Ghost Bikes

March 25, 2017, 5:31 p.m.

Does anyone on here have any experience owning or riding any Ghost bikes? The 2017s are coming into MEC, and i have an eye on the SL AMR x5. It looks like it could be a great aggressive north shore shredder. My other option im debating is the '17 Trance Advanced 2. for 600$ more that would get me a carbon frame and wheels..most other spec is identical. The Ghost, being equipped with a short and wide cockpit just seems to me like its begging to be ridden harder and more aggressively than the longer and more narrow Trance cockpit.  Thoughts?

March 26, 2017, 5:20 p.m.

A couple of interesting reviews here of the current one here:

https://www.rei.com/product/897226/ghost-slamr-x5-275-bike-2016

Maybe it'd work for you. Worth thinking about re-sale values too unless you plan on keeping the bike for years. Even if you work at MEC and 25% off you'll still be losing a shed load of money. One of the many reasons some of the MEC staff I knew rode Transitions LOL...... Who is going to build the bike? You might get a perfect bike, signed off by a senior mechanic and will be totally dialed. Or you might get one thrown together by a trainee from the Clothing dept because the store manager is freaking out as there are too many bikes still in boxes (she never did figure out that bikes don't rot away if stored in a box....). Yes, I speak from experience..... Your call :)

March 27, 2017, 3:26 p.m.

If you get the Trance, budget for cockpit replacement. When I tried a large Advanced 1 at the Giant store, it had a 70mm stem and 750mm bars for some reason. Nicely spec'd bike other than those odd choices.

March 28, 2017, 11:35 a.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

A couple of interesting reviews here of the current one here:

https://www.rei.com/product/897226/ghost-slamr-x5-275-bike-2016

Maybe it'd work for you. Worth thinking about re-sale values too unless you plan on keeping the bike for years. Even if you work at MEC and 25% off you'll still be losing a shed load of money. One of the many reasons some of the MEC staff I knew rode Transitions LOL...... Who is going to build the bike? You might get a perfect bike, signed off by a senior mechanic and will be totally dialed. Or you might get one thrown together by a trainee from the Clothing dept because the store manager is freaking out as there are too many bikes still in boxes (she never did figure out that bikes don't rot away if stored in a box....). Yes, I speak from experience..... Your call :)

Resale value is no issue to me, Im looking for a bike to last me the next 5 years atleast. Ive heard that about MEC before...never knowing really who built the bike, would just have to take a real good look over it myself. 

Yeah, i have heard good and not so things...was hoping someone local had given it a shot on the local trails..hoping they get some demos in soon. Thanks for the info

March 28, 2017, 11:36 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

If you get the Trance, budget for cockpit replacement. When I tried a large Advanced 1 at the Giant store, it had a 70mm stem and 750mm bars for some reason. Nicely spec'd bike other than those odd choices.

Yeah, thats the only thing that worries me....seems to me that Giant wasnt expecting people to ride them too aggressively...or they just arent caught up on the new standards we are seeing on a lot of new bikes...short stems and long top tubes.

March 28, 2017, 1:33 p.m.

I had a Trance Advanced 1 on loan for a while. The drivetrain and suspension brands are different between the trance 1 and 2 but here are some general thoughts I had. It's light, the large Trance Advanced 1 I had was light 27.5 lbs with pedals! I found it very easy to pick up the front end to get over rocks and roots and such - especially on the climbs. The seatpost works well, its a bit clunky compared to others and the lever is a bit old school ( I prefer under the bar levers), I noticed the narrow bars right away ( I ride 800mm bars), but after a few rides I got used to them, the grips felt nice and the tires hooked up well enough for me. The wheels felt solid, I didn't think that they accelerated faster than my DT Swiss stuff but to me they definitely felt stiffer laterally.   It's definitely not a monster truck.

On both bikes I have no issues with the GX drivetrain or the guide brakes - I run these. The Giant has a newer spec trunion mount  Rockshox deluxe shock. The Ghost specs a KS Lev which is a nicer feeling seatpost IMO. The Ghost says it only comes with a 760mm handlebar, I'm pretty sure the giant was a 750mm.

March 28, 2017, 2:52 p.m.

Posted by: goodwrench

I had a Trance Advanced 1 on loan for a while. The drivetrain and suspension brands are different between the trance 1 and 2 but here are some general thoughts I had. It's light, the large Trance Advanced 1 I had was light 27.5 lbs with pedals! I found it very easy to pick up the front end to get over rocks and roots and such - especially on the climbs. The seatpost works well, its a bit clunky compared to others and the lever is a bit old school ( I prefer under the bar levers), I noticed the narrow bars right away ( I ride 800mm bars), but after a few rides I got used to them, the grips felt nice and the tires hooked up well enough for me. The wheels felt solid, I didn't think that they accelerated faster than my DT Swiss stuff but to me they definitely felt stiffer laterally.   It's definitely not a monster truck.

On both bikes I have no issues with the GX drivetrain or the guide brakes - I run these. The Giant has a newer spec trunion mount  Rockshox deluxe shock. The Ghost specs a KS Lev which is a nicer feeling seatpost IMO. The Ghost says it only comes with a 760mm handlebar, I'm pretty sure the giant was a 750mm.

How did you find its descending abilities? Im looking for the best descending trail bike without going to an enduro bike. 
Thanks for the info though...im currently on 750mm bars (i was actually shocked when i double checked their size) and am decently happy with them at 6ft tall..never ridden any wider.

March 28, 2017, 5:11 p.m.

Posted by: Kthorpe

How did you find its descending abilities? Im looking for the best descending trail bike without going to an enduro bike. 
Thanks for the info though...im currently on 750mm bars (i was actually shocked when i double checked their size) and am decently happy with them at 6ft tall..never ridden any wider.

It descends well, it's very capable. Like I said it's not a monster truck, you can't plow over everything. I good rider could ride it virtually everywhere, it's probably outgunned at the bike park though. Do you live in the lower mainland? My neighbor works for Giant, it's how I got to ride the Trance while waiting for Specialized to send me a warranty frame. If you do, i'm sure I could set up a demo ride for you. Also speaking of warranty, I just checked the Ghost site, they are 5 year warranty (possibly MEC warranty is better?) , Giant is lifetime (frame only of course). From what my neighbor says Giant bikes in Canada include 2 years of service, but don't quote me on that.

March 28, 2017, 7:57 p.m.

It descends well, it's very capable. Like I said it's not a monster truck, you can't plow over everything. I good rider could ride it virtually everywhere, it's probably outgunned at the bike park though. Do you live in the lower mainland? My neighbor works for Giant, it's how I got to ride the Trance while waiting for Specialized to send me a warranty frame. If you do, i'm sure I could set up a demo ride for you. Also speaking of warranty, I just checked the Ghost site, they are 5 year warranty (possibly MEC warranty is better?) , Giant is lifetime (frame only of course). From what my neighbor says Giant bikes in Canada include 2 years of service, but don't quote me on that.

That's good info, thanks! I'm in the lower mainland yeah, definitely keep you in mind for a demo! Not necessarily looking for a monster truck, just a trail bike that can descent the shore well.

March 28, 2017, 7:59 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

'best descending trail bike'.  shouldn't you be looking at the new Remedy, Troy, and Bronson? and maybe about 5 others?

If only I could afford a Bronson, but I'm looking for the best value in a good do it al trail bike. I don't think I'd be disappointed with the new trance!

March 29, 2017, 6:49 a.m.

'best descending trail bike'.  shouldn't you be looking at the new Remedy, Troy, and Bronson? and maybe about 5 others?

If only I could afford a Bronson, but I'm looking for the best value in a good do it al trail bike. I don't think I'd be disappointed with the new trance!

Haven't been on the new Trance, but had a Trance SX a rode for a couple of years.  Great bike, I had the aluminum version with upgraded suspension bits.  Worked well for everything I ride on the shore, solid technical climber, really digs in for traction if you stay seated and spin up the climbs.  

I think the new version will be a little stiffer, which is something I really never noticed until I got time on my new bike a Bronson with carbon frame.  The Bronson is much stiffer than the alu version of the 2014-2016 Trance.  I know not a straight up comparison.  Part of the reason Giant went to the new mount was to make the bike stiffer.   Both bikes are around the 29-30lb mark, so no really lightweight components.  The new Trance will be much lighter as noted at 27.5lbs.

Can't really go wrong these days with so many really good bikes out there.  Find one that fits well and you should be good to go.

March 29, 2017, 3:32 p.m.

Posted by: rideitall

Haven't been on the new Trance, but had a Trance SX a rode for a couple of years.  Great bike, I had the aluminum version with upgraded suspension bits.  Worked well for everything I ride on the shore, solid technical climber, really digs in for traction if you stay seated and spin up the climbs.  

I think the new version will be a little stiffer, which is something I really never noticed until I got time on my new bike a Bronson with carbon frame.  The Bronson is much stiffer than the alu version of the 2014-2016 Trance.  I know not a straight up comparison.  Part of the reason Giant went to the new mount was to make the bike stiffer.   Both bikes are around the 29-30lb mark, so no really lightweight components.  The new Trance will be much lighter as noted at 27.5lbs.

Can't really go wrong these days with so many really good bikes out there.  Find one that fits well and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the insight. Im thinking if i go with the trance, ill run a more aggressive cockpit, 2.6 tires and eventually put the yari up to 160mm.

March 29, 2017, 4:16 p.m.

I still have the Trance Advanced 1 in my possession. I have to give it back soon, probably after the weekend.  Just sayin...

March 29, 2017, 4:36 p.m.

Posted by: rideitall

Thanks for the insight. Im thinking if i go with the trance, ill run a more aggressive cockpit, 2.6 tires and eventually put the yari up to 160mm.

The only thing that put me off of the new Trance was the use of boost with the given fork, and the metric trunnion mount shock.  

Have been using Fox 36 RC2 forks for a number of years and iterations and quite like them.  Having the Fox 34 CTD (or equivalent didn't thrill me), with the boost wheelset, very nice wheelset I might add, finding a fork I would like Float 36 160 RC2 or Talas 36 160 RC2 would have been very pricey.  For the rear shock, given the use of new "standards" means a limited selection of shocks for the next little while.  

Have had enough Fox Float RP2, RP3, RP23, CTD ... to know I don't like them.  I did have a Monarch Plus RC3 on a Reign that worked better, but was not great.  So what other options are there on the rear shock with a metric size and trunnion mount.  

I might have been happy with the 34 Fit4 fork and the Float rear shock while I waited for other reasonably priced options to catch up, instead I kept looking at other bikes, Knolly Warden, Devinci Troy / Spartan, Transition Patrol ... Somewhere along the way the Bronson popped onto my radar and after searching for a while I found a good price on a Bronson.   Ironically, it has the Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair, I am still tweaking with it and will add some bands to see if I can get more out of it, but overall am thrilled about the fit and ride of the Bronson.  

To throw you in a totally different direction, if going 27.5 or 29 is not 100% required, there seem to be some smoking deals on 1 -2 year old very well spec'd 26" bikes.

March 30, 2017, 8:51 a.m.

I still have the Trance Advanced 1 in my possession. I have to give it back soon, probably after the weekend.  Just sayin...

Really appreciate the offer, unfortunately this weekend im too swamped with work related stuff to even get out for a ride :(. Thanks though!