Getting rid of DH bike

Aug. 30, 2018, 8:55 p.m.

Posted by: Eye-Of-One

Let it be known I also spend a very large portion primarily riding A-line and Dirt Merchant when I'm at the park. I dont weight a lot either and I'm a pretty smooth rider, I rarely break or have mechanicals. Most enduro bikes are pretty slack and seem to continue to get lower and longer.

Smooth meaning you're on DM or ALine for the whips?  If you feel the need for speed on those, you will demolish your bike if you ride the days when they're very due for maintenance.

For a few reasons I've spent almost this entire season on Dirty, A-Line, FT, AP, etc.  I've had to service it just as much as last year when all of Garbo tech was on the menu.  I have a new Capra that I've taken out a handful of times but there's no bloody way it would hold up like the Tues has.  That said, I'm in the triple digits.

If you don't want to rebuild your bike constantly and you like to go slow, you'll be good.

Aug. 31, 2018, 8:58 p.m.

^ You're Capra has what; 20mm less travel front and rear?  

I figure it has more to do with the dual crown vs. single crown fork.

Aug. 31, 2018, 10:09 p.m.

Yeah nah.

Sept. 3, 2018, 12:05 a.m.

OP.

I look at it this way. I own a DH/Park bike, I have paid for it and even though it doesn't get ridden a lot, would I ever replace it if I sold it? 

The answer for me is NO. 

A friend who used to race Pro DH, sold his DH bike, now he has a family, he won't be replacing that DH bike until his kids are racing DH, or they graduate and move out. ;)

So selling my " bike bike" isn't an option. I have it when I need/want it (Cypress shuttles mostly), or when the call comes from my friends to hit the Park for my "1 day" a season.

Chasing my friends through the park or down Cypress on a trail bike, while they are on DH bikes just isn't an option. 

Anyways, ask the right questions. You can ride the park on a hardtail, but is that what you want to do......

Sept. 3, 2018, 10:17 p.m.

I already sold my dh bike but...

This

is everything.

Sept. 3, 2018, 10:56 p.m.

That was fucking brilliant.

Sept. 4, 2018, 2:14 p.m.

I'm still riding my 2011 Podium at the bike park.

That said, I loved the park with my new Transition Patrol too. This was the first year of riding an enduro, and I am super impressed with their capabilities. 

We had this same conversation over pints at Dustys the other day, and my buddy put it best. 

He said "When the park is smooth, ride the lightweight and slack Enduro. But once Crankworx hits and the park gets completely bombed out, switch to the DH rig"

Riding my Patrol the last two weeks has done a year's worth of wear and damage to it. Again, still totally worth it, but I should have put it away come mid August and beat on the tank that is my Knolly.

Sept. 4, 2018, 4:43 p.m.

I just got rid of my old DH frame and got a new 2018 GT Fury frame for $600. It worked out well as I was able to swap over pretty much all my old parts to the new bike. Next year I'll pick up some new rims to go to 27.5 and re-use my Hadley hubs. I thought about getting rid of the DH bike altogether but for such a cheap price it's worth it to keep a DH rig around for park days as well as the odd Shore shuttle day where you just want to plow down the trails at high speed and not have to worry so much about finessing things.  It's also nice having a back-up bike in case the main ride is down for service. 

It's running 210mm rear and 200mm front. I've ridden small bikes and big bikes at the park and for the type of riding I prefer I find I'd much rather have a big bike for the park.

Sept. 6, 2018, 9:07 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I already sold my dh bike but...

This

is everything.

Exactly Cam, 

I can't even come close to doing that on my trail/enduro bike, but on my DH Bike....

;)

Sept. 7, 2018, 7:45 a.m.

My 180mm bike isn't quite right for park riding. 65* HA, 30t ring, 11-42 cassette, XT brakes, 2.3" tires. On the other hand it has a Fox Van RC2 180mm fork and a Vivid 5.1 coil shock. It's a bit cumbersome for climbing and trails and a bit light duty/wrong geo for DH/park. 

I see two bikes in my future.

Sept. 7, 2018, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: Madman

My 180mm bike isn't quite right for park riding. 65* HA, 30t ring, 11-42 cassette, XT brakes, 2.3" tires. On the other hand it has a Fox Van RC2 180mm fork and a Vivid 5.1 coil shock. It's a bit cumbersome for climbing and trails and a bit light duty/wrong geo for DH/park. 

I bet it's great for freeriding.

Sept. 7, 2018, 6:36 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Madman

I bet it's great for freeriding.

Sure is. With a 36t ring, 2.5" up front and some bigger brakes I'm sure I'd be a lot happier on it in the park.