Gravel Bike Thread

July 23, 2021, 5:56 a.m.

Posted by: gdharries

Great backstory and bike. The green of that versatile Surly is also magnificent.

thanks, building it in the middle of a pandemic was kinda fun, like a three week long Easter egg hunt. I ordered spokes to build the wheels from Germany of all places. Highlights were finding a "factory second" brand new in the box (still can't find the flaw) Chromag seatpost on eBay for $7. Lowlights was paying astronomical shipping and duty on some parts from Universal cycles in the states. I figure one day I'll probably buy a 100mm suspension fork for this bike to ride more XC and light trail when life gives me a little more time for such things. All in all I'm really impressed with the versatility of the frame so far

Edited to add: whoa, as someone who has only made a post or two on the "new" forum in the last 4 years or so, there's some funky stuff going on.  How the heck do you quote a post properly?

Last edited by: t_w on July 23, 2021, 5:58 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 23, 2021, 8:31 a.m.

Posted by: t_w

Posted by: gdharries

Great backstory and bike. The green of that versatile Surly is also magnificent.

thanks, building it in the middle of a pandemic was kinda fun, like a three week long Easter egg hunt. I ordered spokes to build the wheels from Germany of all places. Highlights were finding a "factory second" brand new in the box (still can't find the flaw) Chromag seatpost on eBay for $7. Lowlights was paying astronomical shipping and duty on some parts from Universal cycles in the states. I figure one day I'll probably buy a 100mm suspension fork for this bike to ride more XC and light trail when life gives me a little more time for such things. All in all I'm really impressed with the versatility of the frame so far

Edited to add: whoa, as someone who has only made a post or two on the "new" forum in the last 4 years or so, there's some funky stuff going on. How the heck do you quote a post properly?

Just hit the 'Quote' button on the bottom right, and then begin typing where the cursor shows up below the quoted text.

Last edited by: shoreboy on July 23, 2021, 8:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 10, 2021, 10:28 a.m.

Anyone here ever ridden to the Seymour dam? Nice ride? Worth it? That would be one of the longer gravel rides my wife has been on and I don't want to drag her up some punishing unrewarding path.

Aug. 10, 2021, 10:36 a.m.

Go up the pave and come down the gravel.

Aug. 10, 2021, 10:38 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Go up the pave and come down the gravel.

You would think I would have thought of that.....sage advice. Thanks

Aug. 10, 2021, 7:29 p.m.

Great ride out to the Seymour dam today with my wife. She loved the whole route. Went along the paved path up and came back on fisherman's. The two Muskoka chairs at the top of fisherman's were the greatest surprise. 

Here are our two bikes. A surley karate monkey with a hope single speed hub and a custom 7 speed cassette. Hers is a 2021 kona rove deluxe.

Aug. 11, 2021, 2:31 a.m.

Picked up a Shaka Pack Burrito bag the other day if anyone cares. Nice made in BC product

Aug. 11, 2021, 10:50 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Great ride out to the Seymour dam today with my wife. She loved the whole route. Went along the paved path up and came back on fisherman's. The two Muskoka chairs at the top of fisherman's were the greatest surprise. 

Here are our two bikes. A surley karate monkey with a hope single speed hub and a custom 7 speed cassette. Hers is a 2021 kona rove deluxe.

That's a great spot.  I've told a few people about it, and fortunately it's just a bit too far for the IG crowd.

Now delete this post and never talk of it again  ;)

Aug. 11, 2021, 11:09 a.m.

i know that spot! enroute to a favorite swimming hole.

Aug. 11, 2021, 11:24 a.m.

That’s a great little ride, especially in the evening. For whatever reason I go gravel first and back on the road. Maybe from doing it at the end of a long ride, I find it more casual on the ride out on the pavement . Love the section through the old growth, and nice new cedar bridges!

Aug. 11, 2021, 7:34 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Picked up a Shaka Pack Burrito bag the other day if anyone cares. Nice made in BC product

Sweet. Got one of them made earlier this year. Pretty cool to have full custom plus they are made in Kelowna. Well built and it’s become a permanent fixture on my bike

Just noticed the thumbnail for bar bags is my bike! 

https://shakapacks.ca/collections

Aug. 11, 2021, 9:05 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

That's a great spot.  I've told a few people about it, and fortunately it's just a bit too far for the IG crowd.

Now delete this post and never talk of it again  ;)

Not sure who the "IG crowd" are but could it have been the 60 year olds on e-bikes I have grown to think of as my "domestiques" that were racing me to the Dam? If so, the IG crowd can now make it there due to advances in battery technology :(

Aug. 12, 2021, 1:21 p.m.

Not sure who the "IG crowd" are but could it have been the 60 year olds on e-bikes I have grown to think of as my "domestiques" that were racing me to the Dam? If so, the IG crowd can now make it there due to advances in battery technology :(

IG = InstaGram. I see a ton of older folks on e-bikes on that route, I'm all for that. They don't venture down the dangerous gravel path all that often though.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Aug. 12, 2021, 1:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 12, 2021, 9:26 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Sweet. Got one of them made earlier this year. Pretty cool to have full custom plus they are made in Kelowna. Well built and it’s become a permanent fixture on my bike

Just noticed the thumbnail for bar bags is my bike! 

https://shakapacks.ca/collections

Nice.  Thinking of getting a frame bag made up for the front of my G16 now. Pretty cool options they offer.

Aug. 13, 2021, 8:34 p.m.

I’d check them out. Everyone one is hand made in kelowna and they will customise to whatever you want from shape and size to colour and even zips.