Getting rid of DH bike

Aug. 28, 2018, 11:26 p.m.

So my question/thoughts. I've always had a full Dh rig that I exclusively ride at WBP. I'll usually get about 13-18 days in the park a season.  The bike sits waiting for next season as I do not shuttle. Since trail bikes are so good now I'll ride it everywhere else. My current trail bike is 2018 RM BC edition. On a few pedals days this season I grabbed a few laps in the park and had so much fun on the smaller bike that it's got me wondering if I really need the Dh rig. Of course I'll never go to one bike because who wants to do that. Thing is the big bikes can take a beating. And long term i definitely wouldn't want to do that to my main trail bike. Anyone else running a dedicated enduro type park rig. 170mm forks about max? 180mm even a thing. Id like to talk about some set ups. What your thoughts.

Aug. 28, 2018, 11:55 p.m.

Enduro bikes can be ridden in the bike park.

If the thought of the bike park puts a spring in your step, and if you find yourself planning your seventh visit you’d be doing yourself a disservice riding an undergunned weapon there.

Aug. 29, 2018, 6:19 a.m.

I'm not riding WBP (I'm from the east coast) but I'm doing a lot of lift-assisted riding at MSA.

I just picked up a Devinci Spartan 27 LTD. It has 165mm rear and the new Lyrik RC2 with 180mm travel up front. It's an enduro race bike, but I guess with a coil-over shock and DH casings, you could have a lot of fun at the Whistler bike park. The bike rips!

Aug. 29, 2018, 7:53 a.m.

check out what a rental costs per day/how much you will spend on your DH bike + DH bike maint. I don't get to any park often enough to validate a big bike. so I have a bike that is the solution for me where I am and rent when I'm at a chairlift. 

don't discount the fact that you are kicking the crap out of your enduro/trail bike in a bike park, yes they can do it, but there is a reason downhill bikes are built the way they are. 

the trade off  (for me) was somewhere around 10-15 days (depending on the cost of the rental), so you are right on the cusp. Reductimat mentioned 7 and he spends a lot more time in the park so I'd take his word.

Aug. 29, 2018, 7:59 p.m.

Posted by: HeyZeus

check out what a rental costs per day/how much you will spend on your DH bike + DH bike maint. I don't get to any park often enough to validate a big bike. so I have a bike that is the solution for me where I am and rent when I'm at a chairlift. 

don't discount the fact that you are kicking the crap out of your enduro/trail bike in a bike park, yes they can do it, but there is a reason downhill bikes are built the way they are. 

the trade off  (for me) was somewhere around 10-15 days (depending on the cost of the rental), so you are right on the cusp. Reductimat mentioned 7 and he spends a lot more time in the park so I'd take his word.

Im in the same boat as you, I figure if I get to the BP 10-15 times in a season ($1K to 2K in rentals) Ill need to start looking a used rental bike

As tough as enduro bikes are, theres nothing better designed for the beating that the BP can put on a bike- 8X8

Aug. 29, 2018, 9:11 p.m.

Talked to a guy who works at Spicy Sports in Whistler. He has gotten rid of his dh rig & built up his Norco Range for the park. Saint brakes, stronger wheelset, coil shock etc. May be one option.

Thread killer

Aug. 29, 2018, 10:07 p.m.

I went for a while without a dh bike one year, I ride park and trail 50/50.. pretty much broke everything on my kona process. Maybe if you slap on coil, heavy wheelset, dh rubber it would be fine but I prefer a dh bike.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Aug. 29, 2018, 10:09 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 30, 2018, 7:35 a.m.

Dang, I’m looking to press my Process into bike park duty next year as the rental prices can make a $60 day turn into a $200 day. What broke? I’m expecting the stock wheels to give out if I don’t pick up a more burly set and I’m already running a coil.

I guess I’d also have to sit down and look at operating costs for a DH rig - initial cost plus yearly maintenance vs the park putting years on the Kona. DH rigs also sit out the non park season so it’s easier to spread out maintenance and costs as they won’t need to be ridden until the BP opens again?

Aug. 30, 2018, 8:45 a.m.

No regrets selling my DH bike , I do regret selling my 2012 Kona Entourage DLX, that was a very fun bike at WBP and locally on the bigger trails. I do plan on building a bigger travel 29er to replace the Entourage . Toying with the idea of a over built Process 29er if I can get some seat time to see if it suits me.

Aug. 30, 2018, 10:05 a.m.

I'm taking my Specialized Enduro 29 (coil front and rear) to coast gravity park in September, my only park day this summer :(

Have been toying with the idea of swapping my coil Ohlins fork for a lowered Dorado that Zac at Smithtech/Manitou has graciously offered to dial in for me. Thoughts NSMB hive mind?

Last edited by: rnayel on Aug. 30, 2018, 10:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 30, 2018, 6:05 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

Dang, I’m looking to press my Process into bike park duty next year as the rental prices can make a $60 day turn into a $200 day. What broke? ...

Curious about this too.  Understand that DH bike is the correct tool for the job, but if you change out/maintain the pivot bearings & regularly service suspension what's the trouble with running the enduro bike?

I'd likely run a separate heavier duty wheelset & tires. I've already got the hubs, so be fairly cheap.

Aug. 30, 2018, 6:23 p.m.

To be fair, I put a lot of days on that 2013 process, and broke the fork and shock keeping up on maintenance better would have probably prevented it. I was a hack mechanic back then.

I am a park guy and ride there a lot, so no substitute for me, but if I lived further away or rode the park less I would probably not have a dh bike because bikes are really expensive.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Aug. 30, 2018, 6:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 30, 2018, 6:24 p.m.

I was doing 15-25 days in Whistler the past few summers and having a dedicated DH rig makes riding there so much more enjoyable IMO. Yeah, a modern enduro bike with Saints, burly wheels, DH tires and a beefy coil shock will be fine, but the slacker/lower geo, extra travel and dual crown fork just make it so much more fun (and safer) to go fast, at least for me. I've talked to a few enduro racers that say they are faster in WBP on their enduro bikes except on the Canadian Open and Garbo races.

I sadly ended up selling my DH bike last month as we just had a kid. It was still worth a lot so I didn't want to watch it depreciate to zero while getting 1-2 days a season the next few years... bike park for me is a full day commitment so not feasible to get many days so trail riding only for a while... I would rent if I get the odd day but not a huge fan of rental bikes: questionable maintenance, never the right weight coil if it's not air shock, garbage tires etc. But I will 100% buy another DH bike in a few years and look forward to taking the little guy up when he's ready... and seeing him surpass my jump skills instantly haha. 

OP I know you said you don't shuttle, but some of the Cypress stuff is super fun on a DH bike, good warm up for the park in spring.

Last edited by: grambo on Aug. 30, 2018, 6:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 30, 2018, 7:16 p.m.

Let it be known I also spend a very large portion primarily riding A-line and Dirt Merchant when I'm at the park. I dont weight a lot either and I'm a pretty smooth rider, I rarely break or have mechanicals. Most enduro bikes are pretty slack and seem to continue to get lower and longer.

Aug. 30, 2018, 8:50 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Have been toying with the idea of swapping my coil Ohlins fork for a lowered Dorado that Zac at Smithtech/Manitou has graciously offered to dial in for me. Thoughts NSMB hive mind?

Great idea.  I toyed with the idea of a Formula Nero R or Öhlins DH Race fork lowered slightly for the front of my bike. Ended up with a GRIP2 36 instead.