GPS help

Nov. 7, 2012, 11:36 p.m.

Do I need topo maps?

mine comes with Topo's of BC already installed.

But yes when you get a gps, you'll need to get them. They can be had for free pretty easily though.

Nov. 8, 2012, 11:01 a.m.

for anyone comparing the new etrex 10/20/30 to the legend or vista, there is no comparison. These are pretty much the 60csx now. Custom maps on the 20/30, colour screen that is I think better than the 62's and a small enough size that it can mount on your stem without being too much bigger than an edge 705/800.

and maps can be found easily online or share with a friend by just downloading the maps onto an sd card.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 10, 2012, 11:02 a.m.

for anyone comparing the new etrex 10/20/30 to the legend or vista, there is no comparison. These are pretty much the 60csx now. Custom maps on the 20/30, colour screen that is I think better than the 62's and a small enough size that it can mount on your stem without being too much bigger than an edge 705/800.

and maps can be found easily online or share with a friend by just downloading the maps onto an sd card.

SO the etrex series is better than the 60csx then…not clear from your post? But I would still need maps?

how much are the maps downloads?

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Nov. 10, 2012, 11:12 a.m.

http://www.gpscentral.ca

I ordered from here

My friend ordered the same GPS as me (get off my nuts!) from here

http://www.gpscentral.ca

Both coming straight outta Oilberta!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 10, 2012, 4:09 p.m.

The Oregeon 450 is not much more than the Etrex 30, has a slightly bigger display [HTML_REMOVED] touchscreen. Similar features otherwise. The most important feature is the ability to load your own custom maps. This is a must for a backcountry gps. If you really have the $$ go for the Montana 650 which has a even larger display.

The technology is advancing so fast that chances are whatever you buy now will be obselete in 3-4yrrs. So take that into consideration when buying.

Nov. 10, 2012, 5:13 p.m.

If you're planning to use your GPS for a lot of hiking/biking/snowshoeing/etc., and you plan to stay in the Garmin product lines, then some things to consider:

1. with the dense canopy in our area, you need the best antenna and receiver out there. As far as I know, the garmin quad helix antenna is the best they have. The eTrex series does NOT have the quad helix antenna, nor does the Oregon series. Not sure about the Montana series, but I suspect not. The 62 series (and the 60 series it replaced) has the quad helix. This antenna/receiver system is incredible for holding on to satellites in dense forest!

2. Look for WAAS enabled GPS units. Most of the garmins have it. This is a land-based transmitter network that augments the accuracy of your satellite signals.

3. Notice that the Oregon series recommends that they should not be used extensively in wet or cold condition as it affects the touch screen. Kind of like almost every one of my days out!! Not sure if same applies to Montana units.

4. I have the 60Cx and if I ever got another I'd want to add two features that the 60CSx has that the Cx doesn't -[HTML_REMOVED] built-in magnetic compass and barometric altimeter. When I bought I though these were gimmicks. I was wrong. When you stop moving, the unit indicates your last direction of travel, but if you're trying to orient yourself to find North or whatever, you're hosed. Of course, could add a real compass to the mix, but then the altimeter is still key. The elevation on the Cx is by triangulating sat signals and often VERY inaccurate. The baro alt makes a BIG difference in tracking elevations on your tracks.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 30, 2012, 6:02 p.m.

What GPS are people using in their offroad vehicles for getting to the trail head?

I have the hand held Garmin I use on the bike or on my pack but it is a pain to use while driving and it doesn't have road data anyway.

I have the backroads map books but even with that the resolution isn't necessarily fine enough.

From searching the Garmin site for "offroad" it looks like the Numi 550, but as I've never used a vehicle based GPS I'm not sure of what features I really need. (This also looks like a discontinued model.)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27442

What are other people using?

Maybe one of the motorcycle models would be more useful off road?