nobby Nic on the back of my AM bike… last year's Hans Dampf on the front.. after a month of riding the Nobby Nic is looking no worse for wear, but the Hans Dampf is showing a few small cracks… so I think early news is good news on the durability.

July 15, 2015, 3:05 p.m.

Sorry I'm not currently running HD's but as to NN…I've had the new '15 Nobby Nic on the front of my bike for about 3 months or so. Snake skin, Trail Star compound, run at 24psi.

Holding up fine, for me anyhow.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

July 15, 2015, 3:29 p.m.

I saw a review of the new Nobby Nic on pinkbike that had me going oh yeah baby until there was an update saying it wasn't great in the wet. The sound of a balloon deflating was emitted by myself.

Wrong. Always.

July 15, 2015, 6:35 p.m.

Meh, it's pretty good. I tend to be unimpressed by tires though. I think I was on a DHF for too many years and everything feels crappyish to me in comparison.

'15 NN is a little too narrow, and a little too rounded for me. It works though. Sort of fast rolling. Sort of light. Fairly safe in turns and so far predictable.

I felt the same way about Butchers though. Except the fast rolling part.

I'd probably buy the NN again. With a wider than 24mm i.d. rim next time to square it up a bit.

I'd like to see somebody more trustworthy than R.C. , who trumped up Navegals for years, test that tire. A Vert Star NN in the wet, with a proper tester- I'd bet it would be all floating hearts

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

July 16, 2015, 8:19 a.m.

Meh, it's pretty good. I tend to be unimpressed by tires though. I think I was on a DHF for too many years and everything feels crappyish to me in comparison.

'15 NN is a little too narrow, and a little too rounded for me. It works though. Sort of fast rolling. Sort of light. Fairly safe in turns and so far predictable.

I felt the same way about Butchers though. Except the fast rolling part.

I'd probably buy the NN again. With a wider than 24mm i.d. rim next time to square it up a bit.

I'd like to see somebody more trustworthy than R.C. , who trumped up Navegals for years, test that tire. A Vert Star NN in the wet, with a proper tester- I'd bet it would be all floating hearts

I have the 2015 NN mounted on a 29mm internal diameter rim… this is the 2.25 version and the profile is substantially larger than a traditional rim.

July 17, 2015, 1:23 p.m.

I have one ride (18-20miles) on the new NN and so far so good.

I'm running 27.5 with 28mm internal dim rims and went 2.35 Trailstar (F) and 2.25 Pacestar (R). Last tires were Maxxis DHF (F) and Ardent (R), which I can't complain about.

They aren't the widest with not a lot of difference between the 2.35 [HTML_REMOVED] 2.25 sizes. The 2.35 is maybe a few MM narrower than the Maxxix DHF 2.35. Despite the width, the volume seems good and I'm able to run them at 23psi (F) and 25psi (R). 180lbs with gear.

They roll [HTML_REMOVED] pedal great and never washed out on fast hardback and loose over hard. I was able to drift the rear, which felt really controlled. Not sure if that's partly due to the Pacestar compound. Braking too seemed good and predictable.

No strange or premature wear yet either, so we'll see how a few more rides do.

July 17, 2015, 5:57 p.m.

Running HD's on 2 bikes now. Blur LTc and Chromag Aperture. Very good results so far on traction and OK rolling resistance. Both sets 2.35" tubeless Snakeskin. No knob rips. But yes 1 mid-tread puncture! I thought it was very odd.

Leggatt just mounted a set of Super Gravity HD's and ripped a knob 1st ride! We thought it might be different casing and tread compound making them more susceptible.

July 17, 2015, 9:54 p.m.

Also just had a mid tread hole in a fairly new hans damph

July 18, 2015, 10:02 p.m.

Was running super gravity Hans Dampfs - nobs began tearing away inside of 3 months. Switched back to minions (dhf exo casing) and all is good.

I really wanted to find a new tire to switch things up a bit, but I just keep going back to minions.

July 20, 2015, 9:22 a.m.

Just found a huge tear in the bead at the rim in a pretty much brand new HD. Another one down. Used on the front. Can fit a nickel and nearly a quarter in the hole.