Good local shop for spokes?

May 8, 2009, 3:32 p.m.

Are there any good locals shops for ordering spokes in individual quantities, with reasonable prices? I usually order online but thought I'd check locally.

Wheelsmith, DT or Sapim is fine. I am specifically looking for lighter spokes: Revos, XL14 or Race/CX-Ray.

Not Comp/Supercomp or DB15 that shops usually stock.

Thanks.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 8, 2009, 3:38 p.m.

I'm sure the good folks at John Henry could help you out.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

May 8, 2009, 4:15 p.m.

Nothing against JH, as I have bought more than a few closeouts from them. (Was just there yesterday.) But their mark-ups can be wallet-busting.

I'll ask though, and at Cove as well.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 8, 2009, 10:15 p.m.

Different Bikes North Van has a good selection of DT. Competition for sure and Revolution I think. I Just bought some spokes there last week.

May 8, 2009, 10:32 p.m.

Different Bikes North Van has a good selection of DT. Competition for sure and Revolution I think. I Just bought some spokes there last week.

Sweet, I'll drop by and ask about their Revo prices. Still looking for other suggestions, especially stores with Revos or XL14 in stock.

May 9, 2009, 5:45 a.m.

Mighty Riders cuts spokes in house. They might be able to give you a hand.

May 9, 2009, 10:55 a.m.

If you're looking for high-end spokes (Sapim CX-Ray), I kinda doubt many shops will stock them, other than perhaps Mighty or La Bicicletta. And if they need to order them in a specific size, they'll probably wanna sell you the whole box. That's my experience at least.

:canada: :england:

May 10, 2009, 12:30 a.m.

Check PMs.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

May 10, 2009, 3:17 a.m.

Revos should cost you around 1.3-1.5 a spoke

May 10, 2009, 1:51 p.m.

Thanks everyone. Especially Zahgurim for the info about CX-Rays.

May 10, 2009, 5:09 p.m.

After building with the CXRays for a couple wheelsets, I'll go back to Races for my next build.

Cheaper, same weight, and not such a bitch to get initial tension to last over the first couple rides.
(because they're so flexy they bend in the middle instead of bedding in at the head)
If you go with the Rays, be sure to smuck the heads with a punch to help bedding.

May 10, 2009, 10:13 p.m.

After building with the CXRays for a couple wheelsets, I'll go back to Races for my next build.

Cheaper, same weight, and not such a bitch to get initial tension to last over the first couple rides.
(because they're so flexy they bend in the middle instead of bedding in at the head)
If you go with the Rays, be sure to smuck the heads with a punch to help bedding.

Thanks for the tip.

Have you built with Sapim Lasers before? Based on your comments, I think I will leave the CX-Rays for a road build.

If anyone is looking, I was quoted $2/spoke at JH. They do have some lengths in stock, orders would be the same price but there would be a minimum. Cove quoted me about the same, but minimum of one box (72 spokes).

May 11, 2009, 12:29 a.m.

Haven't played w/Lasers, but the Race/CX-Rays have both held up to my hack/plow DH racing style. :)