Getting back into riding: use old bike or get new?

June 4, 2018, 4:57 p.m.

I am looking at getting back into riding after breaking my back over 10 years ago. I have kept my old bike \( 2004 Santa Cruz VP-Free with a 2003 Marzocchi Super T \) and it is dialed in to exactly how I wanted it for my old riding style. The bike has sat basically unused for the past 10 years and I have kept up maintenance on it so I have no concerns about the frame failing.

Overall the only thing I need to change out is the fork as that has taken a beating and I don't need anything that beefy as I won't be doing anything that intense anymore. Is it worthwhile to just get a single crown and adjust the geometry on my existing bike or has mountain bike technology progressed enough that it is more worthwhile to get a newer lower end bike and just keep the vpfree around for posterity?

Thanks for any suggestions

June 4, 2018, 5:13 p.m.

having somewhat recently gone through this exercise \(2005 SX trail\), depending on your budget and what you plan to be riding I would say go for a newerish used bike. There are lots of good deals out there on 2-5 yr old bikes that should make you happy.

June 4, 2018, 11:11 p.m.

As ratios go, I see more happy faces on 26ers at Whistler than I do from those of us on the newest of fancy bikes.

Take the old girl out for some reacquaintance laps and decide later.

June 5, 2018, 10:42 a.m.

Eh. Just keep sending it on the VPPig. When you're back in the saddle, ditch it and get something newer. It's worth almost nothing now, that won't change in 6 months of riding it.

June 5, 2018, 10:53 a.m.

Ride whatcha got and figure out what your needs are. Most people are riding 4"-6" travel bikes for most stuff now...maybe keep the VPFree for park days? I have friends still riding their old Knolly DT's around and slaying..nothing wrong with old gear. With that said, bikes are pretty great right now...and if you have the funds to get a new ride, I would do it.

June 5, 2018, 11:36 a.m.

The only issue with using the bike as is being that I am about 40 pounds heavier than I was when I rode this on the regular. Finding a set of heavy springs for the Super T to replace the medium ones I think are in it currently might be a bit tough.  Will see what I can find though as I do love this bike and as mentioned it is not worth anything anymore.

June 5, 2018, 12:03 p.m.

Yup!

Jumped on an RM7 the other day, felt like Calvin pretending to be a T-Rex. Forgot how nice long travel coil sprung suspension can be.

I say pop the pivot seals on that VP & repack with grease, get suspension serviced, bleed brakes... go crush Tokyo.

June 5, 2018, 12:47 p.m.

Finding a straight tube LT single crown could also be an issue.  

Start riding the VP Free and if you get back into riding your next bike will likely find you.

June 5, 2018, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Yup!

Jumped on an RM7 the other day, felt like Calvin pretending to be a T-Rex. Forgot how nice long travel coil sprung suspension can be.

7" of travel up down & side to side !

But seriously OP I think the bikes, the riding and the trails have changed a lot in 10 yars, so ride what you got until you can figure out what you want next, the bigger wheels are a big thing

June 5, 2018, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Yup!

But seriously OP I think the bikes, the riding and the trails have changed a lot in 10 yars, so ride what you got until you can figure out what you want next, the bigger wheels are a big thing

I remember switching to a 26" rear wheel on my old super 8 being a huge change so the thought of going even bigger weirds me out. plus these fancy auto adjusting seats and electric assist downhill bikes, feels like I need to start yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

June 5, 2018, 1:30 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Finding a straight tube LT single crown could also be an issue.  

Start riding the VP Free and if you get back into riding your next bike will likely find you.

I have noticed that, buying a used fork that is more than 5 years old scares me a bit.

June 5, 2018, 2:55 p.m.

Posted by: TheHam069

Yup!

I remember switching to a 26" rear wheel on my old super 8 being a huge change so the thought of going even bigger weirds me out. plus these fancy auto adjusting seats and electric assist downhill bikes, feels like I need to start yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

yeah with bigger wheels/longer WB I wondered if I could actualy get a 29 around them modern nicely manicured banked switchback turns but my worries were completely unfounded,  instead of having to pick lines I can just ride faster over everything, the 1x narrow wide never drops chains, the brakes are better, better suspension everything is just better and more expensive

And on that note you might want carbon but not sure you need it

and If you buy an E-bike you will have Lee yelling at you

June 5, 2018, 4:52 p.m.

Posted by: TheHam069

Yup!

yeah with bigger wheels/longer WB I wondered if I could actualy get a 29 around them modern nicely manicured banked switchback turns but my worries were completely unfounded,  instead of having to pick lines I can just ride faster over everything, the 1x narrow wide never drops chains, the brakes are better, better suspension everything is just better and more expensive

And on that note you might want carbon but not sure you need it

"Need it" has never really factored into my purchase decisions haha.  Now I know what an E-bike is, Lee need not worry, I will be yelling "get off my lawn" on that one.

June 5, 2018, 5:16 p.m.

that's probably the single best reason to actually buy an ebike

June 5, 2018, 5:55 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

that's probably the single best reason to actually buy an ebike

You don't need an e-bike for that. Just write something friendly and polite. I'm sure he'll come running to tell you off.