Gear that has improved my riding this off season

Jan. 21, 2022, 5:16 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

The people that look broken down to me are the typical middle-aged folks with sedentary jobs and  junk food/Netflix habits. 

The current crop of MTB pants are great as they pedal well with knee pads and don't overheat. Race Face and Endura both make solid options.

I'm a fan of the sticky shoe + pedal combo. I'd much rather have new pedals/shoes be too grippy than not grippy enough. As they age both items get less grippy with wear/damage. So if they start off a bit too grippy a few months later they'll still work well. If they start out just okay they'll start slipping as they wear and that's not safe nor fun. Since you can remove pins it seems like a combo that's too grippy could be adjusted strategically by just removing a few pins until you hit the right amount of grip.

That fits in well with your MkI vs MkII human thing you had going in that other thread. The difference in physical capabilities between people who haven't taken care of themselves and the ones that have starts to become really obvious around our age. Although one thing I've really noticed over the past 5yrs is the number of kids/teens with shitty posture has skyrocketed. Of course there's no surprise that there's a strong correlation the rise of social media and phone use in the same category. Any younger person looking for some secure job options in the future should look into physiotherapy as they will be friggin busy fixing people with mangled spines.

Jan. 24, 2022, 4:57 p.m.

+1 for weighted blankets, I've been sleeping much better since I got one and am finding it's easier to fall asleep as well.

Jan. 24, 2022, 5:28 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Any younger person looking for some secure job options in the future should look into physiotherapy as they will be friggin busy fixing people with mangled spines.

Good suggestion. It seems like any medical field should provide ample employment for the next 30-40 years.

Feb. 27, 2022, 4:11 p.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

Posted by: Vikb

There is no "off season", but gear that's been great for the last month or so of colder, wetter/snowier riding has been:

1. Full coverage MTB fenders

2. [Mostly] waterproof MTB shoes. 

3. Insulated/comfortable fitting MTB gloves.

I've been able to get out several times a week and ride comfortably in the forest over the last month.

I've only worn them twice, but hiking gaiters are also worth an honourable mention. I'll have them in my arsenal for really wet/cold rides as they keep that critical shoe/sock/lower leg area dry from tire spray

Oh ya and another item that's been key is a nice glove/shoe dryer. We've had one for year and now got a second so my GF and I don't fight over who gets to use it. Ideal for days when I want to do both a morning and an afternoon ride.

The exact same here.  

The combination of front & rear fenders, RaceFace Agent (now called Conspiracy I think) mostly waterproof pants, 5-10 Trailcross Gore-Tex shoes, and 100% Hydromatic gloves has been an absolute game changer for riding this winter.  Once I add a 7mesh jacket to my wardrobe I will be ready for the next atmospheric river.

The Gore-Tex shoes and Hydromatic gloves do such a good job of repelling water that I am using the shoe dryer to take care of any residual sweat and warm them up before the next ride.

I just picked up a used (but basically like new) 7mesh Skypilot jacket and oh my gawd I cannot get over how amazing it works.  My "off season" riding kit is now complete.  I recently had my wife spray me down with the garden hose after a particularly muddy ride and I was still completely dry under my jacket, pants, gloves, and shoes...  I even forgot to take my phone out of the front pocket of my pants but it didn't even matter.

Proper gear makes such a difference.  My choices used to be: 1. Stay inside and be warm & dry, or 2. Go ride in my normal riding gear and get so soaked and muddy that I'd basically be turned off riding in the rain for months on end and choose option #1...  Having a 3rd option is such a privilege.  It's taken me over a year to assemble it all, but now that I have it I am actually excited to get out when it's gross.

Feb. 27, 2022, 7:45 p.m.

the quality and performance of those 7mesh jackets is astounding eh. i'm highly impressed by mine.