Gravel Bike Thread

July 15, 2021, 9:10 a.m.

Agree, a great all surface bike. I have the Advanced 0 with GRX 810. A very good value that needs no upgrading (friggin light too).  I was lucky to snag one when they first came into stock last fall. 

For those that ride mostly tarmac, do consider a 2x. It’s not fashionable, but I personally think that it’s more versatile. The maxxis velocita tires are good for what I do 70-80% road, and still can make up steep dirt if you need (anyone familiar with the stone climb heading westbound from the bike park on BBY Mtn—stuff like that-totally manageable).  I do have specialized pathfinder pros for longer crappier surfaces.

July 15, 2021, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: awesterner

Agree, a great all surface bike. I have the Advanced 0 with GRX 810. A very good value that needs no upgrading (friggin light too). I was lucky to snag one when they first came into stock last fall.

For those that ride mostly tarmac, do consider a 2x. It’s not fashionable, but I personally think that it’s more versatile. The maxxis velocita tires are good for what I do 70-80% road, and still can make up steep dirt if you need (anyone familiar with the stone climb heading westbound from the bike park on BBY Mtn—stuff like that-totally manageable). I do have specialized pathfinder pros for longer crappier surfaces.

I have 1X on my CX bike. Not a fan. Next gravel bike will be GRX 2X (Di2 pref) for sure.

I think it would be fine for a lost lake ripper, but overall I find too many times where I'm just between the right ratio for the cadence/speed/grade and having 2X would help give more graduated steps. I also end up compromised on top and bottom ends, so there's at least one climb I do where I just give up and walk rather than blow my knees out, and on the flip, it's not hard to find a road descent and basically be spun out.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on July 15, 2021, 9:52 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
July 15, 2021, 10:17 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

I have 1X on my CX bike. Not a fan. Next gravel bike will be GRX 2X (Di2 pref) for sure.

I think it would be fine for a lost lake ripper, but overall I find too many times where I'm just between the right ratio for the cadence/speed/grade and having 2X would help give more graduated steps. I also end up compromised on top and bottom ends, so there's at least one climb I do where I just give up and walk rather than blow my knees out, and on the flip, it's not hard to find a road descent and basically be spun out.

Ya my Gravel bike has x2 up front. I wouldn't go 1x not enough range as you have stated. My old XC 29er was 1x, did a race that dropped down into Kelowna off the KVR and lost about 10 spots a couple KMs from the finish.  I spun out when I really tried to hammer on the road. That sucked

Last edited by: bux-bux on July 15, 2021, 10:19 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 15, 2021, 11:20 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Very nice, Heinous. Extra points for the comfy seatpost.

Wow. That's really amazing. Moots and Eriksen are by far my favourite Ti builders.

July 15, 2021, 1:41 p.m.

My wife and I just bought our first gravel bikes. Never thought I would buy one but with all the logging roads in the interior, I just wanted to get out and explore.

I searched globally and found an XXS Scott at Obsession for my wife, plus a Specialized Diverge Comp at Comor. I've already replaced the 42cm bar with a 46cm one. Haven't gone tubeless yet but will soon.

My first ride in two years was an exhausting 46kms in 35 degree heat. Hopefully this will help me shed some old age lard!

Last edited by: Lowcard on July 15, 2021, 1:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2021, 3:30 p.m.

Nice.

I have some cushcore gravel inserts for my new build. If they. Provide the same transformation of comfort as on my hardtail I’ll be very happy. I’ll just run rear to start. So much gravel comfort is about isolating buzz (assuming g your position is good) - the nature of being seated for long periods with no suspension makes all the high frequency stuff the worst.

As has been said above, 2x just makes so much sense, and a well set up drivetrain will rarely drop a chain. The new clutch style 2x set ups are even more reliable.

July 15, 2021, 4:51 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

Nice.

I have some cushcore gravel inserts for my new build. If they. Provide the same transformation of comfort as on my hardtail I’ll be very happy. I’ll just run rear to start. So much gravel comfort is about isolating buzz (assuming g your position is good) - the nature of being seated for long periods with no suspension makes all the high frequency stuff the worst.

As has been said above, 2x just makes so much sense, and a well set up drivetrain will rarely drop a chain. The new clutch style 2x set ups are even more reliable.

I just got the Octamousse ones for my gravel bike. They seem like a good solution.

July 15, 2021, 8:19 p.m.

Do they do much for ride quality, or just rim / tyre protection?

July 15, 2021, 9:37 p.m.

Do they do much for ride quality, or just rim / tyre protection?

I'm running cc xc strips with 42cc tires. They do dampen and give sidewall support allowing my 220lb+ body to run around 25psi on trails. The grip is fantastic. I like a little more air pressure when riding on roads though so not sure where the sweet spot will be in terms of air pressure. I have nailed a root or two and with that low of pressure and that small a volume, was definitely happy to have an insert. I also had an issue with my sealant and had the tire slowly go flat one ride, which allowed me to experiment all the way down  to flat on the front. You could ride out on a flat for sure if you had to. 

I wouldn't say they blew my mind as much as cc pro did on my mtb but I don't think I am going back either.

July 15, 2021, 11:30 p.m.

The XC, not the gravel strip? The gravel strip is a bit more reminiscent of the pro in shape.

July 16, 2021, 8:18 a.m.

The XC, not the gravel strip? The gravel strip is a bit more reminiscent of the pro in shape.

It's the xc version. I had them kicking around and my rims are fairly wide inner width so I gave it a go.

July 16, 2021, 9:29 a.m.

I think I may grab some 50/36 rings, for my riding around the city. The only niggle I have with the 48/34 is I cross chain a lot on normal hills around here, at least when I’m in a hurry. When on dirt the 48 is fine, and we’ll you can crawl in the 34/34 if you need too :)

July 16, 2021, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: flowrider

Love riding gravel bikes. Started riding them because I didn't want to end up in hospital with COVID going on and just love it now. True adventure, one bike, go anywhere rides like when we were kids. Here's my current ride, 2021 Brodie Romax Carbon.

This thing looks FUN @flowrider !  Who makes your front fender?  Is there a rear to go with it?  How wide of 700c tire do they work with?  Thanks!

July 16, 2021, 2:39 p.m.

Nice.

just ride 650b wheels…

July 16, 2021, 2:46 p.m.

Went out with the Landyachtz crew on their Thursday night gravel ride yesterday, fast group on road and off. It was a 60km loop for me to get home, fun ride.