Good jackets

April 27, 2020, 5:29 p.m.

So I'm sick of buying a new Raceface/Dakine/Chromag $100-150 jacket every year (because they all fall apart).

Of those here who have bit the bullet on a fancy jacket like 7mesh, any feedback?  Anything else I should look at?

April 27, 2020, 5:43 p.m.

I have a 7Mesh Guardian and my wife has a Revelation.  Love how light, durable and waterproof it is.  I commute with it everyday of the year that it rains, and its kept me dry and comfortable the all the time. As for the cons? The pockets are very strangely placed. The hood is pretty big( by design) so when you arent using it, it does tend to be in the way a bit. There are no pit zips if you run hot.  The Revelation seems to be the upgrade, with pit zips, and a detachable hood.  The hood on the Revelation is designed to be under your helmet, while the Guardian is over.

If you keep your eye out, you can find them on sale. The wife found hers on The Last Hunt for $200. I cant really vouch for their toughness in a crash, but I think there are some reviews on here that might speak to that.

April 27, 2020, 6:08 p.m.

I have an Acteryx Theta and it is fantastic for skiing, biking, hiking, living. I love it.

I never ride hard when I'm wearing it though so fortunately I've never crashed on

April 27, 2020, 6:16 p.m.

Awesome, thanks guys.

(And thaaad, that's the thing... I know once I have this I will never want to wear that cheap shit again)

April 28, 2020, 9:23 a.m.

You have discovered that cheap shit, in the long run isn’t cheap.

April 28, 2020, 11:03 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I've always known that.  It's just it hurts to think of how likely I'll be ripping a $600 jacket.

April 28, 2020, 11:33 a.m.

I have a water proof patagonia shell. Was 150 bux, had it 4 seasons riding in the winter muck and still in mint condition. Just because it's not technically a MTB jacket doesn't mean it doesn't do the job, it does.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on April 28, 2020, 11:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 28, 2020, 11:46 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I've always known that.  It's just it hurts to think of how likely I'll be ripping a $600 jacket.

If you look around, you wont have to spend that much.

https://www.ridleys.com/product/7mesh-guardian-jacket-mens-7628.htm

No idea what size you are, but there are deals to be had out there.

April 28, 2020, 12:26 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Nice.  Will look around some more then.

April 29, 2020, 3:53 a.m.

I have both a 7Mesh Revelation and Guardian. 

Oddly enough the Revelation is made of Gore Pro 3L while the Guardian is Gore Alpha 3L. I’m not sure what the face fabric weight is on each jacket. Both my jackets are the same size. I wear the Rev on the road bike and the Guardian for Mtn biking.

Revelation-

3L Pro

Removable hood

Lower arm vents

Slimmer fit

Shorter torso length  

Guardian-

3L Alpha

Fixed hood

No vents

Looser fit

That’s all I can add for now as a comparison. 

I’ve crashed while mtn biking in both jackets within the first two rides. Both jackets show no wear from the crash. 

I’ll post fit comparisons of both jackets if people want.

I’m looking at the Rapha Gore Pull-over now  😂🙄

Anymore questions ask away.

April 29, 2020, 3:58 a.m.

Oh Mission Supply/Acre have PolarTec jackets. DrewM raves about them. 

Norrøna Fjora and Skibotn jackets. Dri3 is their 3L line. I’ve had the Fjora Dri3 shorts for a good amount of years now. No issues with them.

April 29, 2020, 5:12 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Struth. I got my 7Mesh for $300.

April 30, 2020, 8:17 p.m.

The expensive shit can be repaired fwiw. Girlfriend sent off probably a decade old Arcteryx jacket to north van for a seam or zipper repair (I forget which). While they had it, they also replaced a panel or two they noticed was damage, all at no cost. I don't know what they'd do for tears due to crashing, but it's at least possible to patch the nicer stuff. Only caveat they said was to avoid the fall if possible, everyone gets their ski jackets out and discovers rips at the same time, so the repair times can be long then.

If your either extra big or extra small the Arcteryx factory store in north van has better deals than youll find online usually.

April 30, 2020, 9:54 p.m.

Posted by: wine+god

The expensive shit can be repaired fwiw. Girlfriend sent off probably a decade old Arcteryx jacket to north van for a seam or zipper repair (I forget which). While they had it, they also replaced a panel or two they noticed was damage, all at no cost. I don't know what they'd do for tears due to crashing, but it's at least possible to patch the nicer stuff. Only caveat they said was to avoid the fall if possible, everyone gets their ski jackets out and discovers rips at the same time, so the repair times can be long then.

If your either extra big or extra small the Arcteryx factory store in north van has better deals than youll find online usually.

Nice, good to know!

May 1, 2020, 12:02 a.m.

FWIW I got my Theta from a buddy who outgrew it, it had one seam that had come apart. Bought it for cheap with the intention of just paying to have it repaired or gluing it myself.

I took it in to the warranty center in North Van, told them I bought it second hand and was happy to pay for the repair. The guy at the desk basically said it didn't matter, it would likely get replaced anyways. About a week later I get a call asking me which size and colour I'd like for the replacement jacket. Showed up at my house a couple days later. Didn't even have to pay for shipping or anything.

I was blown away.