Grips

Sept. 15, 2018, 1:03 p.m.

Will brass snare wire work to tie push on grips to a bar?

Sept. 15, 2018, 4:24 p.m.

I ran the Ergon GS2's and they wore out in a season....expensive grip to wear out that quick, but they were comfy. I am now running Diety Knuckledusters and like 'em enough. I have been having some wrist, hand pain the last few years...I may try the ESI's next.

Sept. 15, 2018, 6:07 p.m.

Posted by: PUNKY

Someone needs to buy the suspension grips that were reviewed on PB and report back.

I’ll let you know soon. I’ve had on and off tennis elbow all summer plus hands going numb. The numbness issue has been solved by a higher rise bar. I was leaning too hard into the grips and the rise has allowed a more neutral balance. I think the elbow issue came as a result of a crash in March where I hurt my left thumb. Altered how I could grip stuff and spring brush clearing cause further problems which I thought were resolved. So I’m gonna try Revgrips and see. Expensive but cheaper than a couple physio visits.

Sept. 15, 2018, 7:23 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Someone needs to buy the suspension grips that were reviewed on PB and report back.

I’ll let you know soon. I’ve had on and off tennis elbow all summer plus hands going numb. The numbness issue has been solved by a higher rise bar. I was leaning too hard into the grips and the rise has allowed a more neutral balance. I think the elbow issue came as a result of a crash in March where I hurt my left thumb. Altered how I could grip stuff and spring brush clearing cause further problems which I thought were resolved. So I’m gonna try Revgrips and see. Expensive but cheaper than a couple physio visits.

Stretch and strengthen your shoulders. I have beat up hands and shoulders from riding and work related. I have found keeping my shoulders stretched and doing exercises  has helped reduce numbness. I still get it on the climbs , but I can recovery from it faster.

For grips ODI ,I switched to these a few months back with carbon bars. They do rotate a bit but , no where near like the pre lock-on days.

http://odigrips.com/store/mtb/mtb-products/f-1-vapor-mtb-ply-grips

Sept. 15, 2018, 7:32 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

ESI silicone are what I prefer , since switching to them I get less numb hand on long climbs and less hand cramps on the down . The downside is they do throttle grip , but after riding them all winter I will continue to use this type of grips.

I second this. Been using these for three years. You need an air compresser to put them on but then they shouldn't do throttle grip - at least until they are worn. 

In my experience tired hands are due to grips too big, not too small. I use the racers edge (thinnest) and it gives twice as much vibration absorption as any lock on. I never get tired hands or forearms either.

The only real down side is they tear easy but I don't crash much and I put aluminium bar end plugs which protect them for the most part.

Sept. 15, 2018, 8:30 p.m.

A friend has been using them all year and loving them.

Sept. 16, 2018, 9:54 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

In my experience tired hands are due to grips too big, not too small. I use the racers edge (thinnest) and it gives twice as much vibration absorption as any lock on. I never get tired hands or forearms either.

I agree^^ having to actively grip the bars at all times is tiring and possibly could give you an injury so I always go with a small diameter grip

It wasn't from mtn biking but ww paddling I had tennis elbow 5 times over about 20-25years but I'm injury free the last 10 years since i switched to a paddle with a smaller shaft

But everyone's hands are different, larger diameter grips might be fine for long fingers/big hands

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 17, 2018, 12:13 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Sept. 16, 2018, 5:36 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Stretch and strengthen your shoulders. I have beat up hands and shoulders from riding and work related. I have found keeping my shoulders stretched and doing exercises  has helped reduce numbness. I still get it on the climbs , but I can recovery from it faster.

For grips ODI ,I switched to these a few months back with carbon bars. They do rotate a bit but , no where near like the pre lock-on days.

http://odigrips.com/store/mtb/mtb-products/f-1-vapor-mtb-ply-grips

Oh yeah. I do go to the gym a couple times a week to work on old guy issues. I have a trainer who is also a physio and she is giving me lots of shoulder stuff but lots of issues from the neck end up in the shoulder too. Thing is riding, the elbows only hurt if I have to do some abrupt crank on the bars or bunny hop. Or carry the bike up something. Usually it’s after the ride and it does go away after some rest. But yeah it’s important to look at various aspects.

Sept. 17, 2018, 8:38 a.m.

I have numbness and tingling in my hands as well, and my physio has traced it to some pinching in the neck. It took a while to figure out as I always assumed it was from abusing my hands and arms riding and working.  It’s now a good warning sign that I’ve worked over my neck somehow. 

Ergons help, as do the Specialized BG and PRO grid with similar shape. Ergons died early on me though as they cracked from crashing - the integrated end cap isn’t as good an idea as I would have thought. The PRO has a really good shape but I’d choose the 30mm over the 32mm.

Sept. 19, 2018, 10:11 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I have numbness and tingling in my hands as well, and my physio has traced it to some pinching in the neck. It took a while to figure out as I always assumed it was from abusing my hands and arms riding and working.  It’s now a good warning sign that I’ve worked over my neck somehow. 

Ergons help, as do the Specialized BG and PRO grid with similar shape. Ergons died early on me though as they cracked from crashing - the integrated end cap isn’t as good an idea as I would have thought. The PRO has a really good shape but I’d choose the 30mm over the 32mm.

Good point. The ulner nerve is usually the one pinched against the grip and it innervates the pinky finger and the half of the next finger next to it. If your numbness is in those two fingers only, it is probably a grip issue. If you have numbness in other fingers or in the palm or back of the hand the nerve problem is probably coming from higher up like in the brachial plexus or a nerve root (neck). Then you have to look at whole bike setup and body position.

Sept. 20, 2018, 8:19 a.m.

Does anyone on this thread know of a grip thicker than 33mm which isn't ESI/Wolftooth? I found those silicone grips to be too soft - despite the large OD they squeeze to absolutely nothing and don't work well when wet. I find it little surprising that I haven't been able to find just one company offering a thicker grip.

Sept. 20, 2018, 12:20 p.m.

^Oury slip on grip with a layer of tape built up on the bar?  Silicon tape would allow for the grips to slide on maybe. 

Installed Renthal kevlar slip on with brass wire yesterday.  Seems to be okay for now.  Would love to see a traction grip slip on from Renthal.

Sept. 20, 2018, 1:56 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

revgrips large are 34mm

At that price I'd need to experience them first hand.

Sept. 20, 2018, 4:26 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Does anyone on this thread know of a grip thicker than 33mm which isn't ESI/Wolftooth? I found those silicone grips to be too soft - despite the large OD they squeeze to absolutely nothing and don't work well when wet. I find it little surprising that I haven't been able to find just one company offering a thicker grip.

check PB or Vital I just seen a video on some bigger OD grips that where a single lock-on

Sept. 20, 2018, 5:31 p.m.

you could try a single  layer double sided tape on the bar, the stuff is pretty thin, the big question is how do you get the grip over the tape, maybe with compressed air  ?

I  don't have a compressor but i'm pretty sure I did it

can't remember the specifics