Gorilla Tape or slit tube - Which Ghetto Tubeless Method?

Oct. 6, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

Gorilla tape ghetto kills it. Just mounted a DHR2 on a flow EX with 1" gorilla tape and a valve I cut out of an old tube. For about $2 compared to a $30 Stan's rim strip which is obscene.

Mounted up nice and straight, aired up with a floor pump. I always had issues with wobbly tires using stan's rim strips. Put it to the test yesterday and the bead is holding great, no burps. Highly recommended.

Aug. 28, 2015, 8:43 p.m.

why start a new thread?

my LB 35mm wide rims have been built up and sealed with stans tape by the wheel builder. after a few tire changes i've noticed the tape peeling up at the edges a bit. didn't think much of it though. the last tire was hard to get on and it isn't holding air well a couple days in. actually soaped it up and no leaks detected anywhere. i suspect very fine spoke hole leakage. on trail today i did notice a couple of bubbles around the valve stem, and still very slowly losing air. anyways, i think they need re taping. juice doesn't seem to be stopping the slow leak.

if i do it myself with gorilla, should i do just 1 layer or go 2? any other must do tips? just under the rim size according to others earlier in thread?

Aug. 28, 2015, 8:53 p.m.

if i do it myself with gorilla, should i do just 1 layer or go 2? any other must do tips? just under the rim size according to others earlier in thread?

Is it hard to get your tire on? If so, go for one. If not, go for two and if it kicks your ass go back to one.

I'm rolling with a single wrap of 25mm stans tape on a new DT570 rim that I was supposed to use two wraps of 29mm tape. I had some sealant seepage around the bead for a day but the suckers have held up after five to ten days of park riding.

Aug. 28, 2015, 9:51 p.m.

why start a new thread?

my LB 35mm wide rims have been built up and sealed with stans tape by the wheel builder. after a few tire changes i've noticed the tape peeling up at the edges a bit. didn't think much of it though. the last tire was hard to get on and it isn't holding air well a couple days in. actually soaped it up and no leaks detected anywhere. i suspect very fine spoke hole leakage. on trail today i did notice a couple of bubbles around the valve stem, and still very slowly losing air. anyways, i think they need re taping. juice doesn't seem to be stopping the slow leak.

One wrap of gorilla tape should be adequate… why add extra weight..

Aug. 28, 2015, 10:20 p.m.

I read through this thread the other day; other options than gorilla black and seems like gorilla clear could even be better
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=926021

Aug. 29, 2015, 8:01 a.m.

that orange brand sealant from MEC sealed fine and the Orange presta valves have removable stems so after seating the beeds with a Beto floor pump its easy to inject the fluid into the stem

TR ready maxxis dhr II on UST rim didn't need any tape or rim strip

edit: the floor pump has always worked, just soap the beeds and run a piece of rope or a cam strap overtop the casing to spread the beeds

Aug. 29, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

Tesa 4289 tape.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Aug. 29, 2015, 3:30 p.m.

Tesa 4289 tape.

Where did you buy this?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 29, 2015, 8:05 p.m.

Tesa 4289 tape.

weird. i'm almost thinking of trying shin pad tape. thick, stretchy, sticky….

Aug. 30, 2015, 10:25 a.m.

Where did you buy this?

I haven't. Currently running UST rims.

I've tried the other methods here though, and they suck. My laboratory instruments don't lie. Gorilla tape weighs about 30lbs- I'm not a weight weenie but a couple of wraps of this stuff is heavier than bands of lead. Split tube looks like total shit and is a pain in the ass to set up.

I've used the Stan's tape though and it was fine. Stan's=Tesa.

Maybe the clear Gorilla tape would work too who knows, socal posers in mtbr link above seemed to like it.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Aug. 30, 2015, 10:56 a.m.

I got a bulk package of Tesa tape from uline.com. While it doesn't stick quite as good as gorilla or stan's tape, it is hard to break or rip. It is also very light. But that said the best combo I have used is Tesa tape in combo with a plastic rim strip like these: http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-037/mec-rim-tape-27.5/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw04qvBRC6vfKG2Pi0_8gBEiQAAJq0vUUMqONE5rkamTbUwTl938xrG6wFdoU3OkgTHsk5X0gaAtHf8P8HAQ

Aug. 30, 2015, 11:41 a.m.

I haven't. Currently running UST rims.

I've tried the other methods here though, and they suck. My laboratory instruments don't lie. Gorilla tape weighs about 30lbs- I'm not a weight weenie but a couple of wraps of this stuff is heavier than bands of lead. Split tube looks like total shit and is a pain in the ass to set up.

I've used the Stan's tape though and it was fine. Stan's=Tesa.

Maybe the clear Gorilla Tape would work too who knows, socal posers in mtbr link above seemed to like it.

I've had success with the black gorilla tape and not concerned with weight. I only go one wrap around with the Gorilla Tape and still have a bitch of a time mounting folding bead tires to Nancy carbon rims. :( Upon installation of the tire is where i have some of the GT peel back.
It appears there is better stuff out there which is evident in the mtbr thread.
:lol: @ mtbr peeps complaining about black GT residue being difficult to remove. The removal instructions are on the box.

I got a bulk package of Tesa tape from uline.com. While it doesn't stick quite as good as gorilla or stan's tape, it is hard to break or rip. It is also very light. But that said the best combo I have used is Tesa tape in combo with a plastic rim strip like these: http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-037/mec-rim-tape-27.5/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw04qvBRC6vfKG2Pi0_8gBEiQAAJq0vUUMqONE5rkamTbUwTl938xrG6wFdoU3OkgTHsk5X0gaAtHf8P8HAQ

Saw some Tesa tape on Amazon but it was $700 :lol:
I take it you are laying Tesa down then covering up with the rim strip?

What ever happened to the Specialized spoke hole plugs?
Im thinking about going to DT 471 rims for my next build. Will allow myself to run dual ply DH tires if I feel the need to.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 30, 2015, 12:10 p.m.

Saw some Tesa tape on Amazon but it was $700 :lol:

Yeah, but we'd get 100 rolls of the stuff!

Aug. 30, 2015, 8:01 p.m.

Gorilla tape is less than ghetto, try to clean that glue of your hoops after usually deciding it sucks. Stans tape is essential for hassle free tubeless set up.

Aug. 30, 2015, 9:45 p.m.

i reckon there will come a day when there are rims without spoke holes, you know, sealed from the start. i'm sure the technology is coming.