grips to prevent handburn?

July 12, 2007, 1:32 p.m.

… the bontragers seem a little too skinny next to the ourys.

They are not. The Big Earl are consistently larger as the entire grip diameter is the size of the ODI lock-on clamp. The blocks on the Ourys are only that.

Had a chance to try the Big Earl grips when I was riding a Trek Session 77 and was really impressed. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find 'grip only' packs. I've only seen them sold as grip and hardware.

Des

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

July 12, 2007, 6:18 p.m.

I find the ourys work well. My hands are fine with them as long as I wear gloves.

July 12, 2007, 6:50 p.m.

Go out and get a job in construction. After a couple months, your grips will feel
like a soft fluffy pillow.

Can't say I've ever had "handburn". I've got forearm pump fro riding Goats Gully
over and over (not to self: Take a easy trail like aline or DM in bewteen GG runs).

That said, I use the odi's that airsupply showed, so maybe it's the grips?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 12, 2007, 7:55 p.m.

a good place to do these is when yer driving and stuck in traffic

lock-ons of some type are definatley the only way to go

I only get stuck in traffic about once a year at most being on the island. Im pretty partial to lock ons too, but looks like I don't have a choice for these. I found putting them on with an air compressor works awesome.

Maybe I'll bring my old ones as backup incase these get all squirmy.

July 12, 2007, 10:27 p.m.

the grips are bontragers best product, they are awesome. da bomb diggaty you might say.

- bike sexual

July 13, 2007, 9:47 a.m.

I only get stuck in traffic about once a year at most being on the island. Im pretty partial to lock ons too, but looks like I don't have a choice for these. I found putting them on with an air compressor works awesome.

Maybe I'll bring my old ones as backup incase these get all squirmy.

Well then whenever you are doing something mindless and have one hand empty you could strengthen your grip.

Perhaps while you are masturbating ? And the great thing is when you switch to strengthen the other hand … it will feel like somebody else

July 17, 2007, 6:42 p.m.

Go out and get a job in construction. After a couple months, your grips will feel
like a soft fluffy pillow.

Can't say I've ever had "handburn". I've got forearm pump fro riding Goats Gully
over and over (not to self: Take a easy trail like aline or DM in bewteen GG runs).

That said, I use the odi's that airsupply showed, so maybe it's the grips?

Actually I've been working in construction nearly 4 years. I think it has less to do with my grip'ing strength, and more to do with the shock from all the braking bumps/rough terrain.

I've never had this happen riding at all, but after this past weekend my hands actually lose feeling at times too. Its probably time to check with a doc.

July 17, 2007, 6:47 p.m.

And the great thing is when you switch to strengthen the other hand … it will feel like somebody else

:damn: you mean "it will feel like a different women" right?

04 RMX Team with05 Boxxer WCs …..say hi

stop repn me…i dont deserve it, its true, im a phoney…a big phat phoney!
so what….big woop….wanna fight about it?!

I like to race………does that make me a racist ? :banned:

July 17, 2007, 7:41 p.m.

deffiinatly the odi rogue lock-on are my prefferance, bigger diameter equils less burn, gloves also help a bit, but not much

July 17, 2007, 8:11 p.m.

:damn: you mean "it will feel like a different women" right?

uh … whatever blows yer dress up dude

July 17, 2007, 8:22 p.m.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find 'grip only' packs. I've only seen them sold as grip and hardware.
Des

yup, you're right, i looked into them a little bit more and i saw that they are the same size as the clamps. let me know if you find any as grip only, i kind of want to try them. the sunline grips look nice too though.

July 17, 2007, 9:38 p.m.

… let me know if you find any as grip only, i kind of want to try them.

I have been informed that Trek/Bontrager is now shipping the Earls in grip only packs… and they are the Earl grips, not the Big Earls as I said before.

Des

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

July 18, 2007, 12:13 a.m.

Actually I've been working in construction nearly 4 years. I think it has less to do with my grip'ing strength, and more to do with the shock from all the braking bumps/rough terrain.

I've never had this happen riding at all, but after this past weekend my hands actually lose feeling at times too. Its probably time to check with a doc.

I was just giving you some shit…

I'd say try bigger grips…

Or maybe try and adjust your brake levers up or down. I've had mine to far up
and that made my wrist bend back putting more pressure on your carpel
tunnel nerves. If your hands are getting numb, might be that.

Maybe even your handle bars might be rotated too far one way or another?
If you can swing a hammer all day and not get numb there, then a bike ride
shouldn't be affecting you.

I'd say screw with the ergonomics of your cockpit. (bet you never thought
someone would ever tell you that… huh?)

Worth a try?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 18, 2007, 8:13 a.m.

ODI ruffian lock-ons and TLD gloves.

You may also just need to work on your flow. Some guys, oddly enough stronger guys, tend to try and muscle the bike all the time. Work on riding with a looser grip and letting the rest of your body (and the bike) absorb some of the vibration. As strange as it sounds, you may be using your arms too much? It sounds odd, but maybe someone else can explain it better.

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.

July 18, 2007, 10:50 a.m.

Lose feeling?? Not good at all… maybe look into a pair of Specialized gloves. I believe they have some special technology designed to avoid problems like yours; I'm not entirely sure, but it is worth taking a look at.

22 Pride