May 28, 2020, 9:05 p.m.

https://youtu.be/3l6EcBg9EPA

Entertaining

May 29, 2020, 12:43 a.m.

This is ... fucking ... great.

May 29, 2020, 9:05 a.m.

dead chuffed with this

May 29, 2020, 10:51 a.m.

Hambini is merciless (and I'm a fan - lol). He got into it with some wheel company about aerodynamic claims they were making about their wheels - full streisand effect. Worth finding those forum threads if you're bored, it's epic.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=153138&sid=b278aac09997bdb5160d44ee85773322&start=945#p1439546

https://flocycling.com/blogs/blog/flos-side-of-the-hambini-accusations

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on May 29, 2020, 10:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 29, 2020, 12:11 p.m.

He’s a bit much at times but he makes you think. I wonder if some of the threaded bb bikes I’ve had where I’ve needed a new bb annually was just out of spec? I had a Kona Hei Hei years ago where the brake studs were too low and I couldn’t really set the brake pads correctly. Built by Sandvik to the wrong spec. I had to buy rims that sloped in to the tire to get the pads to track ok. The replacement was marginally better. I learned later from a friend at Norco about the wrong brake stud spec. So you wonder about manufacturers which are often contractors eliminating steps to make better profits.

May 29, 2020, 3:15 p.m.

"Wanketeers"

May 29, 2020, 3:53 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

He’s a bit much at times but he makes you think. I wonder if some of the threaded bb bikes I’ve had where I’ve needed a new bb annually was just out of spec? I had a Kona Hei Hei years ago where the brake studs were too low and I couldn’t really set the brake pads correctly. Built by Sandvik to the wrong spec. I had to buy rims that sloped in to the tire to get the pads to track ok. The replacement was marginally better. I learned later from a friend at Norco about the wrong brake stud spec. So you wonder about manufacturers which are often contractors eliminating steps to make better profits.

Every 'standard' has a tolerance. QC is only as good as the effort put into it.

May 29, 2020, 4:19 p.m.

You can  have a product fast, cheap or good.....pick two.

Last edited by: Vikb on June 1, 2020, 6:17 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2020, 11:32 p.m.

I feel (somewhat) vindicated. I’ve been railing against threaded BB’s in carbon frames for years. That bonded interface for your aluminum threads is just an extra part (incredibly high-stress junction) waiting to fail and ruin your precious frame right after the warranty runs out. Or all the companies now offering really long warranties on their carbon superbikes... holy shit, threaded BB’s are going to get really expensive for you.

I’ll take pressfit every time in a carbon frame. Aluminum frame, I’m happy with threaded, but either way works. Worst case scenario you need a Wheels manufacturing BB to solve creaking in a pressfit.

Sept. 16, 2020, 11:32 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

was talking to the LBS today and buddy told me RF has a new double row bb for the PF90. i think mine is starting to creak already about 6 months in. 

https://www.raceface.ca/products/bb92-double-row-cinch-30mm

this will be the replacement if necessary.

Nice. It's about time! I was using e13 BB92 for my RF cranks for the past year and a half because they moved to double row a while ago. Been pretty bomber (way better than the original RF BB I had)

https://www.ethirteen.com/collections/all-cranks/products/press-fit-bottom-brackets 

Sept. 17, 2020, 9:51 p.m.

Threaded is still my goto, after having 3 BB92 carbon Norco mtbs. Partly why I bought the new scout, threaded BB.

Sept. 18, 2020, 7:12 a.m.

Posted by: JVP

I feel (somewhat) vindicated. I’ve been railing against threaded BB’s in carbon frames for years. That bonded interface for your aluminum threads is just an extra part (incredibly high-stress junction) waiting to fail and ruin your precious frame right after the warranty runs out. Or all the companies now offering really long warranties on their carbon superbikes... holy shit, threaded BB’s are going to get really expensive for you.

I’ll take pressfit every time in a carbon frame. Aluminum frame, I’m happy with threaded, but either way works. Worst case scenario you need a Wheels manufacturing BB to solve creaking in a pressfit.

Isn't the take-away from this video that you should only take a Pressfit frame if you know that the tolerances and QC are good? And that usually means no north-american frames. Threaded BBs are theoretically worse, but work better than PF in the average frame.

Sept. 18, 2020, 12:34 p.m.

Actually I think a lot of threaded bbs are out too. I’ve had bikes with threaded bbs where I’d get a few months before there were creaking issues and the bb would go maybe a season. Yet other bikes where The cheap threaded bbs would go and go. I can’t complain about my press for Giant road bike or press fit Trek mountain bike.