Getting back into mountain biking - need some guidance

Nov. 1, 2017, 4:31 p.m.

Hi All,

This is another one of those annoying - 'what bike should I get' threads.

About me: Riding most of my life, spent my teens riding XC and Fromme on my 90's era Norco Torrent hardtail with a 2.5" fork - learned how to ride skinnies and trials-style which suited the trails back then. Moved on from that and raced road and cyclocross competitively and am now wanting to make the change back to mountain bikes - for fun and also perhaps to whet my appetite to do events like the BCBR and the like. Also ride motorcycles, sport bikes mainly, but will throw in some dirt and flat track on occasion. And so, I'm comfortable on two wheels and on 'dialing' bike setups, however my focus now is on accessible fun.

What I want to ride: I'm comfy and prefer super technical riding, however am at an age where I really can't afford to hurt myself too badly as before. And so, bombing down Cypress at Mach 10 doesn't' really appeal to me, however riding some flowy stuff and getting through a trail smoothly is more my style. I live in Vancouver proper and so my jaunts will be Fromme, Seymour, Burnaby mountain, Squamish, and whatever else you would recommend.

The bike: I am looking at Norco's as I'm able to get them at reasonable prices. That and they've always given me a good bang-for-buck for my needs; I don't need the best, but I'm willing to pay for proper suspension. I am however confused with all this new technology - 27+ this, 29er that, boost, blah blah blah and am pretty lost as well as I know the trends are now for 'slack, low, and long'.  As my focus is on fun first, thoughts on bikes for my background and anticipated trails of interest? What other things should i be looking for and aware of? I'm really siding towards a Norco Optic A1 (29er) as it seems to strike a reasonable balance of something that can pedal well that will still handle some of the more challenging trails.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks for your time!

Nov. 1, 2017, 5:32 p.m.

It's getting to be a good time to buy used as prices are starting to fall cause people need cash for winter activities and gear. I've been in kinda the same boat (still riding a 12yr old bike) and have been looking for a couple months now. New bikes with updated geometry are miles ahead of what people used to ride. From what you describe a 29'er like a Transition Smuggler, Devinci Django or Specialized Enduro will be a fun bike - easy to climb and capable on the downs. 27.5 bikes will be in your wheelhouse too, will climb a little worse than 29'ers but be more capable descenders. It all depends where your priorities lie and of course your skill level as a rider. I'm leaning more towards having slightly better capability on the downs and letting my fitness take care of the ups.

Have a read through my thread on the same thing, there's some good info in there from a bunch of different people.

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/looking-for-a-newish-aggressive-xc-or-enduro-light-bike-129593/

Last edited by: syncro on Nov. 1, 2017, 5:33 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 1, 2017, 7:24 p.m.

Stay away from Transition unless you dig pedal strikes. 

Forget about + bikes if you're competing, besides, w/advent of the 2.6 size you can get your fat on w/standard 27.5 geo.

Did you see......... https://nsmb.com/articles/spot-mayhem-29-north-shore/ ..........drool.

Nov. 1, 2017, 7:30 p.m.

The Optic is a great all-rounder but certainly more of a 'trail' bike. It'll roll over stuff really well but if you are hitting things hard and riding some gnarlier trails then you might wish for more suspension. I changed my mind a million times over what bike to get recently and in a complete turn-around ended up buying a 2018 Norco Range C3 and doing some minor mods to it. I was intrigued by the DVO suspension and the price was good. It doesn't claim to be a lightweight XC bike but I've been surprised at how well it climbs. It's really good on techy climbs. Then downhill it's a hoot. I've set the bike up fairly stiff so it pedals well but when things get smashy the suspension is composed and the bike holds a line really well. 

If you want a bike that's 50/50 in terms of uphill and downhill, then of course there is the Sight. Certainly if you are looking to do the likes of the BCBR but still want something that will take some hits. I'm happy that I went for the Range instead though for riding around here.

Nov. 1, 2017, 9:13 p.m.

Devinci 29" Django is a bit more travel than the Optic , but I bet you would enjoy it . I am loving mine . I did 3 enduro races in 2016 , I was on my Kona Process 167 . Other than a couple sections that the slackness and travel would have paid off , I bet my results would have been better on the smaller travel bike .

Nov. 2, 2017, 12:17 a.m.

Since you seem pretty set on Norco, go and demo a Range and a Sight and see what you like. You've only got to demo two bikes, should be doable. No amount of internet comments and reviews can answer the question if bike xyz is right for YOU and YOUR riding. For something like the BCBR, you might even want to consider an Optic. If you've got the funds, an Optic and a Range should cover most of your mtb needs. Plus, two bikes are always better than one... ;) But, really, do yourself a favour and ride them (and not just in the parking lot) before you buy them. Also, if possible, demo other bikes. Especially since you're new to new-school geometry, it will give you some perspective on the Norcos. Swapping bikes with someone on the trails could be enough.

Nov. 2, 2017, 7:27 a.m.

I'd say the Sight A1 29 if you're stuck on getting a Norco.

Nov. 2, 2017, 10:01 a.m.

Welcome back!

If you are sticking with Norco take a Sight 29 and 27 for a test ride. I am a firm believer in the goodness of bigger wheels...but they are not for everyone. Ride a few bikes and get the one that puts the biggest smile on your face!

Bikes have gotten a lot better since you rode last and the trails are mostly built with more flow than they were back then, it will be a learning curve for ya....but you will end up going faster and having more fun on the new bikes.

Nov. 2, 2017, 12:45 p.m.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the comprehensive responses and feedback. The spot article (https://nsmb.com/articles/spot-mayhem-29-north-shore/) as well as the video that @syncro posted (https://youtu.be/Ptk3qUDlj_o) is part of the reason that I've been looking at 'lower' travel bikes. From what I've read, geometry is the 1st priority (~66 HA, ~74 SA) with wheel size a close second, dictating how 'quick' a bike can transition. Moreover, I'm a smaller dude as well (5'7, 145lbs) and so don't necessarily feel I need significant travel to blast through humps and chunder - however please correct me as it's been a while since I've ridden the 'newer' style trails. I will attempt to demo both the optic and sight in 27.5 or 29er - does anyone know a good place around the Vancouver area where I can rent or demo these bikes?

@syncro, good to see that you're posting elsewhere given BCSB is dead. Perhaps we can go for a ride on mountain bikes one day once I get a new steed.

Nov. 2, 2017, 1:09 p.m.

You probably can't go wrong with an inside line on a Norco .

Nov. 2, 2017, 3:25 p.m.

and don't forget the Burnaby mountain air skills park - it's a great place to practice, er, skills without some of the other high consequence issues of the shore like hitting trees or flying off the side of the mountain

Nov. 2, 2017, 6:09 p.m.

recently upgraded from a 12 yr old bike to a 29er enduro bike, 29/ 1x/ narrow wide/ clutch derailers/ dropper seat posts/ slack geometery, these bikes are awesume! 

ride a few and see what speaks to you