Grips

Sept. 20, 2018, 5:40 p.m.

Nothing exotic but I like santa Cruz palmdales....

Single clamp, not too firm, not too squishy. Maybe I'm easy to please! Lol

Sept. 20, 2018, 6:11 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Does anyone on this thread know of a grip thicker than 33mm which isn't ESI/Wolftooth? I found those silicone grips to be too soft - despite the large OD they squeeze to absolutely nothing and don't work well when wet. I find it little surprising that I haven't been able to find just one company offering a thicker grip.

Ever tried the ODI Rogue's? They're what run on the AM and DH bikes

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5038-826/Rogue-Lock-On-Grips?gclid=CjwKCAjwio3dBRAqEiwAHWsNVbMDem6yW6HXNiTNF_VwToPvLThpz29auAUWI2BYbzDVRUb7Df3bHBoCwwMQAvD_BwE

Sept. 20, 2018, 9:15 p.m.

I’m a TLD ODI guy.

ChroMags first carbon bars caused my wrists wicked grief, but their next and Renthal’s didnt.

Sept. 21, 2018, 7:56 a.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Posted by: craw

Does anyone on this thread know of a grip thicker than 33mm which isn't ESI/Wolftooth? I found those silicone grips to be too soft - despite the large OD they squeeze to absolutely nothing and don't work well when wet. I find it little surprising that I haven't been able to find just one company offering a thicker grip.

check PB or Vital I just seen a video on some bigger OD grips that where a single lock-on

VitalMTBLink (around 1:30)

Looks like it might be a new Kyle Strait signature grip. It's not on the Sensus site yet but the fact there is a display at Interbike means it's probably in the works. He's been known to run grips over grips.

Last edited by: craw on Sept. 21, 2018, 10:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 21, 2018, 10:35 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I’m a TLD ODI guy.

ChroMags first carbon bars caused my wrists wicked grief, but their next and Renthal’s didnt.

I'd buy TLD ODI slip-ons if they made them.  Looks like there is a moto version now. Or a Renthal Traction slip-on.

Sept. 25, 2018, 3:52 p.m.

https://www.sq-lab.com/shop/en/Grips/MTB/SQlab-bike-grip-711-Tech-Trail.html#tab_attributes

These are available in 35mm , thinking of trying a pair. They have 3 sizes  , might try the smallest pair , my current grips are thin and I like the size.

Oct. 4, 2018, 10:47 a.m.

It's official. Sensus is making a 35.5mm grip for Kyle Strait that will be out in the next few months. Amen.

Oct. 4, 2018, 7:40 p.m.

So I’ve been using the Revgrips for a couple weeks now. I’ve not been riding very hard due to a dislocated finger and the fear that if i crash on it and damage myself again it will be embarrassing to tell the doctor. Anyway, I didn’t notice any real difference using the grips. They feel the same as any other normal lockon.  I thought maybe it is one of those things where the difference is noted when you go back to the standard stuff. Nope. Rode my other bike today and I didn’t notice anything. Would not buy again. My elbows still hurt a bit but partly from changing the summer tires to snows last week.

Oct. 5, 2018, 11:21 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

So I’ve been using the Revgrips for a couple weeks now. I’ve not been riding very hard due to a dislocated finger and the fear that if i crash on it and damage myself again it will be embarrassing to tell the doctor. Anyway, I didn’t notice any real difference using the grips. They feel the same as any other normal lockon.  I thought maybe it is one of those things where the difference is noted when you go back to the standard stuff. Nope. Rode my other bike today and I didn’t notice anything. Would not buy again. My elbows still hurt a bit but partly from changing the summer tires to snows last week.

try ductaping the dislocated finger to an adjacent finger

Oct. 5, 2018, 5:38 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i thought the same until i started riding hard. IME, they are nice enough grips as it is, but the design features (floating grip) are only really noticeable on seriously rough trails. i have a pair of spank spike (ugh, hate the name) vibrocore bars and same thing. i notice the benefit only on fast rough trails, which makes sense.

I’m not taking them off yet. They are otherwise a nice grip. The finger is not bothering me at all riding but you may be right about rougher trails. They do feel a little different but it’s subtle.

Oct. 7, 2018, 2:31 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

When I snapped a ligament in my thumb the repair was vulnerable for about a year. I had the hand clinic make me a brace designed to protect it when riding, luckily I never put it to the test but it provided enough peace of mind that I was able to keep riding. Only cost about $20 and they fit it during one of my normal rehab sessions.

Oct. 17, 2018, 1:02 a.m.

I like the ODI Rogue lock-on grips especially for trail riding.

Oct. 17, 2018, 8:24 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

. I had the hand clinic make me a brace designed to protect it when riding,

Was it the black melty-plastic thing?  Did the restricted movement while wearing it cause less grip strength?

Nov. 17, 2018, 9:23 a.m.

Saw these on PB: https://www.redmonkeysports.com/collections/klampz-lock-ons/products/klampz-lock-on-silicone-grips?cmpid=PBgiftguide18&variant=11405947732083  

(35mm lockon silicone)

Nov. 17, 2018, 10:36 a.m.

Posted by: Timv

Posted by: tashi

. I had the hand clinic make me a brace designed to protect it when riding,

Was it the black melty-plastic thing?  Did the restricted movement while wearing it cause less grip strength?

It was a tan, perforated melty-plastic thing with some velcro straps to hold it to my hand.  It didn't restrict my movement in a negative way, just kept my thumb in a grip position.  The intent was to prevent my thumb from folding back again if pushed during the recovery period.  I had less grip strength (for about two years or so I opened a beer with my left hand) due to my torn and repaired ligament, commonly called "skiiers thumb".  Nose dived off a rock drop on A-line warming up for the first Air DH back in 2001...