Going Tubeless - air compressor?

Feb. 19, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

So I've done a little bit of reading up on going tubeless and want to try it out… only problem is that I don't own an air compressor to seat my tires. For everyone that runs their tires tubeless - do you all own an air compressor or is there some sort of easier option? I know they have those special pumps now (Bontrager's TLR Flash Charge) but I'd rather not spend $120 on a pump. Any other legitimate options? I was thinking that I could get one of those presta to shrader converters and then just go to a gas station to use their pump, but this still sounds like it would be a bit of a hassle. Any advice for me? Thanks!

Feb. 19, 2015, 8:15 p.m.

So I've done a little bit of reading up on going tubeless and want to try it out… only problem is that I don't own an air compressor to seat my tires. For everyone that runs their tires tubeless - do you all own an air compressor or is there some sort of easier option? I know they have those special pumps now (Bontrager's TLR Flash Charge) but I'd rather not spend $120 on a pump. Any other legitimate options? I was thinking that I could get one of those presta to shrader converters and then just go to a gas station to use their pump, but this still sounds like it would be a bit of a hassle. Any advice for me? Thanks!

Yeah, an air compressor is definitely the way to go, although with some tire/rim combinations you can sometimes get the tire seated with a regular pump. Gas station is a good option, or a friend with a compressor?

Feb. 19, 2015, 8:16 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zws29VmHX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zws29VmHX4

I haven't tried this yet, I've had pretty good luck with just a normal floor pump in the past, but this seems like a really good option using presta valves from old tubes and some plastic hose with your regular non-$120 pump.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Feb. 19, 2015, 8:21 p.m.

try it with a floor pump. i've never had to use a compressor to date

one trick for making it easier to seat the tire: put a tube in the tire, inflate it, and leave it over night. next day, deflate the tube and carefully pull the bead off one side, then remove the tube; having one side well seated makes it less likely you'll bleed a lot of air while inflating. then pump like hell!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 19, 2015, 8:41 p.m.

I've been about 50% with a regular pump and the other times I used one at a shop or a gas station. I only have to do it a couple times a year so not a hassle, you can add sealant through the valve, but only really need to seat it when replacing tires

Feb. 19, 2015, 9:45 p.m.

CO2 Cartridge

http://www.mec.ca/product/5014-512/planet-bike-red-zeppelin-co2-inflator/?h=10+50039+50548+50552[HTML_REMOVED]f=10+50548

Feb. 19, 2015, 9:53 p.m.

Never had an issue with the regular floor pump.

Couple of suggestions.
1) remove the valve end from the stem, allowing more air to flow into the tire quickly
2) use lots of soapy water on the bead, dish soap and water in a bucket, I just use a rag to apply, make sure you get it on the whole bead (both sides, inside edge of tire) so the tire slips across the rim easily

Obviously, some rims and tires might be a more difficult fit, so the adapter at the gas station is an option too. Don't forget to take your soapy water with you.

Feb. 19, 2015, 10:52 p.m.

Compressors were needed a lot more often 3 or 4 years ago, but tyre technology has moved on and I've not had any issues seating tyres with a cheap floor pump in years now.

Mind you, I'm not overly adventurous with my tyre/rim combos: I've run exclusively Maxxis TR casing since they became available, and Specialized 2Bliss before that. Always on Stans rims.

Feb. 20, 2015, 4:21 a.m.

^^^this for a couple years now, stans flow hoops paired with maxxis tr rubber. never needed a compressor or soapy water. remove valve core for max air flow, no problem. done in minutes.

Feb. 20, 2015, 8:26 a.m.

kiteboard pump http://www.nrs.com/product/1701/nrs-wonder-pump-6
to seat the tire then switch back to a regular pump to finish off

Feb. 20, 2015, 4:04 p.m.

I've done a bunch of tubeless tires now, all with a little air compressor I have for my car that plugs in to the 12V cigarette lighter outlet. I think it cost me around $30 at crappy tire when I got it years ago. I just had to get a schrader to presta valve adapter ($2 at a bike shop)

It helps to have constant airflow into the tire as opposed to the on/off airflow you get with a hand pump.

Feb. 20, 2015, 4:25 p.m.

You can always try the air tank route (no compressor, fill it up at a service station and take it home).
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/5-gallon-portable-air-tank/A-p8474868e

Feb. 20, 2015, 7:45 p.m.

CO2 Cartridge

http://www.mec.ca/product/5014-512/planet-bike-red-zeppelin-co2-inflator/?h=10+50039+50548+50552[HTML_REMOVED]f=10+50548

Do these work well? If so this is probably the cheapest legit option

Feb. 21, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

I bought one of these on sale with a brad nailer for the same price. doesn't have a lot of air so it usually runs almost constantly when doing up a set of wheels but nothing works faster for seating and popping beads into place.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-3-gallon-air-compressor-0588381p.html#.VOjJqCGCOrU

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Feb. 22, 2015, 3:42 p.m.

Never had an issue with the regular floor pump.

Couple of suggestions.
1) remove the valve end from the stem, allowing more air to flow into the tire quickly
2) use lots of soapy water on the bead, dish soap and water in a bucket, I just use a rag to apply, make sure you get it on the whole bead (both sides, inside edge of tire) so the tire slips across the rim easily

Floor pump and soapy water works surprisingly well.