Grips

Dec. 11, 2018, 10:16 a.m.

Does anyone know of an LBS stocking the ESI silicone grips? NV or east of Boundary?

Dec. 11, 2018, 10:54 a.m.

The more I ride with the Diety Knuckledusters the most I like 'em. I would also love to try the ODI Elite Pro and the DMR Death Grip.

Dec. 11, 2018, 11:07 a.m.

I've struggled finding the right grips since I broke my thumb last year and then sprained my other thumb this year. My Range came with Race Face Love Handles which didn't have nearly enough padding for my liking. Then I tried some old Specialized single clamp waffle grips which were better, but still not padded enough. Then I went all out and tried some ODI Rogue's (ok, so Oury grips would probably be 'all out'). They were comfortable, but felt like I was trying to palm a basketball. Finally, I've settled on Deity Knucklebusters. A bit thick for my hand size, but a nice mix of cushion and size. The only way they could be better is if they removed all the padding from the finger side because it adds unnecessary thickness.

Dec. 11, 2018, 12:46 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

The more I ride with the Diety Knuckledusters the most I like 'em. I would also love to try the ODI Elite Pro and the DMR Death Grip.

Those'll be the next two grips I try too. Or ODI Flow? (Same grip, but padding only on one side).

ESIs feel great, but if you're a hacker and put it down often it becomes an expensive habit. After I weaned myself off of ESIs, I went Race Face Half Nelson for a couple rounds. Very nice feel and padded, but bare hands wet were slippery.

I'm using Macaskills now. Somewhat similar to my previous 50 pairs of now dead Ruffians, but softer . Work well enough. Bought them because yellow.

Dec. 22, 2018, 9:10 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

Does anyone know of an LBS stocking the ESI silicone grips? NV or east of Boundary?

http://odigrips.com/store/mtb/mtb-products/f-1-vapor-mtb-ply-grips

I have ran ESI and another brand similar material , switched to these and love them. They don,t dry out over time and are more durable .

March 12, 2019, 5:31 p.m.

Well it's official. They're mine. 38mm.

Kyle Strait Grips

Last edited by: craw on March 12, 2019, 5:32 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 12, 2019, 8:09 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Kyle Strait Grips

Now we’re talking. I have this theory of small diameter grips. Our first cool mountain bike grips were Oakley BMX grips. O wings had this little wing on the outside and I forget what the other was called but it had an inner and outer made from different unobtanium. But BMX is or was a kids sport. So small grips. But as riders got older they retained the small grips because they were used to that size. So I think maybe we all have been hoodwinked into using kids grips. 

I don’t have large hands but I have come to much prefer fat grips. The small ones I found pounded into my palms. It’s not a matter of padding but diameter I think.

I tried to find out what motocross bikes use but I can’t find outer diameter. Just inner because there are two bar sizes. Are moto grips bigger around?

Last edited by: andy-eunson on March 12, 2019, 8:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 12, 2019, 9:17 p.m.

I haven't yet had grips that seemed big enough so we will see how these do. They're aren't super compressive. They're pretty thin and grippy but the sleeve is super firm.

https://www.thesensus.com/shopgrips/meatypaw

March 13, 2019, 7:50 a.m.

https://ca.evil-bikes.com/products/palmela-handerson-grip-megalodon-blue

March 13, 2019, 4:28 p.m.

Kyle Strait Grips

I just saw the vid on PB. Quite funny!

Did you get these directly through the Sensus site or somewhere Canadian (more specifically S2S)? I'm definitely interested in getting a pair.

March 13, 2019, 5:41 p.m.

Direct from Sensus.

March 14, 2019, 11:23 a.m.

I look at Olympic Weightlifting bars and the men's 20kg bar is 28mm diameter, those feel great in my hands for lifting (small hands) whereas the cheap bars you find at globo gyms are often 30-31mm diameter because they are cheaper to manufacture to appropriate strength. Always have a harder time holding onto those.

March 14, 2019, 11:26 p.m.

I rather like my new DMR Death grips. Super soft race edition, thin. End caps feel like they have a durable plastic plug under the rubber, not worried about it. 

I prefer them over the very good Macaskills they replaced. Grippier and softer.

I'd like to see a face off of the Deathgrips and ODI Flows. Maybe I'll pick up some Flows and spend 5 seconds testing each...

I have disproportionately large ape hands and prefer thinner grips.

Nov. 15, 2019, 9:13 a.m.

Big grips https://www.bikemag.com/gear-features/versus/versus-grips-gone-wide/

Nov. 19, 2019, 2:47 p.m.

Big grips https://www.bikemag.com/gear-features/versus/versus-grips-gone-wide/

Meaty Paws make my Ourys look like the grips on my kids bike