Giro Remedy

June 25, 2007, 11:53 a.m.

So I have had my Giro Mad Max 2 for a few years, and am looking at the Giro Remedy. I have read lots of reviews on mtbr.com, but was wondering if anyone here could give me a review. On mtbr there was not many cons about the helmet. If there is any, could you tell me? That is what I want to know. If you want do a whole review. The light blue and brown paintjob is sick, but is it a womens paintjob?

http://kamloopsbikes.blogspot.com

June 25, 2007, 12:03 p.m.

I've seen many guys with the light blue and brown so obviously it doesn't matter that much. And from what I know the only con is the lack of vents, therefore getting quite hot but I've never worn one, thats just what I've heard. Also, they have to fit right or else they make your head look huge.

June 25, 2007, 12:03 p.m.

outer profile is probably a bit bigger than other ff helmets out there.

I think the blue and brown is available for anyone
if it fits your head, then go for it

June 25, 2007, 12:07 p.m.

Thank you for your help! Does anybody else have any cons or pros for that matter? How would they fit with Oakley MX Crowbars? I will check before buying them, but does anybody know?

June 25, 2007, 12:20 p.m.

Should be fine. They sit in there as the Remedy is pretty wide (you can click the pic below for a bigger picture)

-sicklines.com

June 25, 2007, 12:31 p.m.

i find the paintjob isn't very solid - mine's really chipped and i haven't had it for that long. other than that, it's a fantastic helmet. i like how the liner is removable.

June 25, 2007, 12:46 p.m.

The clip that holds the visor in place is really flimsy too.

June 25, 2007, 12:47 p.m.

they are HUGE.. but i tried em on.. and they are super comfy.

June 25, 2007, 1:04 p.m.

Okay, thanks to everybody who has helped. Anything else I should consider?

June 25, 2007, 1:16 p.m.

I bought the carbon Remedy bc it's a half pound lighter. Ebay has some good deals on new helmets.

The Remedy fits me perfectly (I've got a perfect Giro head, apparently) so I've never really enjoyed any of the other ones. Good brands to consider Bell (good helmets, quite reasonably priced), Troy Lee (easily the sexiest but also the most expensive), Specialized (very cool) and Dainese (very cool, but also expensive - their carbon one is siiiiiick but way more expensive than the carbon Remedy). These are the main ones I'd look at but I'm sure there are other good choices out there.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 25, 2007, 1:20 p.m.

Yeah, I have looked at the Bell helmet, just didn't like the fit. The Troy Lees are super expensive, the Specialized helmets have a huge chin piece and seems weird on me. The Dainese are alright, but again expensive. I want a giro, as I have had great expirence (sp?) with my Mad Max.

June 25, 2007, 5:23 p.m.

I can't think of too many cons. Its a fat helmet, like others said, and the cheek pads give you chipmunk cheeks until they pack out, but other than that I have no complaints. Oh yeah, the matte paint does indeed suck but I'd bet the glossier stuff (like the blue/brown one) holds up OK. Average venting.

If it fits well, go for it

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 25, 2007, 5:55 p.m.

I think the Remedy is the best helmet for the money.

It's a bit bulky and hot, but I think it will protect better than the Mad Max 2 (just my perception having owned both). The only thing that I don't like is the plastic buckle, D-rings seem more solid, especially after hundreds of cycles. And they are just as easy to use with a little practice and dexterity.

As per the fit, some nice generalizations:

Bell: Round, ie you look like Charlie Brown
Giro: Oval, boring normal person
Specialized: Long and Narrow, some sort of alien?

June 25, 2007, 8:32 p.m.

i have the baby blue and brown remedy right now and used to have the grey one. personally i didnt find it that hot and i rode with it mid summer up at whistler a couple times. sold the grey one so that i could get the baby blue one. super comfy and the liner is removable…an awesome helmet for the price…worth spending the extra 75 over the bellistic

June 25, 2007, 10:16 p.m.

i really like my remedy carbon, no cons what so ever, looks cool feels great and has great protection and the price is good too, i would go for it