grrr stupid drop off triples!!!!!!!!

July 4, 2005, 9:13 p.m.

ok i have an 05 drop off triple on my vps atomic and it is giving me troubles…
when i first got it it felt nice on the trails but kept bottoming out all the time…
i went and got a shock pump and put some air in it and it was way too stiff on the trails and it was still bottoming out on stuff and its starting to hurt my wrists….
i dont want to put and more air in it because it will lock out on the trails but then again i dont want to bottom out… by the way this thing bottoms out more than my old z3.5s on my old hardtail….
right now i have it stiff and it still bottoms out off andthing more than 3 feet….
7 inches of dravel bottoming out off somthing 3 feet… now that messed up.

if anyone has any suggestions that would be great…..

Im Just A Guy Stoaked On Riding:canada:

July 4, 2005, 9:22 p.m.

I have the same fork (for sale). I run ZERO pressure in the left side to make it more sensitive. I run around 70 psi in the right side. Now im going to take a pretty good stab at the problem and either say you havent broken the seals in yet (11 hours of riding) and or you have not put more/heavier oil into your fork. Put some more and heavier weight oil in and youll be rocking.

July 4, 2005, 9:23 p.m.

heaver springs? Or is it pure air? How much do you weigh?

July 4, 2005, 9:33 p.m.

i weight about 140… i think one sides air and one sides spring im not sure…

July 4, 2005, 9:44 p.m.

As far as I know the air assist is only an small bump (beginning stroke) compression adjustment. Cranking it up will help some, but that's why your wrists are hurting.

What you really want to do is increase endstroke compression (bottom-out resistance).

Two options there:

1. Increase oil height. Add 5cc's (ml's) oil to eash leg until incrementally until youi aren't bottoming. Too much will limit your travel so be careful.

2. Heavier spring, though at 140lbs you shouldn't need them. Marzocchi ALWAYS sends their forks low in oil, probably to cut shipping costs.

Oh, and as for heavier oil, increasing oil weight will only effect rebound.

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

July 4, 2005, 10:10 p.m.

i would suggest also going heavier, the rebound is damping is virtual non existant unless you go to heavier oil. And all this end stroke adjustments and blag blag, its the lowest model marz makes, its got air caps and thats it.

July 4, 2005, 11 p.m.

i would suggest also going heavier, the rebound is damping is virtual non existant unless you go to heavier oil. And all this end stroke adjustments and blag blag, its the lowest model marz makes, its got air caps and thats it.

Sure, I've never ridden the DOT. Bump up the oil weight if the rebound is too fast.

Dante, it may be a lower-end model, but the end and beggining stroke can still be adjusted, just not externally. I was just trying to break it down for him so he knew what he was tuning by adjusting oil height and the like.

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

July 4, 2005, 11:14 p.m.

i know what you were doing, it was helpfull. But people got to know what they are buying, the fork is not going to feel amazing no matter how much oil or what wieght you put in it..

July 5, 2005, 12:47 a.m.

true it is one of there lower end products but to top up the oil should i take it to a shop or is it easy enough to do myself?

July 5, 2005, 12:48 a.m.

yea true it is a crappy model but if i wanted to top up the oil should i go to a shop or is it easy enough to do myself?

July 5, 2005, 12:52 a.m.

its easy to do on your own, but i suggest taking it to a shop and watch them do it…that way you can do it next time.

July 5, 2005, 1:49 a.m.

Marzocchi is notorious for shipping forks with oil levels that are too low. Make sure the oil level is correct. If it is low, add oil until the correct amount is in the fork (250ml in each leg). Try that out. If it still doesn't ramp up well enough, add another 10ml to 15ml. If it's still doesn't ramp up enough, you'll need to go with heavier springs.

Don't increase the air pressure too much - it's to set the sag (preload). Marzocchi recommends 25% sag for the Dropoff Triple. 5psi to 15psi of preload in the left leg, 30psi to 65psi positive air pressure in the right leg.

I only put 10lbs max in both sides, which let's the fork retain some degree of plushness in the travel, and up the oil height.

Here's the manual: http://www.marzocchi.com/system/8370/2005-taiwan-en.pdf

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 5, 2005, 1:07 p.m.

thanks i put the recommended air settings in both the legs and it feels nice and plush but its stull bottoming out of anything over 2 feet.
i think im gonna go down to john henrys and get them to top up my oil:agree:

i homp thats all it needs:stupid:

July 5, 2005, 1:47 p.m.

Topping up the oil, or going a bit higher, is a 5 minute job at most. Definitely get it done as it makes a noticeable difference (if the oil level is low).

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 6, 2005, 9:58 p.m.

yea i got then to top up mu oil and its better but i haven really got to go off anything over 5 feet to see is it really made a differnce