Good jackets

July 7, 2020, 3:27 p.m.

How do the high end options hold up to mud/frequent washing? I am using a 12 year old Westcomb eVent hardshell for mtb that I retired from skiing like 6 years ago to mtb. The outer fabric DWR isn't refreshing very well anymore after many washes so a full day in the rain kinda sucks. Next in line is a Mountain Hardwear DryQ (eVent) hard shell that retired from skiing 3 years ago. I have an Arcteryx Rush for skiing/touring but it's too expensive to contemplate biking with.

July 7, 2020, 3:54 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

I had an Alpha SV and it was great but definitely not for mountain biking. Way too heavy/hot. I tried it once and even in December I totally cooked inside it. 

It's an alpine climbing jacket. For much colder temps and lower aerobic output.

For Mountain biking you need something ending in SL or LT.

I have the Alpha FL (fast light) from a few years ago that has now been demoted to bike jacket. I've sinced replaced it with the A2B jacked for strolling. (https://www.thelasthunt.com/products/arcteryx-mens-alpha-fl-jacket-llll-arc-18976?gclid=Cj0KCQjwupD4BRD4ARIsABJMmZ8HhWkoO_kl0jwOnL0lRTF6ibQ6ad6nrmbf1w0JbKtYHt3CBGnmpYgaAqRMEALw_wcB)

It's fantastic except for two things; 1) it's a light material which is great for heat management and pack-ability but not great for falls. I've come off the bike with it on once so far and it survived a crash onto dirt but I don't think it would do well going into rocks, I wear my arm pads over it which helps protect the elbows on the descents.

2) no pit zips.

Otherwise, great.

July 7, 2020, 4:31 p.m.

For those of you that own high quality gore-tex jackets - do you find that they are actually close to 100% waterproof? I have one of the highest end Arcteryx jackets (with the highest waterproof rating, etc.) and I took it for a hike recently in pretty heavy rain and it didn't take long for me to get absolutely soaked. Although perhaps some of the moisture I was feeling was due to sweat from overheating. Seemed kind of weird to me though that a jacket that retails for like $800 on the basis that it is super waterproof still can't keep you dry in the rain. Or perhaps I just need to treat it or something?

July 7, 2020, 4:47 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

For those of you that own high quality gore-tex jackets - do you find that they are actually close to 100% waterproof? I have one of the highest end Arcteryx jackets (with the highest waterproof rating, etc.) and I took it for a hike recently in pretty heavy rain and it didn't take long for me to get absolutely soaked. Although perhaps some of the moisture I was feeling was due to sweat from overheating. Seemed kind of weird to me though that a jacket that retails for like $800 on the basis that it is super waterproof still can't keep you dry in the rain. Or perhaps I just need to treat it or something?

What were you wearing under the jacket? My experience is that the performance of a waterproof jacket "feeling" waterproof is dependent on what you're wearing underneath. Cotton t-shirt in humid conditions with you working hard enough to sweat means you're going to feel damp. Same situation with a merino wool shirt and you'll  feel dry.

July 7, 2020, 5:28 p.m.

How old is the jacket? When was the last time you washed it to renew the waterproofing? Once a jacket gets dirty, its waterproofness falls off dramatically.

July 7, 2020, 7:21 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

What were you wearing under the jacket? My experience is that the performance of a waterproof jacket "feeling" waterproof is dependent on what you're wearing underneath. Cotton t-shirt in humid conditions with you working hard enough to sweat means you're going to feel damp. Same situation with a merino wool shirt and you'll  feel dry.

"Cotton t-shirt in humid conditions with you working hard enough to sweat means you're going to feel damp." - this may have been the problem

July 7, 2020, 7:22 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

How old is the jacket? When was the last time you washed it to renew the waterproofing? Once a jacket gets dirty, its waterproofness falls off dramatically.

Quite new and not heavily used but perhaps it was just me sweating too much

July 8, 2020, 4:15 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Quite new and not heavily used but perhaps it was just me sweating too much

We’re you wearing anything over it, like a pack or anything? I know neither of mine really work very well with something over them.

July 8, 2020, 11:37 a.m.

I’m surprised no biking jackets are being made out of the Gore C-Knit fabric. That might be my current fav Gore 3L. Too bad it’s not showing up on many pieces now. Ahh looks like they’ve abandoned that fabric now. 

If 7Mesh wants to have an absolute hack as a test mule; I’d be glad to help, ya know for science. 🤔

July 10, 2020, 4:37 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

I had an Alpha SV and it was great but definitely not for mountain biking. Way too heavy/hot. I tried it once and even in December I totally cooked inside it. 

It's an alpine climbing jacket. For much colder temps and lower aerobic output.

For Mountain biking you need something ending in SL or LT.

Thanks for that advice. I ended up going with the Beta SL for riding and picked up a Rush IS for boarding at half price. Thanks to cashing in my Amex points for Sporting Life gift cards and the sale they have on I paid $200 for $1700 worth of gear including a pair of Vans Implant snowboard boots.

If anybody is looking for a good deal on a jacket for winter sports or even in general, Sporting Life at Brentwood has most of their winter outerwear on sale right now for 50% off.

July 10, 2020, 8:14 p.m.

There are no good jackets. Wear a garbage bag.

July 13, 2020, 7:23 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

I’m surprised no biking jackets are being made out of the Gore C-Knit fabric. That might be my current fav Gore 3L. Too bad it’s not showing up on many pieces now. Ahh looks like they’ve abandoned that fabric now.

If 7Mesh wants to have an absolute hack as a test mule; I’d be glad to help, ya know for science. 🤔

The 7Mesh Guardian uses C-Knit.

Last edited by: robnow on July 13, 2020, 7:24 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 13, 2020, 7:50 p.m.

^Colour me surprised. I thought it was only Gore 3L Alpha. Wonder if this model has changed since the one I have.

July 17, 2020, 8:30 p.m.

Not sure if it still counts as a 'good' jacket, but I saw a Roach jacket / vest in the local second hand shop two days ago. Condition looked sweet.

I'm never going to be an XL, so passed the word on to a Canadian in the hood, it felt like a good deed anyway. (but what was the jacket doing here in South New Zanada in the first place?).

July 18, 2020, 9:43 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

^Colour me surprised. I thought it was only Gore 3L Alpha. Wonder if this model has changed since the one I have.

7mesh referer to it having a c-knit backer. Face fabric is goretex active. They did apparently make the change to the c-knit backer fairly recently. 

I was feeling pretty underwhelmed after owning a few top shelf jackets that just didn't breathe well enough. The Guardian is the only one I've tried that I can use on a high output ride without steaming myself alive.